So, what movies have you been watching lately...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: movies

If I would give every movie that has plotholes a bad review, there would barely be anything worth watching at all. I know its lame to think that in our age of technology, we wouldnt be able to find a huge mass of metal stuck in the ground and of course its lame that even the son who was burned to a crisp, turned out as healthy as a young lamb in the ending. But plotholes aside, the whole running from the aliens thing, the boat beeing pushed under by aliens, it was cool to watch. It had you going. And the movie also did not feature push-over aliens. We were nothing more then fertalizer to them (which could explain why they waited so long btw). If you keep that in mind, the movie was great.

Just seen the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with my nephews... and we all loved it! :banana

Johnny Depp's Wonka is genius.

The Oompa Loompas looked kinda scary to begin with, but they kinda grow on you. :lol

I hope they make the Great Glass Elevator!

Rating: 3.5 out 5.

edit: - Just caught Fantastic Four.

Have to say it wasn't as bad as the critics made out. It was mildly entertaining - though The Thing just looked horrible! The ending was lame and too abrupt for my liking, and overall the storyline they went with sucked.

The guy playing the Human Torch was cool... and though we didn't see it we got to see Jessica Alba naked! :lol

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

I finally saw Batman Begins last week. Loved it. Friggin' excellent movie. Best Batman yet, Bale was amazing.

Also, saw Charlie & The Chocoalte Factory. Liked that as well. Depp is great.

Saw Charlie & the Chocolate Factory today as well as The Island. I like Depp, I like Burton and I thought the Oompa Loompa songs were great - but ultimately I had to ask why remake it? Wonka was just creepy and unlikeable, despite the "lesson learned."

The Island was like a Logan's Run remake - Scarlett Johanssen is gorgeous, but the film did nothing for me and the product placement was outrageously obnoxious; more so than I, Robot or other recent films.

Hold the phones! You mean a Michael Bay movie WASN'T good???:lol

:puke Michael Bay

(though his brainless over use of action and FX should come in handy when he handles the 2007 live action Transformers film)

We saw Rob Zombie's Devil's Rejects yesterday. Loved it. Not your usual slasher film. Very stylish, very demented, very shocking and very realistic. Highly recommend it if you like stylish, demented, realistic horror flicks that make some people get up and leave! :banana

:help :lol

Oh, hey- loved Wonka, too! Pleasantly surprised, since I'm such a fan of the orig...

So I just caught 'The Cave' - my thoughts?

Worst Film Ever!

Don't waste your money, or your time watching it.

Just wait til Lions Gate Films distributes the UK Film 'The Descent'. It's far superior in every way... scary... claustrophobic... and great direction!

Ratings:
The Cave - Zilch!
The Descent - 4 out of 5

Just saw Wedding Crashers on Tuesday and it is friggin hilarious... I really loved it :lol

just watched both Oldboy & Audtition, both of which came out on DVD recently.

Oldboy: When I read a recent quote that said "Its difficult to make a movie like this in the US today". I automatically assumed it was for the violence, but its not, its the twist that will have your jaw hitting the floor.

Audition: Had never heard of this movie until I saw it at #11 on Bravo's top 100 scariest movie moments. It was finally rereleased very recently on DVD. Makes Glen Close in Fatal Attraction seem like a dream woman.

I just bought The Transporter on DVD so I'd be ready for the sequel this weekend. It's not a bad little action movie. Jason Stratharn would make a pretty decent Bond (if he got a toupee).

Just watched "Secrets and Lies."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Not to take anything away from Francis McDormand's genious performance in "Fargo," but Brenda Blythe is nothing short of spectacular.. giving a superlative performance that is so real it transcends the film and you feel as though you are a fly on the wall just watching these people exist (which is true of most Leigh films.)

Planning on seeing "The Constant Gardener" tomorrow.

Occulum, I did watch Audition a week or so ago and its just too brilliant. Having the Bravo Segment on the DVD is also so cool - Rob Zombie and Eli Roth being so blown away by this film is just too good. I can't wait to see the rest of Miike's movies. Apparently they are all different and I've heard that GOZU is farther out there then any of his others (its my intention to watch that one last).

I did get the OLDBOY dvd but I haven't had time to watch it yet - Nobody spoil the twist!

