Space Battleship Yamato movie!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it normally take for movies like this to become available with subtitles and stuff?

Oh. I guess it's anime or something. I hate anime. So...nevermind...carry on then. :D

It's Space Battleship Yamato. And it hates you too.

Can we have a rule about newbs staying out of classic cartoon threads? Thanks. :duff

wow! i just finished watching this. as a long time fan i thought it captured the spirit of the series. i even liked the aerosmith ending song. lol!

if you're a fan of this series then i think you will enjoy it. mind you there's lots to nit pick but i very much enjoyed watching it!

Was it in English? And if not, why?

Since when did other countries start having the audacity to make their movies in their home languages?

:monkey3

Long time Starblazers/Yamato fan here and I thought it was pretty darn good. They made some changes, as to be expected, but I thought it captured the over all feeling of the original perfectly.

it's easy to see why someone unfamiliar with the original series can become alienated. even a fan like myself.. i had some timeline issues. while i was watching it felt like there were missing events that i would have personally added. it was like let's go to iscandar and then.. oh, we're here now! lol. heck, you can't really put an entire series into a movie so i was open to it.

there were some surprising moments like when analyzer (iq-9) busted out to help. that was an awesome scene! then kodai's (wildstar) fighter 'cosmo zero' transforming into "guardian" (borrowed macross/robotech phrase) mode to yuki (nova) taking on more of a "starbuck" role. anyway, i'm glad there was no 70's funky music or bell bottom pants. :D

Yeah, the whole timeline was messed up. Plus I wasn't ever sure how long afterwards the events happened from the big battle at the beginning. Or where Yamato came from in the first place, or how they got it outfitted with the new tech so quickly-seemed like they found the probe and then the next day they had the tech put in.

The acting was particularly bad, and then the camera work wasn't very good either, especially in space they didn't control it very well. In general the story just had issues. Like you said the robot thing popping out was cool, but I was wondering why it didn't do that after he landed, rather than waiting for people to start dying.

It definitely would work better as a series, but I thought they did a pretty good job condensing it. It seemed to be based more on "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" (especially in how it ended) than the actual TV series. IQ9 was a big surprise, and I totally loved it. Not really sure how you can comment on the acting, unless you speak Japanese.

Even the original series had some timeline issues. IT took them forever to get to Iscandar, and then only like two or three episodes to return.

Anyway, we ain't talking Shakespeare here.

I'll definitely have to check this out. I've been watching the old Star Blazers anime on Netflix streaming. It's been around 25 years since I've seen it last and it's still bad ass. Besides it's like watching a whole new anime since it was so long ago and I've forgotten lots of it.

Back