Sideshow supplying incorrect customs information to Fed Ex on sale items / discounts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further developments:

I only just got in so am catching up on today's emails.

At 15.16 today I received a reply from HMRC:

At 17.16 FedEx replied to my email which quoted HMRC's ruling on calculating VAT ("You base it on the price actually paid"):

This reply was from the same Customer Relations person who had previously insisted:

I'm pleased that this is resolved, and that FedEx can be made to see sense. It's as much about the principle of the matter as the money itself.

Well done, I got absolutely nowhere.
It also goes to prove that this is not "a correct local tax issue" of any kind. Which is the brush off that Sideshow have been giving.

Sideshow really need to just send the price we paid, I'm constantly getting charged the wrong amount via FedEx. Since Sideshow are the ones arranging the shipping on our behalf surely the problem is for them to sort it out.

Sick of hearing we get asked to supply 2 invoices etc, any other company I order from with discount etc only provides one, and I've never had any problems.

Sideshow if you are reading this, please for once sort this problem out, once I have my final few items I've PO I'm done ordering. That's 5k plus you are loosing on one customer per year And it adds up to £££ in wrong VAT calculations that I'm paying.

Yes you can add me to that financial loss sideshow, and if you don't care about losing customers, well... I don't care either.

Hi there, long time lurker with first post.

Thanks very much for this useful info.
I'm having the exact same problem with FedEx (VAT charged on full rather than discounted amount) and was lucky to come across this thread.

I'm also puzzled as to why I have an extra "Import Duty / Original Duty" charge on my latest invoice. All of my previous FedEx invoices just had Adv. fee + Import Tax (VAT).
Does anyone know under what circumstances the "Import Duty / Original Duty" charge is applied?

I also notice that line amount for VAT now says "Original VAT" where it just used to say "VAT". A conscious policy to charge on the original amount rather than amount paid???

I'll report back when I finally hear from them ... Cheers.

I don't know about the change in wording, but the Advancement fee can be waived if you create an account with FedEx.

Set up a card for them to take payments and they no longer charge their 'admin fee' for every delivery. :)

Thanks for that. Anything that helps take the sting out :)

I'm just about ready to order my Batman Armory (full set) from Sideshows for $624.99. I have 240 point and want to use my 20% off 4th July promo code, but don't seem to be able to use both reward and code for the same purchase. If I can only use one or the other, I will of course use the 20% promo code before it expires tomorrow. How much will I have to pay on top of the payment to Sideshows once I receive the item?

It gets worse lol, I'm in dispute of an invoice which is incorrect, and we have been exchanging emails over the past week.

I've just had a letter from FedEx saying they have my Marty Mcfly and I have to ring them.
So I give the a bell and they are saying that if I don't pay my other invoice the won't release my figure, I told them I was in dispute of the invoice, and I have sent Info ect via email.

I told them I have no problem paying for Marty as the invoice is correct, they said no and refused to accept payment. Saying the will return the figure back to Sideshow if I don't pay the other invoice.

Surely it's illegal for them to hold an item that has had the shipping paid and I'm willing to pay the VAT etc

I received 2 invoices from Fed Ex this week for figures in the last few weeks, both are correct...someone is now doing something right...

Interesting development with my issue.
FedEx finally resolved my problems and reissued an invoice with the correct amounts. I.e. discounted price paid by me used to calculate duty.

They did however warn that this may not always be the case ...

"Discounts are not always taken into account by Customs and they can levy import charges based on the full price of the goods regardless of the actual amount that you have paid.

For discounts be considered they must be universal and available to everyone or earned trade discounts.

Further information can be found on the Customs website under Public Notice 252 Section 3.16."

Glad you finally got that sorted out. :)

As for the allowance of discounts, problems shouldn't arise with purchases from Sideshow.

The discounts they offer are open to everyone.

I ran a search on HMRC for 'discounts', and looked at those referring to customs.

This is the section that seems to apply in this case:

GACV07050 - Exclusions from the customs value: discounts and allowances

Sideshow discounts are either freely offered or earned through purchases as a loyalty incentive.

Thanks, appreciate the clarification.
Han and Chewie are due soon with applicable discounts ... we shall see what occurs :)

I've just been charged full V.A.T on a heavily discounted (reward points) item. Points covered about 50% of the original cost.

Not only that but my item was 'On van for delivery' Wednesday, prompting me to stay in all day, only for it to be returned to the local sorting office.
Been promised it will finally arrive Friday.

Fed-Ex told me duty is charged on full retail value, they disregard any discounts.

My WL for the Masked Hunter Bust converted yesterday and I cancelled because Fed-Ex seem to pluck numbers out of thin air.

There was an item I and two other members received, a while back. We were all charged different amounts of duty.
Can't be doing with the hassle and with Sideshow having ridiculous price rises I doubt I'll be ordering anything else..

Back