Sily question.. Moth in detolf, should I worry?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cingen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all!

I know this may sound silly, but today when I opened my detolf I noticed a small moth that was trying to get out of it.. With all the fabrics on my figures I can't help but worry, should I?

I have no idea how long it was in there, but I doubt it was more than 24 hours, probably ALOT less.

Thanks in advance for answering my silly question! :)

Did you kill it? Just clean it all out with a good wipe down. It's just a freak occurrence so I wouldn't worry.

Did you kill it? Just clean it all out with a good wipe down. It's just a freak occurrence so I wouldn't worry.

Nah didn't kill it, I just made sure it went out of my window and closed it, don't want bug blood on my figures ;)

Technically Tineola bisselliella (common clothes moth) and its close relatives could be a problem on figures with costumes.. but there are quite a lot of small moths that look a bit like Tineola, but do not eat cloth.. small blocks of cedar wood are a good deterrent to clothes moths.. and smell nice (unlike mothballs).

Technically Tineola bisselliella (common clothes moth) and its close relatives could be a problem on figures with costumes.. but there are quite a lot of small moths that look a bit like Tineola, but do not eat cloth.. small blocks of cedar wood are a good deterrent to clothes moths.. and smell nice (unlike mothballs).

I have no idea of how to identify moths XD All I know is that it was small, gray and desperate to get out.

I guess it got attracted by my dioder lights or something, since it was the only lightsource in my room.

I have no idea of how to identify moths XD All I know is that it was small, gray and desperate to get out.

I guess it got attracted by my dioder lights or something, since it was the only lightsource in my room.

Probably just a small moth attracted to the light.. which means its less likely it was a Tineola.. since they tend to be averse to lighting and prefer to lurk in the dark.

"Moth in Detolf" - why does that remind me of a Dr. Seuss book?

Do you have a lisp? Otherwise it might be moss, in which case I'd look at the moisture levels in your detolf.

Sounds like Mothman

wtf-mothman.jpg

Everything must be burned. Only way to be sure moth germs won't spread.

I would've thought that the clothing used for collectibles like the 1/6 scale figures, would be uninviting to insects - purely since they're likely to have light traces of paint / chemical / starch / glue (pick one or all) residue tainting them.

They'd immediately be repelled by traces of those things.. I wouldn't even worry about a tiny moth. It was attracted to the lights surely..

Or slivers of soap.

Holey Insect Insights, Mothman!.. this thread has struck a chord :)

Back