Some constructive criticism...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daelith

Freaked Out
Reaction score
If all you can do is cheer without seeing any signs for improvement, move on (*coughs* you know who you are). Anyhow, for the first release, I'm impressed. I commend Sideshow for listening to consumer sentiment and releasing something we actually want...and not ummm...a dying elephant/dead haradhrim/scowling pippin. However, I think Sideshow can do a little bit better, simply because these collectibles cost *hundreds* of dollars.

GRADES:
- ES: 750 - About right. 500 would've been my personal preference, but this is OK.
Grade: A-

- Sculpt: Proportions are a bit off. Head is too big. Arms should be bigger. Bothers me alot. B+

- Cost: $350 for 1/4 with lots of details.

- Exclusive Accessories - Not bad. Definitely better than the gummy bear they gave away with the Anakin exclusive, but then again, that was a $50 piece. It's different enough to warrant the "exclusive title", and I hope Sideshow continues that trend.
Grade: A

STUFF THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED BY SIDESHOW:
- Please make sure Lurtz actually looks like his promo pics (ie. paint job, quality control)...or better yet, take some of our criticism to heart and go back and fix his arms/head. Sideshow is getting alot of bad press lately (ie. Star Wars thread).

- Get more user input during the prototyping, like Bowen--have your seen how insanely loyal they are (myself included in that bunch)? If there's anything wrong with a sculpt, isn't it just better to get user opinion before the sculpt goes to production? You guys did a good job with Lurtz, but who knows about subsequent releases?

Last edited:
Lurtz had a big head
ukrilurtz.jpg

lurtztoppic.jpg

The one thing I don't understand is the need for the nameplate.Why put one on it? If we are willing to spend $350 I would imagine we know who the character is.Would love to get some info on this.

I hate name plates, I really hate them but this one actually doesnt bother me at all.

daelith said:
If all you can do is cheer without seeing any signs for improvement, move on (*coughs* you know who you are).

Wonder who you mean?;) KMA;)

daelith said:
GRADES:
- ES: 750 - About right. 500 would've been my personal preference, but this is OK.

Good God!! People like you are never happy. next time make it an ES of 1 so you can be happy. :banghead

daelith said:
- Sculpt: Proportions are a bit off. Head is too big. Arms should be bigger. Bothers me alot. B+

Looks ok to me. I've only seen you complain of this so far.

daelith said:
- Exclusive Accessories - Not bad. Definitely better than the gummy bear they gave away with the Anakin exclusive, but then again, that was a $50 piece. It's different enough to warrant the "exclusive title", and I hope Sideshow continues that trend.

Yeah, we could have had better. :p Like interchangeable leg with Aragorns knife in it or be able to take his head off post whacking by Aragorn. :rolleyes:

daelith said:
- Please make sure Lurtz actually looks like his promo pics (ie. paint job, quality control)...or better yet, take some of our criticism to heart and go back and fix his arms/head. Sideshow is getting alot of bad press lately (ie. Star Wars thread).

I think they will do their best to do that. Take the criticism to heart? If your the only one????

daelith said:
- Get more user input during the prototyping, like Bowen--have your seen how insanely loyal they are (myself included in that bunch)? If there's anything wrong with a sculpt, isn't it just better to get user opinion before the sculpt goes to production? You guys did a good job with Lurtz, but who knows about subsequent releases?

I might be the only one but I think Bowen doing that is one of the dumbest ideas around. IMO way too many chefs in the kitchen.

Actually I really like the design of the base. Nameplate and all. As long as this is consistent throughout the line, it should lend to a very impressive display of all LOTR PFs.

For what it's worth, I hate the nameplate as well. I don't hate it enough that it would stop me from getting this because otherwise, it's freaking sweet!!!! but I don't like nameplates on collectibles.

Hmmm, "do you like the nameplates on 1/4 figures" may be a good poll topic?

daelith said:

I will say that even though I dont collect anything from Bowen I am impressed at how he frequentlylooks to his fans/collectors many times during concept for their opinions and then actually uses the feedback to develope the sculpts. and I dont mean posts pics and then waits for a reaction, he actually asks "What do you guys think? let me know if things need to change"

***Good God!! People like you are never happy. next time make it an ES of 1 so you can be happy. :banghead
Like I mentioned, it's my PERSONAL preference.

***Looks ok to me. I've only seen you complain of this so far.
What about the person that mentioned that he looked stumpy? I'll superimpose a pic of Lurtz tonight against the pic and we can compare.

***Yeah, we could have had better. :p Like interchangeable leg with Aragorns knife in it or be able to take his head off post whacking by Aragorn. :rolleyes:
Just saying as long as it's different enough, I'm happy.

***I think they will do their best to do that. Take the criticism to heart? If your the only one????
It would be sad if I'm the only one that has criticism about this piece.

***I might be the only one but I think Bowen doing that is one of the dumbest ideas around. IMO way too many chefs in the kitchen.
They ultimately have final say over what the piece looks like. Bowen doesn't always listen to his fans/customers. But I like the the possibility that something someone says that leads to an improvement in the piece. As an artist myself, I take criticism with a grain of salt, but more than once I've gotten criticism that made me go back and fix things. I appreciate it when people say "awesome, good job, perfect" but it's the discerning eyes that I truly appreciate.

I think that's what the production blogs are for to show pics as things go along and let people say what they think. It should allow for them to make changes if they have to.

Ummm...you're kidding me, right? You've seen their production blogs. It's not exactly showing much.

daelith said:
If all you can do is cheer without seeing any signs for improvement, move on (*coughs* you know who you are). Anyhow, for the first release, I'm impressed. I commend Sideshow for listening to consumer sentiment and releasing something we actually want...and not ummm...a dying elephant/dead haradhrim/scowling pippin. However, I think Sideshow can do a little bit better, simply because these collectibles cost *hundreds* of dollars.

GRADES:

- Cost: $350 for 1/4 with lots of details.

Good Constructive Criticism, daelith... In my professional life, I ask people for ANY advice on how I can do to do my job better. I know SS has the same business philosophy. I didn't take anything you wrote as negative. Well done.

this statue is perfect! show me a lurtz piece this good!:banana :banana :banana big head and big edition number? looks damn fine to me. and sorry, but i don't care about what bowen does or not. most of bowen collectors i know suxs. they think the only thing good is made by bowen. boy they are wrong :joy

I for one agree with Daelith on almost all points. The proportions are a bit off, even a single track "SIDESHOW IS GOD" mind should be able to see that. His arms are a bit too skinny, and the head does look a bit big, like his body is under tremendous strain carrying that gargantuan head around. Other then that I see no flaws and I think Sideshow will address the problems accordingly, or at least I hope. I for one will be pretty upset if the paint job doesn't look like this prototype, but being such a dark hued character I don't forsee any problems that would be so visible as to throw someone off the piece. Yes I ordered, yes I think there are a few problems, and if you don't like my opinion then keep it to yourself or offer a constructive rebuke instead of a whining about someone else's fair and constructive critisism. "looks ok to me" very informative!!

To me the head and arms look good. They appear to be just right looking at the pics of Lurtz on this website with thumbs from the movie. Unless I get to see it in person sometime soon I dont think my opinion of it will change.

Here are a couple more pics. Showing that he didn't have massive arms.

Last edited:
Back