Splinter Cell: Conviction

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
Searched, but no dedicated thread popped up. Anywho here's a recent review of a hands on portion from Splinter Cell: Conviction. All I can say is that I'm lovin it!!! Great to hear that the development time was worth the wait.

"The last time we were in control of Sam Fisher -- aka the X10 demo -- he was sneaking, shooting and (neck) snapping his way through a mansion in Malta, tracking down the man he believed had information about his daughter Sarah's killer. Recently, I played through a new section of Splinter Cell: Conviction, which picked up right where the previous demo abruptly ended -- with a a team of Third Echelon forces breaking up Sam's one-man operation.

Forced to surrender, Sam's put on a plane and "brought home" for questioning about a plot to bring down Washington, DC with an EMP attack. Handling the transport is Black Arrow, a private military contractor, and it's this outfit's private airbase that serves as the setting for the game's second level. It presented me with new challenges, specifically staying out of site in some really wide-open spaces. I was reminded of Metal Gear Solid more than once, what with patrolling guards, stacked crates and roaming flood lights to negotiate.

My ultimate goal in the level was to escape in a car, which was parked just outside the base's main gate -- exactly the kind of place a black ops agent goes sneaking around if he wants to get himself killed. That being the case, the objectives were still clear: remain hidden, kill as many mercenaries as possible and destroy any assets they could use to pursue me or to alert their employer that I'd escaped.

It was tense from the get-go. My first challenge was completely counter-intuitive to the way I'd been "trained" to play stealth games -- I had to step out into the open in front of two guards. Of course, before making my move, I waited until a third enemy had just passed my hidden location with his back to me. Meanwhile, crouched behind a crate, I "tagged" (a gameplay mechanic to set up strategic, swift takedowns) the two enemies facing my direction. Then I stepped out, grabbed the third enemy and took him down using a swift hand-to-hand move -- this gave me three "execute" markers, turning the marks above the other mercs' heads red. With a quick tap of the Y button, I deftly squeezed off two rounds and my problems were gone. The entire sequence took only seconds, but was so satisfying.

The next scenario played out inside one of the air field's hangers. Using my newly acquired fiber-optic snake cam, I peered under a door and tagged the enemy I could see. Standing back up, I could still see his marker on the other side of the door,. Rather than bust through and surprise him, but risk altering many more enemies I hadn't seen, I decided to patiently wait for the "bad" guy to move along. Slipping inside, I executed a few marked targets as silently as possible, but was spotted by an enemy that came rushing up some nearby stairs to investigate the commotion I'd made. As I headed into cover, a "shadow" of my last known position was created -- Objectives: remain hidden, kill as many mercs as possible and destroy any assets they can use.
the spot where enemies would start looking for me -- and I slyly crept away and climbed a pipe, eventually moving along the ceiling, from where I took down the remaining guards.

After planting some C4 on a helicopter in the hanger (now they couldn't possibly use it to chase after me, that's for sure) I was on to sabotage the base's electrical room. The only problem was that it happened to be some 500 yards away, across a large, open and well-lit area. That and oodles of mercs.

How to get there? Taking out any lights was a good first step. I found the game's use of unconventional light sources as obstacles -- like an idling truck's headlights -- to be a clever touch. Shooting out each light was an obvious red flag to the mercs, however, and they stepped up their patrolling, rifles drawn. Tagging them to maintain a rough idea of where they were in relation to my position proved indispensable in this situation, as I slowly moved between crates, stalking lone enemies and taking them down hand-to-hand in order to earn execute markers. It took me three or four attempts to pull off this section in a fashion befitting of a super-spy (y'know, without dying). But once properly executed, my strategy definitely made me feel like a completely badass silent predator.

I eventually made it out of the base alive and headed for DC, but that's a tale for another time. What I do want to talk about now are the weapon stashes located at checkpoints throughout each level. You see, kills (and their levels of stealthiness) rewarded me with points that I could spend not only on new weapons (a primary and secondary can be carried, along with two grenade types) at these stashes, but upgrades to them. These included better stocks (improved accuracy) and scopes (additional execute "slots"). Once a weapon is purchased and upgraded, it's always available from a stash -- even in co-op.

It seems like it's been forever in the making, but Splinter Cell: Conviction will finally release next month, and I have to say I'm glad Ubisoft took its time. So far, the game hits on all points and appears to keep this now classic franchise relevant among other modern stealth-action games."

https://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/splinter-cell-conviction-preview/

Didnt read the post incase of spoilers, because if I manage to pick this up eventualy (as well as a Xbox360) then wanna play it fresh.

