Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ink, for God's sake, please be objective for once! Koto is producing PVC also, why nobody wants to see the fact that Sideshow's PRICES ARE KEEP GOING UP AND THEIR QC KEEPS GOING DOWN!!!

Recieved a return label today from SS. Filed my inquiry Friday of last week. At least they are accepting responsibility for the disappointed customers. They didn't even try to offer some dingy credit like they normally would have. Hope this means they have realized PVC may not be such a good idea

Received my shipping label today also. I will take it to work with me tomorrow and send it out. I assume I am getting a full refund, the email didn't say.

I had this on flex, but I went ahead and asked sideshow to change it back to one payment, so I got a note that it's paid and shipped.
The weird thing is that the more I see of the pics, the more excited I am to get this.

If the look of the sculpt and the paintjob is truly like what some have said that is almost identical to a polystone but without the weight, I can live with it.
What I'm worried is that I have also read some comments that in hand, its like the equivalent of a painted plastic doll that you buy at toys r us...then I'm gonna have to return it.

But it's comforting to see some of the nice pictures here, and even the few negative videos I saw online, it still looked good other than its PVC...
So Im actually looking forward to get this.
I have a museum display case with led lighting, so I'll post some pics when I get it.

The pics with the hand showing lines and neck seam are what concerns me the most.

I had this on flex, but I went ahead and asked sideshow to change it back to one payment, so I got a note that it's paid and shipped.
The weird thing is that the more I see of the pics, the more excited I am to get this.

If the look of the sculpt and the paintjob is truly like what some have said that is almost identical to a polystone but without the weight, I can live with it.
What I'm worried is that I have also read some comments that in hand, its like the equivalent of a painted plastic doll that you buy at toys r us...then I'm gonna have to return it.

But it's comforting to see some of the nice pictures here, and even the few negative videos I saw online, it still looked good other than its PVC...
I have a museum display case with led lighting, so I'll post some pics when I get it.

Good show, Remy!

Here's what I will tell you, as the veteran PF collector that I assume you are (so this will not be news to you), and offer as advice to all of those for whom this may be their first piece. Any sculpture, no matter the material, amounts to not much other than a topography map of the human (in this case) face and body. The contours and relief are INVISIBLE if not lighted properly or at all.

Remy: Here's my prediction for you. Out of the box you will like it. You may not love it. Keep the faith. You'll recognize the sculpt as being a very close representation of the proto. You'll nod at the paint apps and think, not bad. You will LOVE the suit immediately! And here's the pay off... When you get it in that case, and you align those LEDs properly, the figure takes flight. You'll be able to pull off the kinds of shots you've been seeing on the boards this week effortlessly. After the third time you walk past your display case = Love. Write it down, it's all gonna happen...

This is how I look at non articulated pvc figures. Some of these I think had mixed media too. :lol

bd06d81ee4af5b5051a951f8c09d880a.jpg

Good show, Remy!

Here's what I will tell you, as the veteran PF collector that I assume you are (so this will not be news to you), and offer as advice to all of those for whom this may be their first piece. Any sculpture, no matter the material, amounts to not much other than a topography map of the human (in this case) face and body. The contours and relief are INVISIBLE if not lighted properly or at all.

Remy: Here's my prediction for you. Out of the box you will like it. You may not love it. Keep the faith. You'll recognize the sculpt as being a very close representation of the proto. You'll nod at the paint apps and think, not bad. You will LOVE the suit immediately! And here's the pay off... When you get it in that case, and you align those LEDs properly, the figure takes flight. You'll be able to pull off the kinds of shots you've been seeing on the boards this week effortlessly. After the third time you walk past your display case = Love. Write it down, it's all gonna happen...

Thanks man, that is reassuring. :)
And I really appreciate your pics cause when I had doubts, its one of the samples I needed to keep my PO.
I'm one of those people that spend a long long long time moving the figures to get the best lighting in the display case, and I do have a feeling this figure will shine in the display.

Hey guys,
you really made me concerned about this topic.
I am located in Germany and due don't have my figure yet.
I felt pushed from one corner into another by the comments I read here - so let me just display some of my thoughts and I would be glad, to see some comments.
(pro and cons)
> The prices of PF from Sideshow are increasing the last years (reason for that .. inflation ?? Because the material cost shall remain the same)
> Are the current "high" prices to be accepted for figures made from PVC ..... ?? Let me remind you of some older items
1st Boba Fett PF figure - - - Fully dressed by suit and with a PVC head and the body far too light to be Polystone. (Nevertheless - great work)
PF R2 and 3PO - - - both fully PVC and price far over USD 600,- (did anybody complain ?)
Hulk Maquette - - - Polystone but light, as the figure was hollow
> I am not sure if I don't care about the material or if I shall be angry on sideshow ... really
I think we came to a point where the quality not (always) justify the price anymore
But what is the reason to buy a figure ? Because we like the way they look and we can present and be happy of them.
For me, collecting is a heart matter and often means not thinking about the price. I like the way a figure looks, I want it, I buy it.
The other point is the head - do I concern if I know that I paid nearly 400 bugs for a plastic doll - yes I do, but what if I like the way it looks.
Even if it is light weight and I know that it is plastic. After all - I am not really sure where I stand

