Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowering the belt would def do the trick bt that's gonna be almost impossible without damaging the suit I believe. Bt if we an did a way that would be awesome....matte spray on head....futz cape around neck and shoulders = WIN

568image.jpg

That pic of the prototype is taken on a different angle to the picture in the final product, thus it isn't a very good comparison pic to compare to the final product. The image below of the prototype is roughly on the same angle to the one in the final product picture.

Apart from the paint job the head sculpt looks the same to me but the picture of the final product has shadows over the left side of the sculpt and is the lighting is darker than lighting in the picture of the prototype. Thus, we need clearer shots of the statue taken on the same angle if we want to get a better idea if the sculpt has changed.

But we don't need to have an exact match of the angle (lighting/equipment/aperture/contrast filter/white balance/etc.) to draw a few opinions and even some (bold) conclusions.

Opinion 1. As always, the paint apps on the production piece are nowhere close to the league of the prototype, no surprises. But the latest photos show that the production apps are not SO bad that they degrade the piece any more than the usual proto -> production transition.

Conclusion 1. Same sculpt. Give or take the standard anomalies that can happen when the original mold is replicated for the factory, this is the same Trevor Grove head sculpt unveiled at SDCC 2013. The DLD shots, despite the angle issues, show that. I think that as we see a few more in-hand pics from members any remaining question will fade when a variety of lighting types are available for examination

Opinion 2. This is a Hell of a nice piece! The costume is just fantastic, the pose really works well for this incarnation of Supes (SO much better than the same pose on the Reeve PF). And with the bonus of getting our hands around the cape posing, this is going to be a center-piece of our PF collections.

Keep those pics coming, Gents and Ladies! The more the better!

Last edited:
Either it's the sculpt or the paint (not sure going on photos alone) but the eye prows on the proto seem even where as on the production piece his left eye brow seems to be raised.

Once again, I'd blame the paint for this (eyebrow).

And for those of you with concerns about the production head being too narrow, I assure you it's the same dimensions and the same sculpt as the proto.

I'm as guilty as anyone of posting that incredible SDCC shot over and over because it shows the awsome skill of Trevor and the SS paint masters (see DarkAvatar's left hand compare shot above), but catch the proto from a few alternate angles and you have even move conclusive evidence that the sculpt itself has not changed for production. It's just an absolutely superior paint job on the proto.

c83image.jpg

7b4image.jpg

33image.jpg

56image.jpg

Last edited:
Opinion 1. As always, the paint apps on the production piece are nowhere close to the league of the prototype, no surprises. But the latest photos show that the production apps are not SO bad that they degrade the piece any more than the usual proto -> production transition.

Conclusion 1. Same sculpt. Give or take the standard anomalies that can happen when the original mold is replicated for the factory, this is the same Trevor Grove head sculpt unveiled at SDCC 2013. The DLD shots, despite the angle issues, show that. I think that as we see a few more in-hand pics from members any remaining question will fade when a variety of lighting types are available for examination

Opinion 2. This is a Hell of a nice piece! The costume is just fantastic, the pose really works well for this incarnation of Supes (SO much better than the same pose on the Reeve PF). And with the bonus of getting our hands around the cape posing, this is going to be a center-piece of our PF collections.

I think you've put to rest a lot of the major concerns that have been floating around this forum since SDGuy posted the first photos on Friday. We can be nit picky with certain costume issues (i.e. belt level & neck collar), and skepticism regarding certain other aspects -- which, don't get me wrong, as collectors we ARE entitled to -- but the major conclusion, and to your opinion #2, this DOES look like an amazing piece. I'm very excited to see more pics, videos, and ultimately in-hand... Sometime in the next few weeks... tick, tick, tick.

Is it the images, or did Sideshow like Hot Toys go with a standard black for some of the details on the costume like the collar, cuffs, and side piping?

Back