SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they seem to be doing fine without me. But, thanks to three individual Freaks here with connections, I now do paint masters for four different companies.

And now I KNOW Sideshow wasn't paying me what the work was worth. I sometimes get paid more for one statue now than what Sideshow was giving me for three of comparable quality.:cuckoo:

That's pretty awful to hear, Nathan - and I would say their working on a budget is showing in the growing complaints in the last few months on their production pieces. If you are willing to cut corners in one place, it will show up in all aspects of the business.

If they keep cutting corners, it will eventually bite them in the ass. Eventually a high quality competitor will emerge - their 6th scale stuff is already crushed by Hot Toys (but they have a partnership with them, so no biggie there I guess) - now another company needs to compete in the 1/4th mixed media department, and maybe they'll get their act together.

Maybe your work is too good, and they know their crappy Chinese factories can't even come close on the production pieces, so they need less talented painters :lol.

Your Draper actually looks much nicer in person than he does in those shots. Black backdrop, black hair, and pale skin made it hard to capture the true skintone well.

I have no doubt. I'm always blown away by your pictures, then absolutely dumbfounded when I get the sculpt in hand.

They both look awesome! Congrats again Marf! 3 In a row!

Thanks Ryan, the last few weeks have been pretty exciting thanks to Nathan! I'm a happy collector :hi5:

And a special thanks to Cavlcade for hooking me up with the his copy of the shrunken Indy PF head. Soon, my own Indy will look like this.

Awesome! :yess: Cavlcade is the man. Let me know if you still want that respirator bag.

Wow, Dane! Congrats on this. What a beaut! So jealous. Gotta pay Trevor for one of these already. :slap

Thanks homie, can't wait to give life to Don and Marty with these amazing sculpts.

Nathan,

1) Sideshow not paying you what you worth is no surprise, much like Josh anyways your prototype paints always killed it and their production samples could never hold a candle. I'm not much of a fan of Sideshow so I'm glad other companies are giving you what you are worth

2) I did a lot of clean up on Marf's and Shortround's sculpts for the shrunken Indy. It was quite roughly textured and had a bunch of nicks and holes. Plus the permanent sculpted twisted neck. Not sure if Calvacade cleaned it up. I'm sure your talent can handle it the clean up if you wanted but if you want some tips or if you want me to help you out with it don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Still LOVE that sculpt. So glad I didn't kill my bash when i heard HT was doing an Indy, look how well that turned out. :monkey4

That's pretty awful to hear, Nathan - and I would say their working on a budget is showing in the growing complaints in the last few months on their production pieces. If you are willing to cut corners in one place, it will show up in all aspects of the business.

If they keep cutting corners, it will eventually bite them in the ass. Eventually a high quality competitor will emerge - their 6th scale stuff is already crushed by Hot Toys (but they have a partnership with them, so no biggie there I guess) - now another company needs to compete in the 1/4th mixed media department, and maybe they'll get their act together.

Maybe your work is too good, and they know their crappy Chinese factories can't even come close on the production pieces, so they need less talented painters :lol.

So your calling Mike Najera, Anthony Mestas mediocre painters???

IAwesome! :yess: Cavlcade is the man. Let me know if you still want that respirator bag.

Yes, please.

2) I did a lot of clean up on Marf's and Shortround's sculpts for the shrunken Indy. It was quite roughly textured and had a bunch of nicks and holes. Plus the permanent sculpted twisted neck. Not sure if Calvacade cleaned it up. I'm sure your talent can handle it the clean up if you wanted but if you want some tips or if you want me to help you out with it don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Still LOVE that sculpt. So glad I didn't kill my bash when i heard HT was doing an Indy, look how well that turned out. :monkey4

The one I got still has the neck for now, but it's pretty clean. A little clean up here and there maybe. No big. Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

Easy, Carlos. I know Mike's a personal friend of yours, and he and Anthony are good friends, but no need to go telling them to see what Nathan's talking ____ about in his thread now. These Freaks are just complimenting me, and knocking on the factories. It's no secret Sideshow's factories can't live up to anybody's paint masters, not Mike's, not Anthony's, not Heath's, not Berny's. Those guys are all excellent.

Their prototype painters should not be held responsible for sideshow's crappy paint. Every one of them knows what they are doing and thats why the protos always look 100 times better than what you get. SS prototypes has had amazing paint jobs and us freaks love the work of all those guys.

Sideshow just sucks in factory post production paint jobs. Some turn out closer to the prototypes than others.

If there's any doubt about how much SS's production process sucks take a look at Josh Small's PF TOD Indy prototype Vs. production. It's one of the worst examples.

I thought the sarcasm in my last line was evident by a laughing smiley face. Guess the internets has gone a changin' on me.

Not trying to derail your thread, Nathan.

So to be clear, no, I'm not calling any current sideshow prototype painter bad, nor mediocre- I was merely saying why Nathan may not be with Sideshow anymore, saying his stuff has transcended what their factory can dream of matching. There was collateral damage in the joke.

We're sorry, our bad.

#jokeexplainedtokillthefun

DonDraperLeft.jpg

Jesus, dude, that's insane. Very lifelike. Even enlarged like this. In hand it must look like a little severed head. And the eyes are a miracle; so glisteny and alive.

Back