Singapore toy games and comic convention and the hot toys scam

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel your pain bro, but you gotta realize with these show exclusives that either a few things are gonna happen:
1- you're gonna wait in line and get a truly exclusive item
2- you're gonna wait in line and not get diddly
3 - you're gonna wait in line and get it, but they'll be some shenanigans like... it ain't really that exclusive.
Either way, you have to accept it's going to go in your favor or completely sideways when you decide to give up your time/sleep to get the figure.
Just my philosophy when I'm doing Con exclusives.

:hi5::goodpost:

You really have to have limits of what you are willing to do to get these "exclusives". As expensive and difficult as these tickets are becoming to make it in the con and how expensive con trips can be, is one toy really worth blowing a whole day for it? After 13 hours in line, your day is ****ing shot! If you stay at the con, you are going to be one tired mofo! Is that figure really worth it? If the answer is yes, then does it matter if its available to others 6 months later?

At best, you waited just to be first to have it...if that ain't enough then it ain't worth waiting for period.

As DCFett said, you have to go into it certain of a limited number of possible outcomes.

Besides, with Iron Man being HTs cash cow and presumably the hold up for a myriad of other figures/licenses, did you really think these would be that rare? You know why they don't have production numbers? BECAUSE THEY MAKE A FRIGGIN TRUCK TON OF THESE MOTHER****ERS!!!!! It's the only way they make their development cost back.

Sorry you got hosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
:exactly:.. I bet that Hot Toys didn't think that a gold repaint of the Mark7 would cause such a panic. They probably thought lets make 800 of these and sell them to convention fans only, since it's just a repaint of Mark7. Then all hell breaks loose on their facebook page and other forums and they realize that this is more then just a gimmick figure, and is selling for a grand on Ebay. Let's make more for the market, and since this is a last minute idea, let's push it out to 1st quarter of next year for more to be released.

Now if on the other hand all of this was preplanned by Hot Toys, then they are really masters at baiting the market.:panic:

Well they don't lack the experience to know what to do... :dunno well played HT

The OP needs a hobby. Something less stressful then doll collecting.

p2zr4s.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I do realise that this is a first world problem. Don't get me wrong.

-This has nothing to do with Singapore. Hot Toys executives were on the ground that day and they made the decision to release more figures.

-Executives from the distribution company Action City already knew beforehand that a pre-order was going to be released as well yet they kept it under wraps

-Action City staff kept count of the people throughout the night without informing those in the queue that it was already way past the 800 person mark.

-Why we queue overnight? Unlike the USA or other countries, Singapore is very small. I'm talking about 1 hour drive from one end to the other at 60mph. That small. Hence, most distributors here would never make the whole sideshow order online and we mail to you method coz we could take a short ride to the store and pick up our item there and then.

End of the day, the companies knew what they were doing and took the collectors for a ride. Now that you guys know how this is turning out, don't believe the production numbers that they are stating.

I'm still holding onto about 1,000 limited edition chromium-covered comics from the '90s that I JUST KNEW WOULD BE WORTH SOMETHING.

:rotfl:lol

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I do realise that this is a first world problem. Don't get me wrong.

-This has nothing to do with Singapore. Hot Toys executives were on the ground that day and they made the decision to release more figures.

-Executives from the distribution company Action City already knew beforehand that a pre-order was going to be released as well yet they kept it under wraps

-Action City staff kept count of the people throughout the night without informing those in the queue that it was already way past the 800 person mark.

-Why we queue overnight? Unlike the USA or other countries, Singapore is very small. I'm talking about 1 hour drive from one end to the other at 60mph. That small. Hence, most distributors here would never make the whole sideshow order online and we mail to you method coz we could take a short ride to the store and pick up our item there and then.

End of the day, the companies knew what they were doing and took the collectors for a ride. Now that you guys know how this is turning out, don't believe the production numbers that they are stating.

Wow Singapore is that small?

it's a repaint!

just like those green spiderman repaints Hasbro has been doing for the last 3 decades. Oldest trick in the book.

I bet if this was a regular MMS, it would sell less than Silver Centurion. Truly well played, Hot Toys.

I have a conspiracy theory that Con Exclusives are usually R&D failures that would not otherwise survive as a regular release. Angelica? Gold repaint of Mark 7? Star Spangled Caps? The only way they can get rid of them in the warehouse is to brand those as "exclusives". Remember they spend a lot of money on R&D and you bet they have to at least promise the factories in China they will make 500 or 1000 of them.

so there you go - the con at the con

Crying about standing in line for a gold repainted doll. :lol

When you say that... somehow it makes me picture a golden dildo... :monkey1

Dunno, just seems more imaginable to see people queue 13 hours for a big titanium-gold-alloy dildo... and then cry in sexual frustration when they don't get it :monkey3

Wow... OP is retarded, its nice to see a scalper finally break

"what do you mean theres more! Every one who wants one will get a fair chance at getting one!! This is bull****, I had plans for this money, wah wah wah... Ill just leave this line then someone else can have it, thatll show THEM... (stomps away in an angry power walk)"

how is queuing for an exclusive toy wrong? Thats the only way you can get it in Asia, thats why the Hong Kong Fans queue up for them even though Hot Toys is there duh. Dont be an idiot

Wow. I can't believe how tough some among this crowd can be. And I always told people that just because grown up men collect toys doesn't mean they're immature.

Im laughing at the fact he went through all that to end up leaving in a fit when he realized it wasnt all that rare, still laughing at him :lol

LOL.

Are you crying because they are making more of these golden statues for even more collectors?

And were you born yesterday? All Hot Toys figures are "limited edition". Even when they are making 5 bazillion Mark XXVWTF, it's still limited edition.

I would feel pissed too if I went early to line up, then to find out there's more available. Not because of the number issued, feels like a kick in the nut by HT.

I'm surprised OP left the line, or did he sell his queue? Ppl sell their queue in HK very commonly and for a good price.

Thats why I buy these figures because I actually want the figure..not how much I can sell it for down the road...its always nice to know that your collection is worth more than you paid..but this guy isnt in it for the love of the collection.....so I shed no tear for him. Now if he went out and bought a $1500 Tumbler and then they rereleased it...different story..but still haha

Back