Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Chris Reeve statue states PVC also.

did it say that before today? or whenever they made the change? If that really is the way it is, and they only added the note of it being PVC after it came out and ppl complained, thats messed up. Idk why a company needs to behave like this, especially one as large and as successful as SS. Is it really just about the numbers like that? Seems on the surface to be very dishonest…unfortunate for those who ordered this.

I guess I should have called instead of emailing.:slap

I encourage everyone who has a problem, to call them and talk to them one on one. Its much easier for them to let you down over email with a script, than it is when youre on the phone with them. Its also quicker to resolve the issue.

did it say that before today? or whenever they made the change? If that really is the way it is, and they only added the note of it being PVC after it came out and ppl complained, thats messed up. Idk why a company needs to behave like this, especially one as large and as successful as SS. Is it really just about the numbers like that? Seems on the surface to be very dishonest…unfortunate for those who ordered this.

Poor marketing strategy. :lecture

The change to the product description came after this was released and people were complaining.

It's because they want to make the biggest profits they possibly can and if that means switching to a lesser expensive material or making statues hollow (which also reduces cost) then they will do this. However, I am sure they will realize their is a point they can't go beyond because even a lot of their loyal followers will not tolerate changes, like as in this case going from Polystone to PVC. The bottom line is if they get too many returns and and not enough sales, they will have to realize that they can't do what they like in order to maximize their profits because they will eventually end up losing their target audience.

Anyway regarding this statue,

People are saying it looks just like the polystone PF, but I have not seen one picture where the suit looks as nice as this.

Unlike the final product, which just looks like a rubber figure wearing a suit, the suit here looks like it has been sculpted on, like most polystone MM statues do.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that it's a non-controversy. There are people who like it and people who don't. I hate mine, and think it looks like ****. I'm sure there are others who feel the same. I could care less about the weight. This statue is no where near the quality of the other Superman PF , and it only $20 cheaper. I preordered this day one and I am hoping Sideshow will give me a refund.

My biggest gripe is charging the same price for infurior materials. Yes, how it looks on the shelf is the main thing, but if it's not really a premium product (I don't equate plastic statues as premium grade, just collectible) then I can't make the leap to the price point they are charging. The manner in which they have handled it has also gutted my confidence in buying, and I am hitting the brakes on new orders as a result.

Sorry Dave there are a lot of guys on FB and elsewhere who are terrible upset with the fact that SSC didn't inform them of the switch. As SSC has stated 99% of their statues are polystone, and I personally believe that if they are going to deviate from that they should inform the customers first, and give them a chance to get a refund before the piece ships out. This is very much a bait and switch when you look at what was expected and what was delivered in terms of materials.

Agreed. I am pretty certain if it was not for the outrage, we would have no update to the CR Superman materials. Now, maybe they will decide not to go this route on other pieces as a result as well. But I think it would be a good idea to keep a close eye for updates as products get closer to shipping, as someone from SS stated they were not aware of the materials used on this until late in the game/near shipping...

All that said, this is a piece I wouldn't mind owning down the road if it can be had for less than retail. Suite looks way better than the HT version (I can't stand the lighter blue they used on theirs).

as someone from SS stated they were not aware of the materials used on this until late in the game/near shipping...
This kind of puzzles me. Does he mean that the factory has the power to change the material or the someone from SS who told the factory to change it has no obligation to report back to Igo ? Who has the power to make that decision, SS or the factory?

Unlike the final product, which just looks like a rubber figure wearing a suit, the suit here looks like it has been sculpted on, like most polystone MM statues do.

I disagree with this. You can hate the material the figure is made of all you want. But the suit on the proto is not better. Look at all the bunching, creases and folds! Apparently Krypton doesn't have any tailors? If the production piece had all that, you guys would be ripping it apart on here. Never mind the too light in color plastic accents. The S is too high (there should be a small strip of suit between it and his neck), and like I said before, I don't care for the "glued to his abs" look of the proto suit, but that last part is just IMO :)

This kind of puzzles me. Does he mean that the factory has the power to change the material or the someone from SS who told the factory to change it has no obligation to report back to Igo ? Who has the power to make that decision, SS or the factory?

Oh I am sure the upper management knew and approved of the change, they just never communicated that to the CS staff. That sort of thing happens all the time and the front line folks are the ones to take the brunt of customer abuse with no advanced warning.

I'm just saying you have guys pestering SS everyday on what order contains what % of polymer xyz, when they will probably find out after we do.

I disagree with this. You can hate the material the figure is made of all you want. But the suit on the proto is not better. Look at all the bunching, creases and folds! Apparently Krypton doesn't have any tailors? If the production piece had all that, you guys would be ripping it apart on here. Never mind the too light in color plastic accents. The S is too high (there should be a small strip of suit between it and his neck), and like I said before, I don't care for the "glued to his abs" look of the proto suit, but that last part is just IMO :)
But I thought that was great. If not why all the full sculpted statues are simulating those creases and folds you said?

Many have said the wire was kinda weak to pose the cape with some fancy wave. So I'm curious to see if someone could replace the wires with the thick and strong ones that can lift the cape?

But I thought that was great. If not why all the full sculpted statues are simulating those creases and folds you said?

Many have said the wire was kinda weak to pose the cape with some fancy wave. So I'm curious to see if someone could replace the wires with the thick and strong ones that can lift the cape?

Then I guess this is why some statues appeal to some people, while others do not. IMO the folds on the proto's crotch and the molded creases, of, say, Deadpool PF crotch area, do not look the same. I personally wouldn't have been happy if my production piece had them.

