Solo: A Star Wars Story

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember rolling my eyes when George used the "there's always a bigger fish" gag *twice* in TPM. But Aquaman went to the exploding wall a whopping four times, lol.

lol@Khev

There was a scene cut where after the behemoth Kaiju Kraken Squidtopus slammed it’s fist on the sea floor it cut to 1,500 simultaneous walls breaking open up on the surface due to the seismic aftermath.

I found a photo of M United watching Solo....

C’mon break...break...small crack something...Zzzz Zzzz

AF709567-3E12-47F6-B011-00E04DD1D0C7.jpeg

But you loved Aquaman? And anything James Wan does?

You have to be young. 15-27?

I really like Aquaman but its not an epic movie if you know what i mean. I think its visually stunning great action etc but its no Infinity War or a Quiet place etc. I am very happy with the direction they are heading because it seems they are working hard to make the great movies we deserve.

You're right, it was a double whammy with Solo where A) people didn't think it was a good idea to do a story where a recast Han Solo was necessary and B) The Last Jedi soured people on new Star Wars under Disney.

Now, personally I don't think TLJ was any greater a crime against Star Wars than The Force Awakens and the prequels had already been but clearly a vocal proportion of people were really pissed off by TLJ, undeniable.

That said....Solo deserved to do better IMO. I'm basically an OT purist (I'm OK with special effects improvements in the SE and beyond but no other type of change) and I think that both Solo and Rogue One before it serve the OT well, they enhance those films by their individual merit (as opposed to being totally ***t by comparison). Alden did a damn good job IMO, I'm thrilled to agree with Harrison Ford on that considering that I had previously been disgusted that Disney didn't cast Anthony Ingruber. I'm still curious how Ingruber might have done but I'm not gonna deny that Alden (whose surname I may never get right so I'm not trying) was good so big thumbs up to him. I also liked Glover as Lando. Solo has some major 'big grin' moments and nothing that pissed me off, I'm thankful to it for that.

Ingruber was just doing an impersonation of OT Han, nothing to see there, lots of people can impersonate someone. They needed an actor who could portray a young Han Solo, who would naturally be quite different from the jaded smuggler we so in OT, as this was the point of the film.

I didnt really need him to be a clone of Ford and mimic his every move. I think Alden captured A younger Han very well....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Funny that this thread popped up when I just watched this deepfake yesterday:

Alden Ehrenreich was the least of the film's problems, but seeing Ford and Billy D there makes me wish someone deepfaked the whole movie.

You're right, it was a double whammy with Solo where A) people didn't think it was a good idea to do a story where a recast Han Solo was necessary and B) The Last Jedi soured people on new Star Wars under Disney.

Now, personally I don't think TLJ was any greater a crime against Star Wars than The Force Awakens and the prequels had already been but clearly a vocal proportion of people were really pissed off by TLJ, undeniable.

That said....Solo deserved to do better IMO. I'm basically an OT purist (I'm OK with special effects improvements in the SE and beyond but no other type of change) and I think that both Solo and Rogue One before it serve the OT well, they enhance those films by their individual merit (as opposed to being totally ***t by comparison). Alden did a damn good job IMO, I'm thrilled to agree with Harrison Ford on that considering that I had previously been disgusted that Disney didn't cast Anthony Ingruber. I'm still curious how Ingruber might have done but I'm not gonna deny that Alden (whose surname I may never get right so I'm not trying) was good so big thumbs up to him. I also liked Glover as Lando. Solo has some major 'big grin' moments and nothing that pissed me off, I'm thankful to it for that.

Rewatched recently - again, think this movie was way underrated. Completely appreciate the grittiness, a more *adult* approach, a truly dark psycho villain, lots of shades of gray. It was a refreshing SW movie.

Not perfect - some scenes are shot so dark it's kinda messy - but regret a sequel is unlikely.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

I'm not sure that alteration was needed. Were any of the main Disney movies better than Solo? I'm not sure they were. TFA may have come close I suppose in that both were entertaining movies. I'd agree that Solo was extremely underrated, I do wonder how it might have been received if TLJ hadn't alienated a large percentage of the Star Wars fan base.

I think if I were putting the Disney movies in order, the top three would be RO, Solo, TFA, in that order. Shame we'll never get the sequel for this.

Back