Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, unfortunately that's the same proto we've been staring at for a year and a half. Just haven't posted that shot in a while.

Threads are worthless without pictures!

Here is the production piece:

97fimage.jpg

What's the difference between Protoypes and Production models, and why would there be?

Prototypes are the statues that are made by the masters at SSC in California. They have the best painters and costumers working on them. They make two prototype level designs, and then they send 1 over to china, along with the molds, and then the Chinesse factory workers have to try and replicate it. The problem usually is the paint apps and that is partially because the masters at SSC use completely different paints (including water color) than the factories do, not to mention the fact that the SSC masters are highly paid artist who get paid well for what they do, and who have a long time to get the work done, and the factory workers are underpaid and overworked. So sometimes the production and the protos can look very very different when it comes to quality.

Here are some example of it not working out

However, there are other times where they get it damn close to perfect like Skarr, Gladiator Hulk, Superman,MJ, Gwen, and Punisher where they get the production pieces almost dead on with the prototypes. It appears to be a real crap shoot sometimes.

Prototypes are the statues that are made by the masters at SSC in California. They have the best painters and costumers working on them. They make two prototype level designs, and then they send 1 over to china, along with the molds, and then the Chinesse factory workers have to try and replicate it. The problem usually is the paint apps and that is partially because the masters at SSC use completely different paints (including water color) than the factories do, not to mention the fact that the SSC masters are highly paid artist who get paid well for what they do, and who have a long time to get the work done, and the factory workers are underpaid and overworked. So sometimes the production and the protos can look very very different when it comes to quality.

However, there are other times where they get it damn close to perfect like Skarr, Gladiator Hulk, Superman,MJ, Gwen, and Punisher where they get the production pieces almost dead on with the prototypes. It appears to be a real crap shoot sometimes.

Maybe it depends on the factory they use as well, I know that SS can move factories if the production piece is not up to their standards.

Maybe it depends on the factory they use as well, I know that SS can move factories if the production piece is not up to their standards.

Not to derail the thread but the factory that produces the piece definetly has an impact. The Gladiator Hulk PF, which is one of SSCs most recent big hit when it comes to QC(at least as far as I can tell) is being produced in the same factory as XMs pieces which as far as I can tell has had 1 QC issue out of 1000 statues, and that one was sent out by mistake. So yeah the factory has a lot to do with it. Personally I think the factories that made the JSC Spidey, Apocalypse, and Spiderwoman should be burned to the ground.

Not to derail the thread but the factory that produces the piece definetly has an impact. The Gladiator Hulk PF, which is one of SSCs most recent big hit when it comes to QC(at least as far as I can tell) is being produced in the same factory as XMs pieces which as far as I can tell has had 1 QC issue out of 1000 statues, and that one was sent out by mistake. So yeah the factory has a lot to do with it. Personally I think the factories that made the JSC Spidey, Apocalypse, and Spiderwoman should be burned to the ground.

Superman was also made in that very same factory... so yeah Spidey. Your dead on with your assessment here. Where the prototype is sent and then mass produced makes a significant difference in the final product

Back