SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plate separation detailing is remarkable...already shaping up to be hideously beautiful...Gigeriffic.

Already since posting those last pics, I've refined one side and it looks so much better. And it's not quite as tedious as I thought. I think this will soon have the SilentSurfer seal of approval.:yess:

Sorry, Reinhardt.

Already since posting those last pics, I've refined one side and it looks so much better. And it's not quite as tedious as I thought. I think this will soon have the SilentSurfer seal of approval.:yess:

Sorry, Reinhardt.

I know you're your own worst critic, but "absolute crap" isn't something most would say about those initial pics. Looking forward to the progress on this, especially because of the unusual finishing process.

you sir are a beast! i hope to have you paint one of my pieces in the future once you start taking commissions again. keep up the awesome work

EyeDetail.jpg

I thought I had commented on this before, but it seems not, never hurts to double up anyway. The eye paint job you did on this bust is insane, great work and the whole bust looks fantastic. In going back to find this, I saw you comment about wanting to do more with it, anything ever come of that? I'm curious if you have any other Godzilla paint ups you could share.

Sorry, Reinhardt.

I just want to say how awesome it is that you will share progress shots. Just seeing how your work develops is really helpful to us that are just starting.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

you sir are a beast! i hope to have you paint one of my pieces in the future once you start taking commissions again. keep up the awesome work

I hope to paint one of your pieces in the near future. Stay tuned.

I thought I had commented on this before, but it seems not, never hurts to double up anyway. The eye paint job you did on this bust is insane, great work and the whole bust looks fantastic. In going back to find this, I saw you comment about wanting to do more with it, anything ever come of that? I'm curious if you have any other Godzilla paint ups you could share.

I have an idea to make a water base for him since he's just a head and I hate busts as stand alone pieces. But a water diorama is perfect for a complete display of Godzilla. I want to make it look like he is rising out of churning water, and I want the water to be cast in clear material. I have seen some mind blowing water effects done, but I haven't had time to research how to do that yet. When I get that done, I will gray him up a little and then make him look wet.

I also have a large block of balsa foam that I will carve "Gojira" out of in Japanese letters, and that will sit in front of him as a large, independent logo accessory kind of thing.

Well if it is crap I got some space left in my display case ;)

It's no longer crap.:clap I've refined the detail to my liking and will be finishing the skull portion tomorrow. Pics before permanently attaching the dome soon.

Hey buddy,
Still waiting for the extra Walter HS that you have! :wink1:

I've got a small batch of Walter coming up. Hang tight.

I just want to say how awesome it is that you will share progress shots. Just seeing how your work develops is really helpful to us that are just starting.

Bravo sir. Bravo.

Thanks and you're welcome. I thought I'd go ahead and do a WIP series on this one since I have no intention of ever doing it again. If some statue owners want the body paint enhanced, I may be down for that, but doing a kit from scratch with all that head detail is not something I'll consider repeating lightly. I'm throwing all the passion I have for Big Chap into this one project, but I wanted to take you all along for the ride. And if you guys pic up tricks here or there, you're welcome to them.

Speaking of Alien, how cool would this be? Too bad Hollywood doesn't have this.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiOr4CJhVFI&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
I hope your eyes are hungry, because I am about to serve you up some deliscious 'hotdog head'. That's what my best friend and I used to call the Kenner 18" Alien figure.

Anyway, I'll be posting pics in the next hour. And when you see what lives up to my expectations, you will know I was honest in my personal assessment that the paint work in the previous pics I posted was CRAP.

Been out of the custom game a while but been catching up with everyone's thread, your stuff never ceases to impress me Nathan.

Oh and that MGM Alien ride totally messed me up at like age 6. I was still terrified that one would come out of the hotel ceiling and murder me in my sleep that night.

Oh, to enjoy horror as a kid again. Too bad we can't go back experience things like that again. Aliens was scary ____, but now it's just an action movie.

I couldn't sleep for 24 hours after the first time I watched Alien, the concept of the facehuggers and the chestburster and the way the Alien could just blend into things, scared the ____ out of me, despite knowing in my head such things don't exist, it had me so worked up I was afraid to go to sleep.

I remember when Aliens came out, Siskel and Ebert reviewed it, and Ebert said it was so scary he had to watch eight other movies to get it off his mind.:cuckoo:

I also remember as a little kid, my family watched Alien at my grandparents' house, and my mom tried to cover my eyes with a knit blanket during the chestburster scene, but I totally watched it through the gaps in the knitting.

I also remember as a little kid, my family watched Alien at my grandparents' house, and my mom tried to cover my eyes with a knit blanket during the chestburster scene, but I totally watched it through the gaps in the knitting.

awesome!!! I remember watching Psycho as a kid and they had me turn around turn during certain scenes, but I was able to watch it through the mirror behind the tv. :lol

And hopefully, Prometheus will be as brilliant.

And on that note, here is my attempt to honor the brilliance of Giger's Big Chap.

Finished skull paint up.

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-FrontB.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-RightSide.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-LeftSide.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-FrontLeft.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-Front.jpg

Dome fit without tinting.

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-UnpaintedDomeLeft.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-UnpaintedDomeRight.jpg

SanoAlien-FinishedSkull-UnpaintedDomeFront.jpg

Last edited:
Back