Statue Sideshow - T-Rex: Tyrant King Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price increase between the T. rex maquette and the T. rex statue is quite steep. But, if my measurments are correct, the T. rex statue is noticably larger. :)

trexcomparison_zps589ab14c.jpg~original

I love this comparison shot, whether or not the sizes are 100% (probably very close though). Even though I've been a dinosaur freak for half a century and T-rex is one of my favorites, I never got the first Rex. There are countless interpretations of what dinosaurs looked like, but the first one never really did anything for me. It was hard for me to pass up simply because it was T-rex, but this new one is what I've been waiting for. I love the beefiness and the whole posture. I think I like it even more than my 1/10 T-rex from Charles McCrady, and that's been king for me for about 20 years.

It's here, it's big, and the paint job is quite well done. Taking a bunch of pics now, will post them soon.

tyrant.jpg

Here are the rest of the pics, and some different lighting situations as well. FYI, you can view the images in a new tab to see their full size.

The paint on this dinosaur really turned out excellent. You have to get really nitpicky to find fault in it. One such nitpicky fault is that the stone around the base is more gloss black than the grey that all the other sculpts are. It doesn't make much sense to have a unified base theme if they aren't going to have the paint match? But the tyrannosaur is near perfect, possibly the best painted Dinosauria piece yet.

However, I do have some issues with the sculpt, which are the same concerns I had from the prototype pictures. First, I personally don't like how smooth the top of his neck and shoulders are. It makes me think of Friar Tuck and I would have preferred a more spiky or rough treatment of that area. But more importantly I don't think they chose a good pose for the Tyrant King of the dinosaurs. It is very passive and awkward, making it hard to display him ideally. The way his face tilts down to the left makes it hard to see unless he is placed above on a high shelf. Also, since his whole head is turned to the left, viewing him from the right is almost pointless since he will just be looking away from you.

That said, the actual sculpt work is impressively done. His head is as detailed as you could hope and his mouth and teeth look excellent. That detail caries nicely all the way to the tip of his tail. As mentioned already, the t-rex is surprisingly light weight. When I pulled him out of the box I was prepared for a much heavier sculpture. The base is actually pretty heavy though and with its size this is a difficult figure to move around, so I think it's a good weight balance and maybe just a little lighter than the Cam v Allo piece. Overall its an impressive statue and the production quality feels like it justifies the price to me. It's just a shame how they decided to pose his head. PICS:

tyrant1.jpg

tyrant2.jpg

tyrant3.jpg

tyrant4.jpg

tyrant5.jpg

tyrant6.jpg

tyrant7.jpg

Got mine. It's not one of those pieces that floors you, but I like the paint and sculpt. However, mine has serious paint flaking on the base, and Rex's nose is pretty scraped up. Sorry about the mess in the background--it's been a long week! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429926472.601808.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics! It's hard to make the Apatosaurus look small but this big girl sure looks to be doing it! So the size is a good reason for a price increase it's closer to 1:15 or 1:12 as far as scale goes it looks like to me. Since the first Rex maquette was supposed to be male and more gracile ( David based it on the fossil known as STAN I think), this one looks much more like the larger SUE specimen which is more robust.

Which angle to display pieces like this I've often found difficult. I think all should be in island shelves you can walk all the way around ideally.

Anyone has the idea of the half-eaten prey?? I think it's a poor Kritosaurus. Actually it's not a small dino, it can be 10 meters long (I just googled it, haha)

Kritosaurus2o.jpg

Kritosaurusec.jpg

WOW Jerassic. You have managed to make great pictures! It is so beautiful this statue. I have no words ... We must thank to Jorge Blanco because for several years he makes us happy. I love everything this man sculpts in this segment of paleontology.RESPECT!

Hi, I've been following this forum for months after ordering the Tyrant King Exclusive, I just registered today as a user. Thank you all for your posts, information and pictures, they are fantastic. I'm expecting to pick up the Rex box next week. I also bought the second edition Stegosaurus, the Sideshow people told me it would be shipped this past Wednesday, but nothing has changed in my order status, still says "Processing". Does anyone have any information on this dino or anyone who's also waiting for it with more info?
Thanks again and Cheers!

Jerassic, thank you very much for all your pics! I'm a bit scared because I'm also planing to put the Tyrant King with the Apatosaurus on the same shelf, but the space in the shelf with the Apatosaurus on it had only 3" of clear space to the other shelf on the top. I was looking the T.Rex is a bit taller than the Apatosaurus. Is that space OK for the Tyrant king to fit?
Thank you!

Not at all really. The sauropods are especially out of scale. Now the new Rex and Trike go together, and I believe the past Rex that David sculpted goes along with McVey's Spinosaurus. The Deinosuchus may also fit that pairing..but I have only had a cursory look.
Thanks . I should look into the deinonychus then. Prefer my displays in uniform scale.

Back