Somewhat Dissapointed with GG Qui-Gon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom's is much different looking, more like the pale/grey tones I am used to with GG. The revered spaceman has one with fake-bake. :eek:

ZAZ1204MO195.jpg

LOTRFan said:
Tom's is much different looking, more like the pale/grey tones I am used to with GG. The revered spaceman has one with fake-bake. :eek:

:lol :bow

Seriously, though ... it is interesting how these things respond to lighting, flash, shadows, etc. We've all seen how a real pro like Charles can make anything look like gold. I'm not sure the pic's I posted are really communicating the coloration accurately. :cool:

:rotfl

Nice catch Amanaman. Now there's some pale skintone we can all agree on. :D

No you are communicating fine, and I think most owners of GG busts know exactly what you are saying. Here are a few shots of the busts I own (or did at one point) that seem to be similar.

New003.jpg

Luke1.jpg

My Tarkin had a great paint job.

Tarkin2.jpg

This may have something to do with the slightly different material that these are made out of. :confused:

off topic but did they correct the 12" qui-gon/George Washington hair-do? from the pics from the con it looks like they didn't.

ahh glad I passed on this one. I always thought it was a lackluster replication of qui-gon even from the promo pics. I just hope maul turns out good.

Are the eyes really that blue or is that just a reflection of bluescreen? HOLY CRAP! :confused:

This makes me fear for the GG Slave Leia statue, actually. What they showed at SDCC was a thing of beauty (literally), but lackluster paint jobs from the factory could kill that quick.

I think this thing is kind of getting out of porportion. Qui gon is not that bad, just not as great as expected. These pictures are zoomed and do not do any justice.

Gran3131 said:
I think this thing is kind of getting out of porportion. Qui gon is not that bad, just not as great as expected. These pictures are zoomed and do not do any justice.

Yeah, probably a bit out of proportion, and my fault if so. :eek: I'm a huge fan of GG's work (especially the full size figures), and the intent was to register a sense of being "somewhat" dissapointed in an item I had been excited for. It's definitely a flawed piece, but the photos are a VERY tight zoom, and do overemphasize details beyond what the eye sees. The color is also a bit off in the photos - for example they don't much reinforce my original complaint of a pale appearance in standard house lighting. The eyes are quite blue, but you don't notice in person. :peace

The likeness is good in the profile shots, but his eyes appear too close together in the frontal shot.

I think it looks decent. Sometimes I think people will only like a piece if it is the actor himself sitting in costume in their house in a huge display case where he poses as he is told to every day. Even then people would still say the likeness is off.

I finally saw this in person yesterday, and the paint deco is horrid. He is FAR too pale and lacking in any kind of quality blending/fading between shades. The pose was bad enough, but the paint killed this piece.

When we got all the announcements earlier in the year about the different collectibles coming out for Qui-Gon, I was really excited.
A bust from GG! A saber hilt from MR! A 12" scale figure from SS!

Well, other than the saber hilt, it's not looking too good for the venerable Jedi Master.

This bust has a decent enough likeness, but that paint job looks pretty garish in those photos that spaceman posted. At least they got the hair looking okay in the sculpt..

,,,which leads me to the SS figure. The track record for paint application is not the best so far (Luke: good, Anakin: fair Kit: Good, Sith Anakin: fair) so I'm a little nervous for that (I wish they could give up on the lip gloss)...but for QuiGon it's the hair that just throws this figure. What led to the choice of the "boat oar" back that is never seen in the movie? I would have rather seen something similair to what this bust is featuring (that yes, would have limited head movement, but I can live with that with a great appearance). Here's hoping it's REALLY a case of "pictures not doing justice" when that figure shows up next month...

Back to the bust...does anyone have any photos of him in natural (no flash) light or severe light (like the black background shots SS has been including in the figure portfolios)? Photos in those conditions mighy highlight the sculpt opposed to the carnival-like paint apps....

I think a good repaint would do wonders for this bust. I'm not overjoyed with the pose, but I don't think its terrible either. The paint makes or breaks this piece.

Back