I haven't seen "The Cave", but I'm juuuuuuust not sure how it could be worse than "A Sound of Thunder." Nope, can't even picture something out right now that's quite as bad as ASoT. My guess is that "The Cave" would win some kind of award... ANY award... over ASoT any day of the week.

It's bad.

Special effects?: Bad. As in, Star Wars had better special effects in 1977.

Dialogue?: Bad. The jokes are bad, the "This doesn't look good" statements are hokey at best, and Ben Kingsley needs to smack his manager for sending him this script.

Physics?: Stretched thin and snapped in half a dozen places.

Any resemblance to the Ray Bradbury story on which it's based?: Minor...

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!: The "time-travel-as-a-business-and-rich-man's-entertainment" concept is in there, of course, and the butterfly still gets stepped on, causing all the havoc, but this was a short story, and it doesn't work (unlike, for example, so many of Philip K. Dick's short stories that DO work as feature-length movies) as a longer-version movie story. It's not a long movie, but I checked my watch three times, and towards the end my husband said, "You just wait til we get out of here!" (meaning it was my fault that I dragged him to see this, since it was my idea). We laughed about this movie over lunch.

To loosely paraphrase one of our board member's tag lines: "I lost 90 minutes of my life watching this dreck and I want it BACK!" :lol

Yeah, I can't imagine going to see ASoT... I can't imagine going to see The Cave either.. but given the choice between the two... I would go with The Cave 100% of the time. ASoT was finished in 2002!!!!! That is how long they sat on this pile of garbage. Sure they tried fine tuning the FX, but as Migwit will attest to... there is no way they could have spent more than a minute doing ANYTHING. I've seen poorly made video games with better FX (and acting too!)

And yes, Ben Kingsley needs to SHOOT his agent! First this then a role in Uwe Bowle's (seriously in contention for the worst director of all time) third video game adaptation, "Bloodrayne."

For the fun of adding yet another post to the board, and because I do enjoy movies a lot-

The last movie I saw was watched by myself Sunday evening (last night) and it was Spider-man. I believe it is the first or second time I've seen it since I saw it once in the theatre.

I wont give any review beyond saying I think it's worth a viewing at least once, and that I thought the parade battle between the Green Goblin and Spider-man was WAY too cartoonish looking. I liked it though!

Before that, I can't remember- oh wait, it was Alien 3! YES! that was a fantastic movie, I saw the theatrical version because I wanted to remember exactly what went on before I FINALLY watch the long version. Before that, I watched Alien Director's Cut followed by Aliens Special Edition (just a few days before Alien 3).

Some of my MOST favourite movies, ever.

The exorcism of Emily Rose

I just went to the movies yesterday and I saw the exorcism of Emily Rose. And I really loved it. But that might be because I do believe in supernatural things that might happen in this world. You either believe it or you don't. It is based on a true story. Not bad at all.

Re:

Saw "Corpse Bride" today.

(NOTE: I recommend NOT seeing it in the middle of the day on a Saturday! GOD! I realize its animation... but do kids EVER shut up in a movie? And if the movie is loud, they have to yell over it... that kinda ruined the movie for me.. worse theatre experience in a while.)

Did I like it? Yes. The animation was flawless. As was the voice-acting. The score was beautiful and haunting, and what songs there were ranged from great to mediocre. That is the biggest problem for me.. I was so looking forward to the amazing songs that we got with TNBC and it certainly didn't live up to TNBC in that respect. Also, the story was just a little... i don't know what. The idea of a man and a woman being forced to marry only to actually fall in love with each other THEN be seperated, by a DEAD woman no less, who takes the Groom for herself into the afterlife.... sounds like it should be AMAZING. But really.. that's basically it. That is the story and I just felt like there wasn't much invested into it beyond that.

I really did like this film and hope to see it again, but I will not pretend that I was not disappointed.

I also saw Corpse Bride today and the kids in the nearly sold out theatre were remarkably well behaved. I'd heard at SDCC that it wasn't wall to wall music, and was surprised when it started with a rather long production number ala NBC. But there was only one other number in the film I think.

I enjoyed it, wasn't blown away by NBC when I first saw that either, so maybe this one will grow on me. It was very cute and completely likable and for a Burton movie had a remarkably coherent story. Is it an instant classic? Not really. And really short too, only 77 minutes but seemed longer.

Back