Sideshow Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm quite surprised by all this. Leo is $50 cheaper than He-man and his exclusive edition size is less than half. And TMNT is arguably a much more popular franchise. I wonder why SSC did this? Could it be since generally if you buy one, you gotta buy all 4 turtles to complete the collection?

Either way they must be surprised that he waitlisted sof quickly.

Setting the ES is very tricky, need to have the right formula to have decent size & quick sellout. If the ES was 1000 I highly doubt they would have reached 500 by now.

This was a good deal. Low ES EX and free shipping at this price and scale nowadays is unheard off for a Sideshow sculpt. Particularly for a hot property like the Turtles.

This was not a piece to pass on waiting for a deal if you had any interest in it. Whoever did pass has not been paying attention.

Now that we're all in, if the next ones have the same ES, I'd expect them to go fast within day-1 as well.

Wonder if these will all be 500. I'll be honest, I thought the price would be higher and the ES would be open. I didn't have to think much about ordering, and am glad I did given the sellout.

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but why is mostly everyone glad for a low ES and quick waitlist? Yes, I know some will be quickto jump to the 'low ES, better quality' point but there have been status out there with high ES and the quality is still very good so I can't find much validation in that. And then there is the reason of it having a high resell value for a low ES. This point has been talked to death at this point so no need to go talk about a redundant subject again. As a hobbie where it's mostly all about collecting,growing that collection and sharing it with a like minded individuals, wouldn't we want everyone to have a chance at getting a collectiable items so that everyone can enjoy it? I dunno, when I see some individual here post things like they are happy it has a low ES or glad it waitlisted in 10 or so hours, it sound like such a self-centered thing to say because it just means somone out there is missing on the EX who is a true fan of TMNT and now has to see if the waitlist converts or worse, buy it later through the second market for a lot more.

I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but why is mostly everyone glad for a low ES and quick waitlist? Yes, I know some will be quickto jump to the 'low ES, better quality' point but there have been status out there with high ES and the quality is still very good so I can't find much validation in that. And then there is the reason of it having a high resell value for a low ES. This point has been talked to death at this point so no need to go talk about a redundant subject again. As a hobbie where it's mostly all about collecting,growing that collection and sharing it with a like minded individuals, wouldn't we want everyone to have a chance at getting a collectiable items so that everyone can enjoy it? I dunno, when I see some individual here post things like they are happy it has a low ES or glad it waitlisted in 10 or so hours, it sound like such a self-centered thing to say because it just means somone out there is missing on the EX who is a true fan of TMNT and now has to see if the waitlist converts or worse, buy it later through the second market for a lot more.

I understand your argument, just see a different side is all. First, I don't think anyone has said low ES means better quality. Some, including myself, are just happy to see SS go back to do what they started out doing - creating quality collectibles on a limited basis. Second, I don't think it's self-centered to want something that is a limited item. I don't sell very much of what I collect, because that's what I am - a collector. Being a collector means I like items that aren't mass produced. If someone wants to collect mass produced Hasbro figures, go for it. As long as that's what they like. Anybody getting into this stuff knows that pieces are limited. Some a lot more so than others. Facts of the hobby. I sincerely hope those that wanted one get it. But just because I did and said I was happy to see the old SS emerge doesn't make me a bad person.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do one with 350.

How would Sideshow benefit from that? After Leo selling out in 10 hours, these are only going to sell out faster from now on. Sideshow would be throwing away a guaranteed $50,000+ by reducing one of the TMNT's edition sizes to 350.

I got on this too, couldn't resist and I've been waiting on a set of Turtles that I like and are affordable for some time now. Sideshow did an excellent job here. I'm a little worried about how the seems look in person but I think it'll be okay, still think they should've covered any necessary seems up more though.

Hoping I'll be able to fit all four in one Besta shelf looking good but we'll see.

I understand your argument, just see a different side is all. First, I don't think anyone has said low ES means better quality. Some, including myself, are just happy to see SS go back to do what they started out doing - creating quality collectibles on a limited basis. Second, I don't think it's self-centered to want something that is a limited item. I don't sell very much of what I collect, because that's what I am - a collector. Being a collector means I like items that aren't mass produced. If someone wants to collect mass produced Hasbro figures, go for it. As long as that's what they like. Anybody getting into this stuff knows that pieces are limited. Some a lot more so than others. Facts of the hobby. I sincerely hope those that wanted one get it. But just because I did and said I was happy to see the old SS emerge doesn't make me a bad person.

I completely also understand your point of view slynger. Like you, I do collect items because like you, I too am a collector. I guess I collect base on things that I like or enjoy because to me, that's what make them worth something and I don't always need to have the item be stamps with a 'XXX out of XXX' stamp on the bottom to give them that worth and I know not everyone see's it that way and that perfectly fine. I think it's awesome that we all have different opinions. Again, I know I'm in the minotrity on this but I like when SS does the who "TBD" on edition size first, that way it gives everyone a change to get there statue, get it EX and even give it some time for those that would like to save a bit of money with a promo code or wait to for there reward points to clear so they can get that item at a discount. The item will still be limited and you'll be one of hundres or thousand to have this limited peice but it at least gives a change for eveyone to get it without having it being sold out so fast. Again, I don't disagree with your point of view and no one is a bad person for liking SS old ways of PO. But just wanted to share my point of view.

Yes it does......it makes you a terrible person. :)

It is a selfish hobby. Most collectors want things that look good and are rare/unique/desired by others. Most collectors take pride in that as they build their collections. They also take pride that they acted quickly and made a good decision (investment) while they could. Getting that "I acted quickly, smart and made a great deal!!!" feeling. In order for that to be the case, a majority of others would have to miss out on many statues.

When it comes to these items, if everyone could buy anything at anytime then they wouldn't be collectibles. Just mass produced nice looking pieces of polystone.

Finally, a true fan of the turtles would have been ready to order these so they don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

As a collector, I love something that has a very limited run. That's part of the fun of collecting. To be able to say you're one of 500 people in the world to own something is awesome. I've been on both sides of the fence and I don't hold a grudge on someone making money off a rare item. I think the next 3 will have a 500 ES, but if they don't...then game on!! It's fun trying to be the quickest to order.

It almost doesn't matter what the ES of the rest of the turtles are, because the most that there ever could be of an EX set (all 4) is now set at no more than 350. In reality, it'll be less than, but never more.

Back