Hey guys,
I felt pushed from one corner into another by the comments I read here - so let me just display some of my thoughts and I would be glad, to see some comments.
> The prices of PF from Sideshow are increasing the last years (reason for that .. inflation ??!! Because the material cost shall remain the same)
> Are the current "high" prices to be accepted for figures made from PVC ..... ?? Let me remind you of some items
1st Boba Fett PF figure - - - Fully suit dressed with a PVC head and the body far too light to be Polystone.
R2 and 3PO - - - both fully PVC and price far over USD 600,- (did anybody complain ?)
Hulk Maquette - - - Polystone but light as the figure was hollow
> I am not sure if I don't care about the material or if I shall be angry on sideshow ...
I think we came to a point where the quality not justify the price anymore (not for all figures)
But what is the reason to buy a figure ? Because we like the way they look and we can present them.
For me collection is a heart matter and often not thinking of the price. I like the way it looks, want it, I buy it.
The other point is the head - do I concern if I know that I paid nearly 400 bugs for a plastic doll - yes I do, but what if I like the look.
Even if it is light weight and I know that it is plastic.

After all - I am not really sure were I stand
Is this post made of PVC?
Where can I get a refund?

Edit* jeez dude first post eh? Is this CBG?

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

Hey guys,
(pro and cons)
> The prices of PF from Sideshow are increasing the last years (reason for that .. inflation ?? Because the material cost shall remain the same)
> Are the current "high" prices to be accepted for figures made from PVC ..... ?? Let me remind you of some older items
1st Boba Fett PF figure - - - Fully dressed by suit and with a PVC head and the body far too light to be Polystone. (Nevertheless - great work)
PF R2 and 3PO - - - both fully PVC and price far over USD 600,- (did anybody complain ?)
Hulk Maquette - - - Polystone but light, as the figure was hollow
> I am not sure if I don't care about the material or if I shall be angry on sideshow ... really
I think we came to a point where the quality not (always) justify the price anymore
But what is the reason to buy a figure ? Because we like the way they look and we can present and be happy of them.
For me, collecting is a heart matter and often means not thinking about the price. I like the way a figure looks, I want it, I buy it.
The other point is the head - do I concern if I know that I paid nearly 400 bugs for a plastic doll - yes I do, but what if I like the way it looks.
Even if it is light weight and I know that it is plastic. After all - I am not really sure where I stand

Welcome Scobedoo!

The deal is this, no one can tell you how to feel about this piece or any other piece. As you mention, this hobby is all about what these pieces mean to you, which is always the answer to what are the worth to you. Each of us need to decide that for ourselves. The pain point for a lot of us is that in order to decide whether a piece is worth it to us, we need to know what we're getting up front. In the case of the MoS release, we were not permitted to weigh these things (pun fully intended) ahead of our orders.

I'm beginning to come around to the idea that SS went the way they did on this piece because they honestly felt that the PVC treatment gave them the best shot at producing the best presentation piece they could create. The metallic "skin" combined with the expertly tailored top layer really gives the suit a reflective look with Supe's musculature coming through so close to what we saw in the movie that it can be truly breath taking under the correct lighting conditions. Not sure I buy the idea that the use of the PVC made the piece more expensive to produce, but I don't think there can be much doubt that retooling the factory for a material change might have been less than convenient for the process.

But with all that said, I believe SS should have moved mountains and torn down barriers, and most importantly - had the courage - to let us know in advance what they were doing with this piece and why. The idea that they didn't know until the statue was shipping is fiction.

So bottom line, you'll have to decide for yourself. Since we've now dealt with all the debate and argued and re-argued our positions for you on this thread, the legwork is done (but you will have to take the time to actually go back and read through it). You have all the tools and information that we didn't have when we were receiving him. I think its a great piece. Given the materials used, I would have been happier if the price point were lower. But I've decided I can deal with it (although I'll be paying CLOSE attention to subsequent releases for materials used). So the question is, what do you think...

Welcome Scobedoo!

