SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how different the production piece will fit, but the head was pretty darn snug inside the proto mask. The head should still be poseable, but the mask will move with it, as it should I suppose.

I haven't seen the Padawan Obi in person, but I take it it doesn't look like this...

Hairpieces.jpg

Here's more of my own proto pics.

Belts.jpg

Boots2.jpg

Hands2.jpg

LightedSaberArm.jpg

Obi-PadawanKenobiRegularPortrait01.jpg

Obi-PadawanKenobiActionPortrait02.jpg

Obi-PadawanKenobiActionPortrait01.jpg

The strange thing is I don't think they ever showed the prototype you painted... from day one it looked more like a production figure than a prototype and the final product matched pretty closely what we were shown.

It might be on the box art... but definitely the figure at SDCC (below) and I think the website photos are using a different piece.

IMG_6170.JPG

That's a smart move on their part. If this example of Obi Wan is the norm then the production piece looks only half as good as Nathan's proto. They're smart to show you exactly what your getting. Imagine they always advertised Nathan's paint and the production piece is what showed up every time. People would go ape s__t :lol

That's a smart move on their part. If this example of Obi Wan is the norm then the production piece looks only half as good as Nathan's proto. They're smart to show you exactly what your getting. Imagine they always advertised Nathan's paint and the production piece is what showed up every time. People would go ape s__t :lol

:goodpost::exactly::lecture

Yup.

Sideshow I believe stopped showcasing the painted protos awhile ago if I am not mistaken. I know when I had painted for them they would feature the actual painted proto on the website ads and on the box art. I think they stopped doing it because people were complaining about the factory paint apps. Nice job on Obi Wan Nathan. The hands especially.

Thanks, Josh. I can't say with total certainty if they never show protos anymore, but it definitely seems to be the case with many of the 1/6 stuff these days. A few of us artists are painting at Hot Toys level or better, and Sideshow's factories haven't been able to translate that into mass production. PFs and statues though may still show protos, but I haven't been paying close enough attention lately to know for sure.

I do know the Grievous I painted will never be seen again (partly because the painted parts weren't finalized tooling), and the new Vader may not show the parts I painted either. They haven't shown a clear shot of the headsculpt yet, so I can't say for sure. That said, the original Boba Fett (and many Clones) reveal and box art were my paint up. But the Battle Droids were not.

The strange thing is I don't think they ever showed the prototype you painted... from day one it looked more like a production figure than a prototype and the final product matched pretty closely what we were shown.
IMG_6170.JPG

That's correct. My proto hasn't been seen until now.

At least once or twice, I was told to dial it back a bit for that very reason. I never could though.

Can't deny that makes a lot of sense... just a shame never to show off that work though :lol

Once something has been shipped to customers, showing my original paint work is no different than doing a repaint and showing that, unless it somehow reveals a production process secret, but that usually doesn't include painting.

It was nice meeting you Nathan on sunday towards the end of the show and seeing your awesome paint up's in person! Truly a master at his craft!!

Thanks for the tips about the blotchy red on the skin, I gotta give that a try for sure.

Can't wait until next year.......Sorry I didn't say goodbye I just totally forgot, I blame that on Shortround :)......JK just kidding Hector! :rotfl

Oh thanks for the Cherry Dr. Pepper, your right that is the stuff! :)

Mike:duff

Damn...can I ask you? Who or how then they paint HS after proto? How this process looks? You paint head and then you will write manual on it? Which color use and how? Or....

Because that OBI is FANTASTIC!!!

Elar, usually what happens is I will paint something, and it will go to the factory. An artist at the factory will try to replicate my paint job on his own, and when he gets it right (or very close) he will then show the factory people how HE did it. Sometimes it may require asking me for more details about my process, but they almost never use the same paints. We can't even get the paint in the USA that is allowed in China.

I would really, REALLY, like my SSC Boba Fett re-painted... Just like the prototype. :)

I think the production paint up came out very close to my original work, but if you really, REALLY want it enahnced a bit, I can maybe do that for you. PM me.

This guy loves his job! Look at that smile! :exactly:

That smile is because you had just told me you were literally going to give me the shirt off your back. :wink1:

It was nice meeting you Nathan on sunday towards the end of the show and seeing your awesome paint up's in person! Truly a master at his craft!!

Thanks for the tips about the blotchy red on the skin, I gotta give that a try for sure.

Can't wait until next year.......Sorry I didn't say goodbye I just totally forgot, I blame that on Shortround :)......JK just kidding Hector! :rotfl

Oh thanks for the Cherry Dr. Pepper, your right that is the stuff! :)

Mike:duff

Pleasure meeting you as well, and it's my pleasure to share my tips (just not all at once). No worries on the goodbye. ShortRound is just like that.:lol Cherry Dr Pepper:hi5:

Time out! What? Safety reasons?? (Glances at collection) Like fumes when they're being painted or we talking not safe to lick here?

Back