Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I can join my kid play flying MOS with him. Mine is 1:4, his is 1:6. Daddy win :yess:

Just a quick poll to ask the forum if anybody has reached out to SS and received any reasonable response on how they're going to deal with the issues with the MOS PF (i.e. neck not flush, seam lines, PVC, cape wires, paint apps, etc.)?

Regarding the material switch, the responses from Igo and AlexSS and SS Customer service appear to be quite divergent: In one statement they state that they have the right to choose whatever material they wish to achieve the desired look, and the next statement the suggest that they had no knowledge of the PVC switch, and are as shocked as the collectors (The Mule has attempted to get a response over on SF on that issue). Moreover, the PVC fiasco has undoubtably resulted in numerous cancellations of not only the MOS, but also the Reeve PF as it is composed - at least in part - from PVC, although we have no firm evidence to suggest which part. This has got to be a huge PR nightmare for them, and would hope they'd be willing to do something to make this right with the community. I'm not suggesting a replacement with polystone (although it would be nice), but a rebate or something? Maybe I'm naive...
The only response I got was if I wasn't happy I could refuse delivery into the UK at customs for a full refund. I was too late to do so but after getting it I'm glad I didn't.

A rebate would be nice. They could send me a Reeve Pf as an apology, it seems there might be a few returns they may need to shift...

My Review for the Big Blue! I apologize if its a little long. :)

Pros:

*** The Suit...its AMAZING!!! It really looks like the same suit that was used in the movie. The color, along with the silver reflective surface underneath captures the suit worn by Cavill. Best thing about this PF!!! :clap

*** The likeness...Its not bad. The bad thing here is that of course, it will be compared to Hot Toys sculpt, and the HT version happens to be one of the best sculpts by Hot Toys. HT nailed the likeness down. Sideshow's...you can tell its Henry Cavill, but the likeness is just not strong.

*** The eyes...I cant tell if its a separate piece or if its painted. It almost looks like the whole eyes...from the white part to the Iris is separate, kinda like PERS, but much better implemented. It may be painted, but its really done well.

*** Cape...much better than I thought. I really like the material. Although the wires are not as strong, you can definitely pull off dynamic flow of the cape.
The thing about wired capes is that you have to have lots and lots of patience.
On my Tony Meis' EB wired cape, I swear I spent at least two hours futzing with it...but after I was finished, I was happy.
Contratry to what most people wanted to do, I personally prefer it to just drape down looking more natural.
Also the color is nice. I was worried cause some of the pics I've seen, they look a little bright. They are dark enough in hand.

*** The "S" Shield...well well done. This is one of the mods I wanted to do on my HT MOS but skipped, cause the few that tried it did not succeed in giving it that reflective look. There's several scenes in the movie that the shield was highly reflective, almost like its metallic.
Sideshow was able to replicate this. Looks really sweet when its hit by LED lighting.

*** Paint...after having owned several PFs, and seeing other PF on this forum, this is one of the best PF human paintjob. Of course, it doesnt compare to Enterbay or Hot Toys, but to compare it to other PFs, the paintjob is a really good.

and now...for the eventual opinion on PVC.
There's a good and a bad.
Let's start with the good. Because SS used the same paint method, and the way it is painted on PVC, I honestly couldnt tell if it was PVC or polystone.
I put it side by side next to my Captain America TFA PF, and they looked identical. So if I had no idea and see it on display, unless I was told it was PVC, I could have easily assumed it was also Polystone.

Since this is the same rubbery look material that Hot Toys uses, which evidently mimics skin to a certain level, I think you would be able to tell that this was PVC and not polystone if u compared it to the prototype only if the paint job was as good as the paint job on Hot Toys one. In this case I think the use of PVC for the head sculpt is an advantage for those who want a more realistic look like Hot Toys sculpts have as polystone can not achieve that realistic look regardless, of how well it is painted.

Now the bad...I am in Agreement here with DarkAvatar, I think what eventually got lost in translation by switching to PVC is the Physique losts some of its definition.
For those who dont know, eventhough Henry Cavill was ripped and huge in the movie, he still had to wear a muscle suit. They said no matter how muscular the person is, when they wear those costume, they lose a lot of detail. So to compensate, they actor puts a muscle suit, then the costume on top of it.
I think polystone has an element to it that replicates this technique.
When you look at all the muscular PF's with cloth, the figure's physique is just outstanding.
This is one of Sideshow's strengths. Their muscular PF's physique looks so natural. You can tell that their sculptors have studied anatomy.

Not only that but the clothes look like they have been sculpted on there. Now that we know that this is not only PVC but hollow PVC, there is no way they could of replicated the look of the polystone proto because the surface is just probably too soft to show definition through the suit. That being said, the lack of muscle definition was the same problem with the Batman PF and that was polystone but the suit obviously was not tailored correctly to that statue, whereas this one is.