The deal is this, no one can tell you how to feel about this piece or any other piece. As you mention, this hobby is all about what these pieces mean to you, which is always the answer to what are the worth to you. Each of us need to decide that for ourselves. The pain point for a lot of us is that in order to decide whether a piece is worth it to us, we need to know what we're getting up front. In the case of the MoS release, we were not permitted to weigh these things (pun fully intended) ahead of our orders.

I'm beginning to come around to the idea that SS went the way they did on this piece because they honestly felt that the PVC treatment gave them the best shot at producing the best presentation piece they could create. The metallic "skin" combined with the expertly tailored top layer really gives the suit a reflective look with Supe's musculature coming through so close to what we saw in the movie that it can be truly breath taking under the correct lighting conditions. Not sure I buy the idea that the use of the PVC made the piece more expensive to produce, but I don't think there can be much doubt that retooling the factory for a material change might have been less than convenient for the process.

But with all that said, I believe SS should have moved mountains and torn down barriers, and most importantly - had the courage - to let us know in advance what they were doing with this piece and why. The idea that they didn't know until the statue was shipping is fiction.

So bottom line, you'll have to decide for yourself. Since we've now dealt with all the debate and argued and re-argued our positions for you on this thread, the legwork is done (but you will have to take the time to actually go back and read through it). You have all the tools and information that we didn't have when we were receiving him. I think its a great piece. Given the materials used, I would have been happier if the price point were lower. But I've decided I can deal with it (although I'll be paying CLOSE attention to subsequent releases for materials used). So the question is, what do you think...

Great post!

I disagree with this. You can hate the material the figure is made of all you want. But the suit on the proto is not better.

That's your opinion but sorry man I disagree, the proto looks better and more defined, the muscles are more noticeable through the suit and going by the reviews I have seen of this on you tube they have confirmed what I thought.

Look at all the bunching, creases and folds! Apparently Krypton doesn't have any tailors? If the production piece had all that, you guys would be ripping it apart on here. Never mind the too light in color plastic accents. The S is too high (there should be a small strip of suit between it and his neck), and like I said before, I don't care for the "glued to his abs" look of the proto suit, but that last part is just IMO :)

No offense but for you those details are big deals, but for me they are just nit picks IMO but I still think respect your opinion. Anyway, I would rather the statue have all those flaws you mentioned and have the muscles show through the suit like the proto. I am really disappointed that sideshow did this as this was a piece I was looking forward to getting because I love the colors on the suit but it just looks so cheap looking. Polystone statues have a real strong hard look to them and you can you tell just by looking at this figure that it is not polystone but a rubber figure.

As usual, I think it all depends on the lighting and the angle.

I thought it was the lighting at first to until I saw this review on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqyInvn_9eM

They mention the the lack of definition of the abs at 6:36

Take a look at this shot of the proto taken on at the same event, and possibly even the same day as the pics quote above:

sm2.png

Compare this to these shots of the production piece:

ROwf1g.jpg

15489443427_e62c3f06dd_c.jpg

15488772379_f0139a1d86_c.jpg

The Abs (although blurred a bit due to the white flash) look more pronounced and everyone of them is noticeable and thus are showing through the suit more than the other pics you showed of the final product. Once again I have not seen one pic of the final product that looks as defined with muscles showing through the suit like the proto.

Also, I wouldn't have any trouble at all believing that the way the suit bunched up around the abs and the legs was the motivating reason why they might have begun exploring other materials for the body. I think the designers (whether you happen to agree with them or not) really wanted as smooth a presentation as possible for the suit. I think that bunching (that some of us like) actually put off the decision makers at SS.

I think smooth is the wrong word, since I am pretty sure they wanted the muscles to show through the suit but I assume they were trying to iron out the kinks so to speak so the suit wouldn't be wrinkly or saggy or bunch up in places like it has on the proto.

Further evidence of this might be, noting the differences in the first set of proto shots vs. the shot of the proto I led this posing off with, that the SS handlers were futzing the suit now and then to do away with the bunching and wrinkles. That might be why one proto shot has them and the other doesn't. More possible evidence that that look is what SS was trying to avoid…

I doubt it, as the suit looks really tight on the proto so I think the reason why the muscles do not show through the suit like the polystone proto is because the body is PVC and thus, the costume doesn't hug the body as strong as it would on a polystone body because PVC is more malleable, whereas polystone is hard and if the suit was tailored right (unlike the saggy Batman PF) the muscles would show through more. Another possibility could be that the PVC body lost a lot of muscle detail from the polystone proto. :dunno

This is how I look at non articulated pvc figures. Some of these I think had mixed media too. :lol

bd06d81ee4af5b5051a951f8c09d880a.jpg

:goodpost:

Now I recall in one of my post that these figures is what this PF reminded me of.

Last edited:
Back