From trailers and what not that I've seen though looks great. Love splinter cell. Hope it comes to PS3 eventually. Michael Ironside is great as fisher :rock

Didnt read the post incase of spoilers, because if I manage to pick this up eventualy (as well as a Xbox360) then wanna play it fresh.

From trailers and what not that I've seen though looks great. Love splinter cell. Hope it comes to PS3 eventually. Michael Ironside is great as fisher :rock

No spoilers in the post, other than what's been mentioned in the past games and trailers. I seriously doubt its coming to the PS3. I think MS shelled out big $$ for this to be their baby.

~~Agree with Ironside as the voice. I still have my fingers crossed that one day we'll get either an animated movie or a live action movie from this series.

No spoilers in the post, other than what's been mentioned in the past games and trailers. I seriously doubt its coming to the PS3. I think MS shelled out big $$ for this to be their baby.

~~Agree with Ironside as the voice. I still have my fingers crossed that one day we'll get either an animated movie or a live action movie from this series.

Will have a read of it then. Last I heard of it (around time of double agent) it was stuck in development hell. Maybe the success of this will boost hollywood interest in it.

Who ever would end up playing fisher, will be difficult to get used to it not being Ironside, his voice just suits Fisher so much and would be terrible if somebody tried to imitate it. Same with Solid Snake, David Hayter is THE voice of snake and find it difficult imaging someone else doing the voice. Atleast if it was a animated movie or something then there would be the possibility of using Ironside

Didnt think it would come to PS3 :monkey2 Was just wishful thinking. If collectible releases permit it then will try and pick up an Xbox at some point. Only got PS3 for MGS4 :D There have been other great games but if MGS4 went exclusive to Xbox then would have got Xbox instead :lol

Man I wish this was coming to PS3.

Reading the 1st post it sounds like my perfect game.! Where have all the great 3rd person stealth action games gone? (Apart from MGS4).

I've alwaysloved Splinter Cell.

Who ever would end up playing fisher, will be difficult to get used to it not being Ironside, his voice just suits Fisher so much and would be terrible if somebody tried to imitate it. Same with Solid Snake, David Hayter is THE voice of snake and find it difficult imaging someone else doing the voice. Atleast if it was a animated movie or something then there would be the possibility of using Ironside

Didnt think it would come to PS3 :monkey2 Was just wishful thinking. If collectible releases permit it then will try and pick up an Xbox at some point. Only got PS3 for MGS4 :D There have been other great games but if MGS4 went exclusive to Xbox then would have got Xbox instead :lol
Absolutely. Which is why I almost prefer an animated movie...as long as the production and story are top notch.
Man I wish this was coming to PS3.

Reading the 1st post it sounds like my perfect game.! Where have all the great 3rd person stealth action games gone? (Apart from MGS4).

I've alwaysloved Splinter Cell.

Never say never...Remember, these days "exclusive" is hardly set in stone. Ninja Gaiden games were supposedly 360 exclusives just as Metal Gear is supposed to stay on PS3. This can change at any moment depending on the $$$

~~I wish there were more stealth games. Seems like all we have left are Splinter Cell, Tenchu, and Batman (I'm not sure its stealth?). The new Metal Gear Rising is rumored to be---action??

With the new metal gear I hope theres a option to take on a more stealth approach since your a cyborg ninja. Will kinda suck if can only go in guns blazing. Shall have to wait and see. More stealth games would be good.

One of the game modes on this looks pretty cool. Cant remember which it was, there was a video on IGN. Was sorta like special ops on MW2 but on splinter cell taking a stealth approach and aiding each other.

*Think* this was it:

https://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/obje...rcell_trl_multiplayervideo_22310.html?show=hi

EDIT: Tried embedding it but didnt work :dunno so put the link instead

With the new metal gear I hope theres a option to take on a more stealth approach since your a cyborg ninja. Will kinda suck if can only go in guns blazing. Shall have to wait and see. More stealth games would be good.

I have my fingers crossed and fairly certain there will be some stealth play involved. I just hope its not centered around action.

One of the game modes on this looks pretty cool. Cant remember which it was, there was a video on IGN. Was sorta like special ops on MW2 but on splinter cell taking a stealth approach and aiding each other.

yeah I'm definitely looking forward to the co-op stuff. I almost love it more so than the single player. Its just more fun to do the co-op stealth takedowns IMO. My brother and I used to do this back on the first Xbox back in the day. I'm just hoping that they'll give us plenty of DLC missions down the road.

Back