Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpts seem to be fine on all their latest statues (IE: T-800, Red Sonja, MOS) but it's the paint apps that fail IMO.... so then it becomes a question if the statue is worth spending another $150+ on to have the face repainted in order to get the prototype look.

Expect to pay a lot more than $150, I think it would be at least $250, since most professional painters charge $150 + to repaint 1/6th sculpts. So imagine the price they would charge for a 1/4 sculpt to be repainted! :horror

BTW, the work that guy did on ScarJo is sick....

Yeah with a paint job like that there is no doubt now that the PF sculpt is ScarJo.

The costume came out great. Prefer HT headsculpt though.

I think most people do, but there is still something off about that one IMO. I think they went overboard with the squinting frown look, which threw off the likeness a bit IMO.

I got mine in. Just a couple points:

1. I know it's minor, but there was no QC sticker on the styrofoam and no Sideshow logo to indicate the top or bottom of the styrofoam. Opened up mine upside down.
2. He's EXTREMELY light. I was actually shocked that it was that light. It's probably as heavy, if not lighter, than the J Scott Campbell Gwen Stacy statue
3. Tissue paper was stuck to the suit. I thought it damaged it but all the markings came off with a bit of water. My base has a few paint imperfections and scratches, not sure if this was intentional
4. I had a hard time lining up the the statue into the slots. I felt like I was going to break it, didn't look like they lined up at all at first.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Sculpt looks bang on in my opinion, and the suit doesn't feel cheap and doesn't look like pyjamas.

Oh that really sucks! :gah:

I think it's almost a form of False advertising when we place our order based on the
Prototype Pics. Then Sideshow ships something that looks nothing like it. Head painted wrong.
Suit painted wrong and left hand wrong. I understand prototypes can differ from the Final version,
but should it be this much.

You are obviously new to Sideshow, making their products look totally different is their calling card. :lol
Nevertheless, I think it is the bright lighting from the flash that is making the suit look more blue in that pic than it does in hand.

I really don't think the argument holds. Based on the pic attached below, I'd say this is a success story for proto to production. Are there annoyances? No question. But are they more in number or severity compared to other examples? I really don't think so.

56image.jpg

It might be a fair suggestion, however, to approach Sideshow with the idea that maybe instead of producing a proto with paint apps that are clearly going to be untouchable at the factory, perhaps produce a paint master that is more realistic in terms of what will be delivered. After hundreds of PFs released by the company to date, surely they have a decent idea of what to expect...

:goodpost:

In those pics the suit looks practically the same dark color and not bright blue like it does in others. So the suit color differences are most likely die to lighting.

Man the suit is really really well done and pretty accurate in texture/color...

Thanks man :hi5: that really means alot :) PFs are always fun to repaint so I can't wait for this :)

No worries man I have to give credit where credit is due! ;)

And like I said I can't wait to see your repaint as the skin tone appears to be yellow in some pics.

Suits don't look the same as all the trim was done with the same color as the main suit so it just blends in making the suit look very simple and plain looking.... It's not the worst statue SS has ever done, but I do think there's a bit of bait and switch even with their small print on the web site saying it can look different.

I think they should just create the cast of the statue here and then ship it to their factory in China and have them paint the prototype and then take pictures of that, at least then you would know exactly what your getting for your money.

Yup. SDCC should have the factory stuff. Buyers can't complain anymore then. But then SS will probably lose many PO as well.

Expect to pay a lot more than $150, I think it would be at least $250, since most professional painters charge $150 + to repaint 1/6th sculpts. So imagine the price they would charge for a 1/4 sculpt to be repainted! :horror

Number one: DON'T GIVE THEM AN MSRP TO SHOOT AT!! :lol I'm sure some of our great artists here would do it just for love of craft (and for our family of Forum members here) :)

Number two: I'd have to say $150 in addition to the $400 already paid has to but awfully close to my absolute upper limit for something like this. No one wants our artists to price themselves right out of the market

Number one: DON'T GIVE THEM AN MSRP TO SHOOT AT!! :lol I'm sure some of our great artists here would do it just for love of craft (and for our family of Forum members here) :)

Ok fair enough! :lol

Number two: I'd have to say $150 in addition to the $400 already paid has to but awfully close to my absolute upper limit for something like this. No one wants our artists to price themselves right out of the market

Yeah but like I said before I doubt any professional painter would charge so little to repaint it. I know you don't want me to mention a price but a repaint would probably cost nearly as much as the statue itself.

Okay one thing is the suit cloth ? or sculpted and some one mentioned the statue is nothing but plastic ?

Okay I have spoken to William at SSC . He has confirmed that this statue is made of high quality PVC due to the Suit being made of cloth . When they made it out of poly stone the suit did not sit well on the body this is why it was made out of PVC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$400 for a plastic figure.

I really don't know how I feel about that. The next question would be solid pvc or hollow? $400 for a shampoo bottle is a bit of a joke.

Hmmmm....This could cause a revolt. Particularly since as far as any of us seem to know, this was never disclosed. Its understood that PFs are polystone. A departure this radical needs to have been reported. The substantial 'feel' of these PFs is one of the qualities that makes it a PF in my view. The shampoo bottle analogy is on the money. And if the cape is really not as posable as we've been promised, we may be done here...

You might want to duck, Sideshow...

Last edited:
I think those who've paid deserve an explanation regarding the reasons, manufacturing process, the material properties etc.

How light resistant is it. Pvc becomes brittle after years of uv exposure? Are the paint apps made on a neutral figure or did it start as flesh coloured pvc? Is this the reason it looks so shiny under flash lighting? If these were 'injection moulded' did it reduce manufacturing costs? If so why weren't savings passed on to the consumer?

I expected and paid for a premium format polystone statue. This has made me reconsider buying sideshow stuff in the future now.

Wow these new facts have me worried too. This is not what we have paid for at all even tho I do not have mine in hand yet.

The figure is very light for sure, and I was able to move the legs to fit in the base, I believe the hands and face is polystone, just the body is PVC, it still looks very premium to me, and i enjoy it very much, when you hold it with the heavy base it evens out in weight. I think you guys are overblowing it,

The figure is very light for sure, and I was able to move the legs to fit in the base, I believe the hands and face is polystone, just the body is PVC, it still looks very premium to me, and i enjoy it very much, when you hold it with the heavy base it evens out in weight. I think you guys are overblowing it,

Have you taken any shots of the statue if so please send them to me in a message .

maybe they are trying to clamp down on people who customise,,, u cant customise dolls LOl

Back