So who is the Next Joe???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though I'd really like a General Hawk next.

I'm actually wondering whether or not they'll even make a Hawk anytime soon. In the podium video Duke was called the leader of GI Joe and his bio on the preorder page starts with "Leadership, personified..."

Not only do they seem to be pushing him as the team leader for all intents and purposes but they also gave him headgear very similar to that worn by 1986 Hawk. Almost as if they're catering to fans of both characters to make way for other figures.

Get him a 1/6 scale bomber jacket and you pretty much have Hawk right here:

Dukehawk.jpg

hawk34front.jpg

Now watch Hawk be the next figure announced and totally blow my theory out of the water. :lol

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't say that Hawk is as essential as CC or Destro (well, maybe in the comic), but he is obviously a very major character who I think will get made eventually. However, he clearly isn't as well known or popular as Duke, which explains why Duke was released as the "leader" first. My instinct tells me that we'll have to wait a while to get a Hawk, but given the justifiable popularity of the line so far, we'll probably get him.

The goggles on the helmet may not necessarily have been added as a nod to Hawk. It could have just been an addition to make him a bit more distinctive-looking than if he just had the plain helmet.

Hawk has had several different figures made, so I would say he is a very popular character.
Well, based on yojoe's listings, there seem to be 7 3 3/4" Hawks (8 if you count the "swivel arm" Hawk apart from the straight arm version), and 34 Dukes. So, relatively speaking, I would say that he's no Duke in terms of popularity :D

Of course, I see 40+ versions each of Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander.

Actually, there's probably a pretty high correlation between number of figures previously released for a character, and the order in which Sideshow figures of these characters are released.

Well, based on yojoe's listings, there seem to be 7 3 3/4" Hawks (8 if you count the "swivel arm" Hawk apart from the straight arm version), and 34 Dukes. So, relatively speaking, I would say that he's no Duke in terms of popularity :D

Of course, I see 40+ versions each of Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander.

Actually, there's probably a pretty high correlation between number of figures previously released for a character, and the order in which Sideshow figures of these characters are released.

That tells me he was crucial enough to make before they added the swivel arm battle grip, which means a little more research would've shown you that he saw the light of day as an action figure about a year before Duke did.

LArry Hama has stated that he disliked the way Hasbro and the Cartoon always treated Duke and Hawk as interchangeable. He was annoyed that their physical similarities made the characters confusing and didn't like how the cartoon and Hasbro tried to push Duke as team leader... He always preferred Stalker in the Top Sarge role on the team.

he has also said that pushing duke into hawk's role stifled the development of duke as a unique character...

Hawk is the ORIGINAL leader of the Joe team... Accept no substitutes.

I think they need to make Hawk in his Green Dress uniform. with a bunch of medals.

If they only do, say, ten GI Joe characters before they're finished with the line, Hawk V2 is definitely one of them, probably top five actually (which would probably be Snake Eyes, Duke, Hawk V2, Scarlett and Flint).

He's WAYYY more important the Beach Head, imo.

Hawk maybe important... but I'd rather have cool! ;)

Give me Tunnel Rat, Beach Head, Spirit, Roadblock, Hit N Run, Salvo, Alpine, Wildbill, Flint, Dusty, Ricondo, Snow Job, Torpedo, Stalker, Mutt, BBQ, Sci-Fi, Low Light, Chuckles, Jinx, Scarlet, slaughter and his Marauders... in no particular order before Hawk.

Hawk maybe important... but I'd rather have cool! ;)

Give me Tunnel Rat, Beach Head, Spirit, Roadblock, Hit N Run, Salvo, Alpine, Wildbill, Flint, Dusty, Ricondo, Snow Job, Torpedo, Stalker, Mutt, BBQ, Sci-Fi, Low Light, Chuckles, Jinx, Scarlet, slaughter and his Marauders... in no particular order before Hawk.

My favorite Joes behind Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow right there...and while I'd like to see all of them done, after seeing Sideshow hit Duke out of the park, I'd love them to do the straight infantry guy in the form of Grunt. Not a sexy pick by any means, but I'd like to see the amount of gear Sideshow would give a Grunt figure.

Like I said, Snakes is my favorite Joe, but I think I prefer Duke as a figure. I understand part of the appeal of the line is the nostalgia factor, but part of me likes the updates and modernization. Snake Eyes is the quintessential ninja/commando; while his equipment is impressive, it's more geared to behind enemy lines wetwork with his silenced weapons. I like that Duke has weapons more suitable for a head-on assault. I'd like to see Grunt with the same type of gear Duke has(with some differentiation of course, but he'd most likely come with an M4, too; perhaps with undermounted grenade launcher, entry light, and red dot sight?), and maybe some extra stuff like a few claymores.

Quick question: if Rock N Roll gets made, would you prefer him to come with his traditional M60 or an updated SAW? I know there are a number of traditionalists/purists here, but I would actually prefer him to have a SAW. I'll probably be in the minority here.

Quick question: if Rock N Roll gets made, would you prefer him to come with his traditional M60 or an updated SAW? I know there are a number of traditionalists/purists here, but I would actually prefer him to have a SAW. I'll probably be in the minority here.

He never came with a straight-up M-60, it was something more like a combination between an MG-3 (modern version of MG-42) and an M-60.

11.jpg

7.62-KK-MG-3.jpg

M60.jpg

That being said, they've been updating the weapons for these guys, so they might as well continue to do so. The SAW's too light for a dedicated light machine-gunner like Rock 'n' Roll, so he should come with this:

USAF_M240B.jpg

Which would also be a good weapon for a Roadblock V2, if they ever do him. I'd prefer a Roadblock V1 though.

He never came with a straight-up M-60, it was something more like a combination between an MG-3 (modern version of MG-42) and an M-60.

11.jpg

7.62-KK-MG-3.jpg

M60.jpg

That being said, they've been updating the weapons for these guys, so they might as well continue to do so. The SAW's too light for a dedicated light machine-gunner like Rock 'n' Roll, so he should come with this:

USAF_M240B.jpg

Which would also be a good weapon for a Roadblock V2, if they ever do him. I'd prefer a Roadblock V1 though.

I think he should come with a minigun :D

Personally I don't want anyone carrying a minigun in my collection until we get a Hot Toys Arnie from T2, or Blaine from Predator...

Back