The cape takes some work. If you want it sticking straight up, forget it. But you can get some neat shapes if you work with it for a bit... I'm pretty happy with mine right now. Also, in this pic you can see the abs... I think it's just the right amount showing through the suit.

15680193645_9b8b1aca42_b.jpg

Recieved a return label today from SS. Filed my inquiry Friday of last week. At least they are accepting responsibility for the disappointed customers. They didn't even try to offer some dingy credit like they normally would have. Hope this means they have realized PVC may not be such a good idea

Anyway regarding this statue,

People are saying it looks just like the polystone PF, but I have not seen one picture where the suit looks as nice as this.

As usual, I think it all depends on the lighting and the angle. Take a look at this shot of the proto taken on at the same event, and possibly even the same day as the pics quote above:

sm2.png

Compare this to these shots of the production piece:

ROwf1g.jpg

15489443427_e62c3f06dd_c.jpg

15488772379_f0139a1d86_c.jpg

Also, I wouldn't have any trouble at all believing that the way the suit bunched up around the abs and the legs was the motivating reason why they might have begun exploring other materials for the body. I think the designers (whether you happen to agree with them or not) really wanted as smooth a presentation as possible for the suit. I think that bunching (that some of us like) actually put off the decision makers at SS.

Further evidence of this might be, noting the differences in the first set of proto shots vs. the shot of the proto I led this posing off with, that the SS handlers were futzing the suit now and then to do away with the bunching and wrinkles. That might be why one proto shot has them and the other doesn't. More possible evidence that that look is what SS was trying to avoid…

Also, I wouldn't have any trouble at all believing that the way the suit bunched up around the abs and the legs was the motivating reason why they might have begun exploring other materials for the body.

QGF, I think your photos really do highlight how outstanding the suit on this piece really is, and the accuracy of the sculpt as well. Nice job.

Another interesting and curious fact (I posted this over on SF), is that the underlying PVC is coated in highly reflective silver (slide up the left sleeve to see a bit of it). This allows the elasticity of the suit to stretch and light to bounce off the underlying surface to give the "metallic" look seen in the movie. It is my suggestion that this is the likely reason for the use of PVC -- that is, to get the reflective look -- and NOT because the suit material draped differently on polystone. There is absolutely no reason (nor evidence) that this suit wouldn't have draped exactly the same on the polystone sculpt. Although, I guess we have to take SS's word for it.

QGF, I think your photos really do highlight how outstanding the suit on this piece really is, and the accuracy of the sculpt as well. Nice job.

Another interesting and curious fact (I posted this over on SF), is that the underlying PVC is coated in highly reflective silver (slide up the left sleeve to see a bit of it). This allows the elasticity of the suit to stretch and light to bounce off the underlying surface to give the "metallic" look seen in the movie. It is my suggestion that this is the likely reason for the use of PVC -- that is, to get the reflective look -- and NOT because the suit material draped differently on polystone. There is absolutely no reason (nor evidence) that this suit wouldn't have draped exactly the same on the polystone sculpt. Although, I guess we have to take SS's word for it.

Could also be that the polished silver finish on the PVC solved, or at least aided both issues - providing the metallic look, and also allowing the highly tactile material of the suit to slide into the proper position without getting stuck on the more porous and chalk like polystone...Just food for thought.

Could also be that the polished silver finish on the PVC solved, or at least aided both issues - providing the metallic look, and also allowing the highly tactile material of the suit to slide into the proper position without getting stuck on the more porous and chalk like polystone...Just food for thought.

Indeed. Good point.

No, cause the Christopher reeve Pf is also PVC now and that doesn't have silver paint.

You're getting a lot of misinformation here. Here are some facts:
Sideshow has made Premium Format figures from PVC before.
The body is PVC, the base is polystone.
According to SSC this is done because the PVC looks better under a fully cloth costume.
PVC is a cheaper material than Polystone.
Making a large run of statues out of PVC is much, much more expensive than making a large run of statues out of Polystone due to the what kinds of molds must be used. Thus this decision was not a cost saving one for SSC.
It was not stated at pre-order that this item would be made out of PVC. It was also not stated at pre-order that this piece would be made of polystone. Granted, that most SSC PFs are polystone it may be considered misleading to not have included this information earlier.
The Christopher Reeve PF, which also has a fully cloth costume, will likely be made the same way. This information appeared on the website soon after this piece started shipping.
SSC has stated that this is not a change in policy but using the right materials for the right uses. Most PFs will continue to be polystone.

You're getting a lot of misinformation here. Here are some facts:
Sideshow has made Premium Format figures from PVC before.
The body is PVC, the base is polystone.
According to SSC this is done because the PVC looks better under a fully cloth costume.
PVC is a cheaper material than Polystone.
Making a large run of statues out of PVC is much, much more expensive than making a large run of statues out of Polystone due to the what kinds of molds must be used. Thus this decision was not a cost saving one for SSC.
It was not stated at pre-order that this item would be made out of PVC. It was also not stated at pre-order that this piece would be made of polystone. Granted, that most SSC PFs are polystone it may be considered misleading to not have included this information earlier.
The Christopher Reeve PF, which also has a fully cloth costume, will likely be made the same way. This information appeared on the website soon after this piece started shipping.
SSC has stated that this is not a change in policy but using the right materials for the right uses. Most PFs will continue to be polystone.

Really not funny! If PVC is cheaper so please explain to me why the prices are increasing? Did anyone see the new price tag? 480$ for Iron Man! All these explanations aren't true and honest!

Back