Statue Sideshow - T-Rex: Tyrant King Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures, pictures and ... pictures and ...??? nothing yet:)))) ???LOL I'm curious to see poor herbivore body near the T-rex. I love a lot this original combination. ROARRRRRRRRRR .... :))))) Anyway I own all variants of T-rex from Sideshow. A short opinion. I checked all variants and I noticed something interesting and I can not say that one or the other they have anatomically problems , but I must admit that skin texture and detail of the T-rex by David Krentz are taken to extreme and deep delight the eyes. I would be able to watch for hours that sculpture.However this t-rex by Jorge Blanco remains one of my favorites . I think my favorite statue remains Apatosaurus, do not know why but it is brilliant!!! Maybe I love more sauropods. Mosasaur in my opinion is one of the most original, organic and dynamic statue from Sideshow in recent years!:)

I like em' all for different reasons really. The depiction of each has it's own beauty..the first Rex VS Trike dio is skillfully done..I can't imagine sculpting that..so many tight corners and it all balances on the one foot of the Triceratops..pretty epic. David's Rex screams " old warrior" the deep cuts, creases and folds is an animal that seen everything and done everything and is stronger for it. Though he is still wise enough to fear other larger tyrannosaurs. The new one reminds me a lot of the Gorgosaurus/Albertosaurus in Phil Tippets Prehistoric Beast short film. It's a well fed beast of an animal in the prime of life stalking the thick conifer forests snatching the unwary..a true monster.

Found on FB... Owner not really happy... Says it feels like plastic.. Looks pretty good to me...

10408783_10206260388696706_1051144133594397035_n.jpg

Looks good to me! I'd like to see some sunlight pics..might have to wait for mine to get some.

Oi, some people.."feels like plastic" well it's resin..which is a type of plastic. Weight..yeah it's light and a bit hollow..reduces load on your shelf, cost of the piece itself, and helps the figure stay on the base. At least he's happy with the paint/sculpting. lol

Actually...I do really hope it can be a little bit solid if it doesn't affect the balance. I agree with hollow when it's necessary (for example Mosasaur)...otherwise nothing wrong with a little bit heavy itself...it's a statue not a toy after all, we put it on the shelf we don't take it like we play PAPO dinosaur all the time.

I like the photo, very nice.

Actually...I do really hope it can be a little bit solid if it doesn't affect the balance. I agree with hollow when it's necessary (for example Mosasaur)...otherwise nothing wrong with a little bit heavy itself...it's a statue not a toy after all, we put it on the shelf we don't take it like we play PAPO dinosaur all the time.

I like the photo, very nice.

I think only the larger parts have hollow ares inside of them. The head, chest, tail, thighs..the feet, most of the tail, majority of snout is probably solid. I think it's called roto-casting? It's a common practice to reduce price and weight. If it were poly-stone or something similar it probably weight twice-three times as much. That might affect shipping costs as well. So I can see why they did it.

Hehe I remember when I bought Protoceratops vs Velociraptor and I was amazed that it is so solid and has weight. Not to mention the Allosaurus vs Camara, which I said that I will break the glass shelf :))) I saw on youtube Rhino Maquette from Sideshow is still a big statue, and the owners were complaining that it is hollow, and has a light weight, and because of this, cracks began to appear in some parts of the statue. Honestly I do not find any justification to reduce quality of this statues. However cost $ 390 + transport to Europe 150 ... hmmm
PS: The statues that cost over $ 400 I think the team at Sideshow should adopt a policy that statues to be delivered free in US, or make a discount for international transport :(. I checked how much it cost the T-rex by David Krentz and how much cost the new t-rex, which is about the same size. Ok, it's been some years since the release of the first statue but the difference is $ 181. This difference of money should reflect the quality of the statue...right?:lecture

I think only the larger parts have hollow ares inside of them. The head, chest, tail, thighs..the feet, most of the tail, majority of snout is probably solid. I think it's called roto-casting? It's a common practice to reduce price and weight. If it were poly-stone or something similar it probably weight twice-three times as much. That might affect shipping costs as well. So I can see why they did it.

