Something a little different - Thor, Goddess of Thunder custom by riteguytu!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riteguytu

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello folks!

I've been fairly active with my statue conversions, repairs and customs over here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008838961611

I thought I'd share the progress of one of my conversions/customs: Lady Thor currently written by Jason Aaron (it's a great run - you should give it a try)

Starts with a broken prepainted Psylocke I got cheap from my LCS:

IMG_1539_zpssxreauss.jpg

And some photoshop to see how she might look converted:

thor_zpsrtjisedw.jpg

I thought I'd challenge myself by also attempting a spinning hammer effect! :D

sph_zpsxwjv8yq3.jpg

Then comes the hard work - removal of some hair, costume lines etc, puttying and partial re-sculpting:

IMG_1571_zpsg8ilyhwj.jpg

Then the plan for Mjolnir - I'm going with an actual Norse rune version of the famous inscription:

IMG_1607_zpscnu5oyj2.jpg

Now comes mighty spinning Mjolnir!
I sculpted one Mjolnir top, made a mold and casted nine more Mjolnir tops.

The spinning circle is made from styrene.

A bit more sculpting - Mjolnir's handles, Lady Thor's armor, wrinkles on her tights and...voila!

Into rubber the spinning hammer goes for molding...The box is just foamcore cardboard. I should have sealed the edges with hot glue, but being extremely lazy, I used some Klean clay instead *;)

There's also some Klean clay inside the box (those gray and yellowish lumps)to take up some space so I don't waste silicone rubber. I leave about a half inch of space all around my sculpt for the rubber to flow into...

IMG_1624_zpsksbpxti6.jpg

An hour in the pressure pot (40 psi) gets me a nicely cured mold. I then mix and pour in my clear resin, turn up the pressure to 40 psi again and 1.5 hours later... :D

IMG_1635_zpssiawofo0.jpg

Test fitting on the statue to see how it fits:

IMG_1667_zpskkc1ra9f.jpg

As its a big mass of spinning hammer, I need to engineer the joint so that it doesn't make her arm sag due to its weight:

IMG_1691_zpseuht8whq.jpg

Thanks!

Now I want to start working on the Axe!
Mind you, this is no ordinary axe; this is the Eternal breaker, the Apocalypse wrecker, the all round Asgardian kick ass weapon of mass destruction - JARNBJORN! :D

The brown material is 5 minute plumbers epoxy putty - it gives the clay something to hold on to.

3899152-aven2012035-cheung-col-e1b88_zpsu0padg4d.jpg

uncanny-avengers-006-005_zpsoifinzhq.jpg

3940316-uncannyavengers021-014%201_zpslj99xkfp.jpg

Okay the lady is somewhat buff, and it's been bugging me that the Psylocke statue needs some muscularity added to it - deltoids, abs, lats etc, so she looks more like this:

Thor%202014-%20003-013_zps4w5sco8e.jpg
[/URL]

First I draw them in:

IMG_1863_zpsx6pgktpj.jpg

Then I carve them in. Little details make a difference! ;)

72b9e1e4-e97d-46de-afe5-9e0772356990_zpspysqzyol.jpg

Okay continuing work on the axes - one for each variant arm.

It appears to have all-metal top/blade, so I sculpt the handle, texture it like wood(drag a stiff bristled brush across it :) ) and glue in a piece of styrene cut to shape to act as armature for the blade sculpt.

Even more detailing; stitching on tights, leg wraps, buckles and leather belt details.

The belt 'orbs' were done with...Super glue!
Carefully drip a drop into place and the surface tension of SG keeps it spherical. Spray Zip kicker onto it and it instantly hardens - fast and easy...;)

IMG_1934_zpsvogjwb7v.jpg

IMG_1935_zpscx2ep8qs.jpg

IMG_1937_zpsrbkhebqw.jpg

IMG_1936_zpsjlqb4epq.jpg

Even more details!

Tunic window and, ahem, loincloth... ;)

Loin cloth is made by cutting a strip of styrene and going over it with a heat gun. It becomes soft and you can then bend, tug and pull it into the general shape you want. Once its cool, it hardens in the shape it has been pulled into!
I applied some clay over it to sculpt in the 'T' detail...

Thor_Goddess_of_Thunder_Character_Art.0_zpsckygjxvj.png

IMG_1957_zpsg6k4h1tj.jpg

IMG_1958_zpsxlvdrsbg.jpg

Back