So, what movies have you been watching lately...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw it on 3rd Street (@ 2:15). I think Dave went to Pacific Stadium.... I want to go see it again.. i've been going back and forth with what I though of it since i saw it. Where were you Sam?

Today's Movie

So I went and saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" today. I liked it, but I thought it seemed a little slow in places. Maybe I was remembering too much of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" and since I knew what was going to happen in spots, it seemed like getting through those parts took a long time. I was ready to see something that I DIDN'T already know.

Having said that, I loved Johnny Dep's Willy Wonka. I think this is a movie that I'd like even better the second time. Some of Depp's lines were so underplayed, but hysterical. There were some kids in the theater who talked during the movie, but it wasn't too bad. I heard some kids asking questions throughout the movie: "Why did he do that?" "Where is she going?" Stuff like that. Overall, not a bad movie experience.

GrueSam said:
Gareth,
We went to the 3:30 on 3rd St. Do you ever check out Puzzle Zoo?

Migwit,
I really liked Wonka the first time, but enjoyed it even more the second time. :banana

Ahhhh Just missed each other Sam! We probably passed each other on the way out!!!!

And YES I ALWAYS check out the Puzzlezoo whenever I'm there. I've bought a decent amount of my collection from that very Puzzlezoo!

Willy Wonka

Yeah, GrueSam, I've been thinking about the movie since I saw it and am positive I'd like it even better the 2nd time 'round! Well, as fast as movies are coming out on dvd, maybe I won't have long to wait! :joy

I practically live at the Grove - never venture down to 3rd St. on the weekends unless absolutely necessary.

Parents were actually 'shusshing" their kids at the 10:30 movie. Ironically I saw Just Like Heaven right after - 2 movies about a guy falling for a dead girl in the same day...weird.

So, what movies have you been watching lately...? Reply to Thread

I just got BUBBA HO-TEP on Netflix. Can anybody please tell me if this thing is worth watching or should I pass it up? :confused:

wookilar8 said:
I just got BUBBA HO-TEP on Netflix. Can anybody please tell me if this thing is worth watching or should I pass it up? :confused:

I love how WE decided what movies come on our Netflix and then when they get there.. you're always stuck with whether or not you want to watch the movie or not. So instead of just sending it back and actually get something you want to watch you hold onto it forever because you tell yourself that you MUST have wanted to watch it bc you had it sent. Ha.

I've been sitting on both "Killer Kiss" and "The Killiing" for a while now. They are two of Stanley Kubricks first movies. He is my favorite director, but I just don't know if I care to sit through these little movies that in no way will compare to his later masterpieces.

HA! L4P, you've nailed the problem with Netflix. I sat on The Pianist for 3 months. I knew it was a movie I SHOULD watch, but it wasn't one I really wanted to see. I cancelled by Netflix subscription as I'd rather watch Buffy, Angel, Simpsons or even old Xena discs before the movies I knew I should be watching.

That's why if I don't see it in the theatre, I give up on ever seeing an independent film.

Darklord Dave said:
HA! L4P, you've nailed the problem with Netflix. I sat on The Pianist for 3 months. I knew it was a movie I SHOULD watch, but it wasn't one I really wanted to see. I cancelled by Netflix subscription as I'd rather watch Buffy, Angel, Simpsons or even old Xena discs before the movies I knew I should be watching.

That's why if I don't see it in the theatre, I give up on ever seeing an independent film.

hehe.. yup! I LOVE Netflix, I think it is such a genious idea... but it never ceases to amuse me how often you find yourself selecting movies you never watch.

recently Ive seen
Willy Wonka (tim burton)
Sin City
Serenity
The Exorsist

loved them all! Sin City the most and then Serenity. Two of the best movies of the year! simply awesome! willy wonka was also a real treat! Jonny Depp was brilliant as wonka.
I saw the exorsist for the first time afew days ago, i was with a group of friends who wouldnt stop talkin so i didnt get everything out of it, and it didnt scare to much. I'll have to see it again to get the whole thing in.

Re:

So after watching "Corpse Bride," listening to the soundtrack and going back and listening to the soundtrack for "Nightmare Before Christmas"... i'm in full-fledged Burton mode.

So this afternoon i snuggled up on the couch on what is truly the first day of fall and watched my favorite Burton film, "Big Fish." This is the only film that I can currently recall that makes me shed a tear or two every time I see it. The end is just so powerful and moving. I would love to meet the person that doesn't get even a little touched by the power and the message of the films last 10 minutes. I also think that this is Burtons most intricate and risky film to date, and I can't imagine any other director better suited to blend fantasy and reality and result in a film as beautiful and moving as "Big Fish" resulted in being. Each time I watch it it impresses me more.

