Spawn is Dead?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qweqwe

Freaked Out
Reaction score
The past two years have been bad for Mcfarlane...
These are some of the problems:

They have not come out with anything interesting besides the Halo series
and maybe the NFL series which I have no interest in.

They have not come out with a new Spawn action figure line since July 2008.

They have not come out with a interesting comic since #100 ended.

They have even resulted to this:

https://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=454
https://www.spawn.com/toys/series.aspx?series=462

which I feel is just a cheap imitation of Mighty Muggs...

It seems that they no longer focus on their main character/symbol, which is Spawn... so personally, I conclude that SPAWN IS DEAD.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this?

Todd canceld the Spawn line a long time ago and went with Guitar Hero. :rolleyes: Yeah they are hurting. Halo is the only thing keeping them alive right now which is why they made those dumb figures you linked too.

at least they had a story line from #1-#100
He had a 'ticking time bomb' which stopped when he killed Mebolgia...
There were some which had guest artist too like Ashley Wood.

I stopped with comics after that but still continued with its non posable figures?!
But then they grew more and more cheesy...like AGE OF PHARAOHS....

But I cant deny that their skill at sculpting, producing and production were top ( Animated Spawn Excluded).

Now, other companies like Mezco and Neca have taken over the reigns for figures like Aliens, Predators and horror. But honestly, I still prefer Mcfarlane, a good example is the headless horseman.

But until today, there were always 2 figures I wanted to get , which I haven't:

Matrix Sentinel and 12" Mandarin Spawn (The blue one)

Well they just stopped making stuff. Maybe they had reasons but for someone on the outside looking in it just seemed like they suddenly threw in the towel of their own accord, a self inflicted demise. I'd still be buying stuff off them if they made anything that interested me.

as soon as todd tossed in cybernetic gorillas i checked out of that dive.

the hellspawn offshoot done by niles, templesmith, and wood had legs but someone took a bat to it's knees before it could get up to speed.

I stopped with comics after that but still continued with its non posable figures?!

Yeah, this is still one of my favorite figures ever...

other_12spawn7_photo_01_dp.jpg

at least they had a story line from #1-#100
He had a 'ticking time bomb' which stopped when he killed Mebolgia...

I remember reading the first 12 or so issues of Spawn and being really hooked. Then a couple of issues after Greg Capullo took over I just quit cold turkey (I think it was during that "Anti-Spawn" story or whatever he was called). So the whole numeric countdown whenever he used his powers ended due to a showdown with Malebolgia? So what story did they think was left to tell after Spawn killed his arch-nemesis?

Spawn is dead. Todd killed the brand name by neglecting the comic books and letting them deteriorate to crap, by letting the new animated series get tied up in yet another legal dispute, by letting the first movie turn out to be a POS, and finally by killing the action figure line by one poor design & concept after another, with shrinking figures and molded colored plastic instead of paint. Fans spoke by losing interest and stopped buying the figures. Meanwhile, other companies like Hot Toys & NECA picked up his dropped concepts & ran with them, especially the movie based properties.
His recent attempt at recharging the comic book by killing off Al Simmons during the "Endgame" arc has failed to drum up any meaningful increase in sales regardless of the hype.
He says that he has "movie offers every two weeks" but many feel he is just crying wolf. He has has stated that the rights to the animated series revert back to him in 2010, but by then Spawn will be beyond irrelevant.
His toy company work force has been slashed in half with recent layoffs and TMP only produces sports figures, Halo and a supposed "Grinch" 3 inch line for the fall/ winter season. They had no booth for their Toy line at SDCC, instead their few remaining products were shown at other distributors booths.
It's tough times at TMP, & no one is to blame other than Todd himself.

The market got oversaturated with movie and comic book stuff, that McF's stuff became irrelevant. So the only thing that NECA didnt have was Games....and then they got that too.

I live right by his main shop and I can say, they've done
nothing worth collecting since they had the Matrix & Alien License.
It was all down hill from there. So basically the last 8 years are worthless.
The only reason I would even go in the store now is to see if they have
any old stuff that turned up. Sorry Todd, I'm sad to say it, but RIP!

Todd Sux. Too arrogant. Can't even take the time for a pic or autograph at the con, while he wasn't doing anything.

Back