Yes, I've seen someone who broke the statue because it's flaw and they need to break it for exchange new one from sideshow. And the larger parts is usually hollow like you said which make sense, and thanks God the neck, tail, legs, and head are all solid. I like they make hollow part because they consider what's the best for statues or for us not because they want to over reduce their cost for themselves instead of professional judgement. Well, SS seems to have no such problem so far...they don't have to do that.

6e6e614a20a446231aac640e9c22720e0df3d7c0.jpg
93a358c6a7efce1bf87709a6ab51f3deb58f65ce.jpg
ac1ddddeb48f8c54f86c03433e292df5e1fe7fef.jpg
d773a994a4c27d1e7810faa81fd5ad6eddc43870.jpg
2b781a9b033b5bb5108b5c2732d3d539b700bc53.jpg

Hehe I remember when I bought Protoceratops vs Velociraptor and I was amazed that it is so solid and has weight. Not to mention the Allosaurus vs Camara, which I said that I will break the glass shelf :))) I saw on youtube Rhino Maquette from Sideshow is still a big statue, and the owners were complaining that it is hollow, and has a light weight, and because of this, cracks began to appear in some parts of the statue. Honestly I do not find any justification to reduce quality of this statues. However cost $ 390 + transport to Europe 150 ... hmmm
PS: The statues that cost over $ 400 I think the team at Sideshow should adopt a policy that statues to be delivered free in US, or make a discount for international transport :(. I checked how much it cost the T-rex by David Krentz and how much cost the new t-rex, which is about the same size. Ok, it's been some years since the release of the first statue but the difference is $ 181. This difference of money should reflect the quality of the statue...right?:lecture

Well sometimes the statue could be expensive...not because the original price itself but the delivery cost...it's a huge cost for some countries. We, non-U.S. members, really need discount, it helps something!!

I also have Allosaurus vs Camara(the first paint)...and yes, it's really~~~~~heavy, I can't believe its not the biggest one but it seems like the heaviest one...and I really love this statue. Some fans are crazy about the weight, I'm not, but I want everything make sense and reasonable. Still, 'a little heavy' is healthy for a statue, haha

Oh I'm with you on the price increase. I've been complaining about it since we hit the cost of the Stegosaurus...which was a larger piece. I can only guess that costs of materials have gone up and Sideshow isn't gouging us.

I don't see how something being lighter weight causes cracks. My guess is there is a production flaw somewhere..maybe too thin in a certain spot? I don't where the cracks are, but looking at the statue itself it seems a bulky well done piece. Light weight for the statue and heft for the base is what keeps them sturdy.

The Camara VS Allo piece has weight, but it's all in the base..it has quite a large base compared to other pieces. With Sideshow adding this black rock to the bases it does add some more weight to the overall piece too.

The price increase between the T. rex maquette and the T. rex statue is quite steep. But, if my measurments are correct, the T. rex statue is noticably larger. :)

trexcomparison_zps589ab14c.jpg~original

I've totally missed all the activity over the last couple weeks :( Stupid work schedule.

But on the bright side the T-Rex looks like it turned out awesome and my wife just told me that I have a Sideshow box waiting for me at home. :yess:

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have a chance to grab some pics to share with everyone comparing the old and new T-Rex statues. But first I need to find a spot to place the new Rex. It's not a good thing to run out of cabinet display room. :/

Yes, I've seen someone who broke the statue because it's flaw and they need to break it for exchange new one from sideshow. And the larger parts is usually hollow like you said which make sense, and thanks God the neck, tail, legs, and head are all solid. I like they make hollow part because they consider what's the best for statues or for us not because they want to over reduce their cost for themselves instead of professional judgement. Well, SS seems to have no such problem so far...they don't have to do that.

View attachment 181167

Ouch! Those pics hurt my heart. My worst nightmare is to see all my statues and fossils smashed to pieces.

This looks pretty solid relatively speaking. Looks good too. Compare those pictures to the Predator bio I recently destroyed, squint and you can just about see it... 1mm thick, I did ye not.

jscYQs4.jpg

Back