I got to meet the giant at the Fangoria con. (He's also in Rob Zombie's latest.) He hands are sooooo huge... Hubby wanted to get a picture of the two of us, but I chickened out!

I also love that movie. But it's not my fave. Ya know? I can't really pick a fave Burton film, as they all hold different things for me...
thinking.gif

You're right- Fish definately has the best story line, by far.

I obviously go nuts over Nightmare's visuals....

But man! did he nail the visuals in Sleepy Hollow, too. :drool
He fulfilled all my dreams with that one.

:drool Ghosts on Steeds :drool Black Leather on Black Stallions :drool

losthead.jpg

darkgallop.jpg

cemetary.jpg

I think I need a Sleepy Hollow fix!!!
winkpumpkin.gif

GrueSam said:
I got to meet the giant at the Fangoria con. (He's also in Rob Zombie's latest.) He hands are sooooo huge... Hubby wanted to get a picture of the two of us, but I chickened out!

WOW. That's so good to hear as I thought he was dead. Was this a different "Giant" than the one in the movie "My Giant"? If so, did he die? I could have swore they were the same person and that he had died shortly after "Big Fish"... but I'm glad that is not the case!!

GrueSam said:
But man! did he nail the visuals in Sleepy Hollow, too. :drool
He fulfilled all my dreams with that one.

Sam you NAILED it!!!! I always say that "Sleepy Hallow" is the PERFECT LOOKING Tim Burton film. It is one of my ALL TIME favorite films as far as visuals, mood, etc go... and for a director who's films ALWAYS look dazzling, he REALLY knocked it out the park here!!!

The Man

I went to see The Man on Tuesday and could not believe there were hardly any people in the theatre. That movie is just so funny... the Eugene/Samuel combination was hilarious. I loved it.

I went to see The Man on Tuesday and could not believe there were hardly any people in the theatre. That movie is just so funny... the Eugene/Samuel combination was hilarious. I loved it.

:grouphug Nessa :D

I didn't know anyone had seen that movie! I have not seen it yet, but I also had not heard of it until a few days ago when I walked through a movie theatre lobby and saw the poster, and I got excited by how fun it looked just with the words "One walks the walk, the other talks the talk but only one can be THE MAN". hahaha.

Thank you for that recommendation Nessa.

Two nights ago I saw Casshern (pronounced and alternatively spelled Casshan). It's a japanese live action movie loaded with CGI, based on an anime. So basically it's a non-animated anime movie. Very psychadelic and fun. I'm going to get a few friends of mine to watch it, one of whom I got to see Vidocq.

Today or tomorrow I will see Shogun Assassin, then on the weekend I also plan to see Casshern again plus The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I bought it and it came with a free promotional Hitchhiker's towel.

edit- I think the most excellent moment in Casshern is the moment when it shows Tetsuya as the soldier in gritty black and white pick up the little sweet little baby.. that scene is shockingly realistic and extremely painful and brutal- very emotional.

Last edited:
I see everything, but The Man was getting such bad reviews I didn't bother with it. Maybe cable...

The giant from Big Fish did die very recently.

And as for Burton movies with decent stories - I think Beetlejuice and PeeWee's Big Adventure are the best. Before Burton had any power to influence the scripts. But his visuals can't be faulted - he definitely has the eye.

Lookin4Precious said:
WOW. That's so good to hear as I thought he was dead. Was this a different "Giant" than the one in the movie "My Giant"? If so, did he die? I could have swore they were the same person and that he had died shortly after "Big Fish"... but I'm glad that is not the case!!
Nope, different giant! Gheorghe Muresan was in My Giant, and yes, he did pass away.

Matthew McGrory was in Big Fish...
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0570067/

I always say that "Sleepy Hallow" is the PERFECT LOOKING Tim Burton film. It is one of my ALL TIME favorite films as far as visuals, mood, etc go... and for a director who's films ALWAYS look dazzling, he REALLY knocked it out the park here!!!
Oh yes he did! I was so in awe that his visuals for the Headless Horseman were even better than mine! I've loved that ghost ever since I was a little girl and to finally see him up on the screen... And that horse. :drool Don't get me started on how beautiful that horse is! And the sword play. Loved the sound and action of the sword being unsheathed...

Well, it's the only movie I've ever paid to see twice in one day. I only wish the story had been a little better.

I saw the movie Old Boy for the first time last week, Not at all what I was expecting. Disturbing but good. :sick
I also saw Ong Bak yesterday, great martial arts but a mundane story and characters. But the Subtitles were honey, I mean "Birds chirping" "song ends" "indistinguishable" and "(hip hop) man singing" What the HELL? :mad: :crying And the hip hop/techno music sucked! :banghead :censored

Back