First off...this is just my opinion and by no means, claiming its fact. But from my observation, I think way the polystone behave, when you put a cloth on top of it, the cloth sticks to every crevice, the cloth hugs its stone-like texture well, that you see all the contours of the physique.
It gives it a real natural look. Much like the muscle suit.
That's why the proto looked ripped, and the whole body itself looked more natural.
I think when they switched to PVC, maybe because of its smooth plastic surface, the suit doesnt stick to the body, the suit is tight, but the cloth doesnt stick to the little crevices, that's why you lost a lot of the abs definition in comparison to the proto. Not just the abs, but the body doesnt look as natural as the proto.
When you look at the proto, it was typical Sideshow phisique masterpiece, the body looked very natural.
So, with the pvc, its kinda looks like Henry wearing the suit without the muscle suit underneath. You can tell the body is muscular, but its not as defined as the proto.
The lighting helps a lot...but still, when you look at it...the physique is just not as natural looking as most PFs, like the comic superman for the example.

Now, the body still looks good, and with all the positives this figure has, it definitely outweighs the bad.
The figure does not look cheap at all because its PVC.
That was one of my main worries, that since its now pvc, when you look at it, its now in comparison to the other PVC figures.
No, not at all, it still looks high quality.
So, overall, I'm happy with it. I personally think its a great looking figure.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected, such a shame. :thud:

BTW nice pics Fernando. :clap

Just a quick poll to ask the forum if anybody has reached out to SS and received any reasonable response on how they're going to deal with the issues with the MOS PF (i.e. neck not flush, seam lines, PVC, cape wires, paint apps, etc.)?

Regarding the material switch, the responses from Igo and AlexSS and SS Customer service appear to be quite divergent: In one statement they state that they have the right to choose whatever material they wish to achieve the desired look, and the next statement the suggest that they had no knowledge of the PVC switch, and are as shocked as the collectors (The Mule has attempted to get a response over on SF on that issue). Moreover, the PVC fiasco has undoubtably resulted in numerous cancellations of not only the MOS, but also the Reeve PF as it is composed - at least in part - from PVC, although we have no firm evidence to suggest which part. This has got to be a huge PR nightmare for them, and would hope they'd be willing to do something to make this right with the community.

Good, I am glad this is a nightmare for them, they destroyed my dreams of owning a great looking MOS statue, so I hope they suffer because of this. I think Sideshow now realizes they crossed the line, I hope they make a huge loss, I am really pissed off about the look of this product. The only thing good about it is the suit, which evidently is the main reason I wanted this in the first place. Nevertheless, despite being a doll collector, I still wanted it to look like a statue where the suit look like it was sculpted on there and not a plastic doll just wearing a suit.:mad:

I'm not suggesting a replacement with polystone (although it would be nice), but a rebate or something? Maybe I'm naive...

If they did that would be perfect. :pray:

Last edited:
DA, you really owe it to yourself to hunt this guy down at maybe your LCS or perhaps the house of a fellow collector even if you have no intention of picking up the piece for yourself. You are occasionally (not always) taking something you believe to be true based on these second hand accounts and running with it for a paragraph's worth of notes when the underlying observation is incorrect.

The PVC is not "rubbery" and bears no resemblance to the Hot Toys head sculpt treatment at all. What it resembles is polystone... Honest and for true. This is why it #1 looks perfectly at home next to other polystone PFs on the shelf, and #2, the material in no way lends itself to the Hot Toys-esque skin treatment. If you had this piece repainted by the Hot Toys paint master, it would resemble the SS prototype, not a HT 1/6 figure.

As for the muscleature issue, like you, I think I prefer the treatment that the polystone proto showed because a lot of times with these PFs, I'm perfectly happy with a more idealized sculpt. That's one of the reasons I always loved the prototype head sculpt/paint apps because while you can argue that it's not 100% Cavill, I always found it a superb representation of iconic Supes mixed in with an undeniable Cavill likeness. BUT... I also think it is undeniable that the silver reflection through the custom tailored suit of the production PF showing a more subtle but still well defined physique is FAR more screen accurate that how the proto presented.

And I think the bottom line here is that on this piece SS went all out on the suit presentation with screen accuracy as their Holy Grail, and all other considerations be d@mned. I really think this is what led them to the PVC because it solved EVERY LAST ONE of their perceived "problems" with the proto. I think they gambled that collectors would love the suit SO much that polystone envy would eventually take a back seat. We're still in the stage two (anger) of the 12 step process in dealing with that as a dissatisfier at the moment. Despite all of the energy around this right now, the final result of SS's gamble remains to be seen.

But here's hoping that even if PVC 1/4 scale figures becomes a staple at SS, they never try to pass one off as a Premium Format piece, along with the Premium price, again...

Last edited:
Hey Guys! Im hearing a lot of collectors who bought this piece.. calling others to join in -- in returning this statue. whats your take on this? and what will happen if we do?

Let's all jump off a cliff...

lemmingsfalling.jpg

Nothing. This "issue" is blown out of proportion by a vocal miniscule minority.

If you mean here on these forum boards as miniscule minority? Then yes you are correct. However; There's a large vocal majority via social media that overwhelms the few here.

Back