Sideshow statues maintenance

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarbinis

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I wanted to ask if anybody here who owned sideshow polystone statues, if they are damaged by smoke, sunlight, and dust a lot over time. What is the best way to protect them? Glass cabinet?
Have anyone's statues been damaged over time?

thanks,
John

Good question, I just got my 1st PF 89 Batman. Not too sure on how to maintain. I typically dust my collectibles often and keep them out of the sunlight and in a cool room temperature, my man cave.

Over time, direct sunlight is death, at least for the paint job, it will totally fade out all colours and mostly end up looking nothing like it once did.

Smoke would be really bad for the PF's, as it would start to get into the cloth and hence end up always smelling like smoke. Maybe not as bad for pure polystone, but still.

Dust isn't the best for any of it, it's not the actual dust, it's the oil in the dust (a lot of dust is in fact dead skin), so over time, the oil will react with the paint as well, and start to fade them.

So yes, behind glass is good (locked glass is even better, stops, pets, little figures or even mates, grabbing and breaking stuff), and even dusting is still a good idea once in a while. If not behind glass, then dusting often is a must.

Temperature or more the point humidity can had a impact on PF's more then anything. You can get mold on the cloth, so it will discolour and may even start to break down. Less of an issue with pure polystone, but even so, you don't want to cook or freeze them.

Thanks for that guys. Theguru1, what do you mean by direct sunlight? Do you mean having them next to the window where the sun sees them directly every morning for hours? Would I have the same problem with led lights above each one of them?

I was actually thinking of ordering a glass door for my shelves and ordering glass that blocks UV from the light so that they are never damaged. Do you think that would make any difference?

Thanks again

Thanks for that guys. Theguru1, what do you mean by direct sunlight? Do you mean having them next to the window where the sun sees them directly every morning for hours?

yes, where the sun directly hits them.

Just because I notice it easily with where my whiteboards are hung in the kitchen...light bouncing off of reflective surfaces (white tile floor) can pretty much carry the same affect as direct sunlight.

Would I have the same problem with led lights above each one of them?

no. While I do not personally have any setup like this, I have read that the common solution to a bright bulb light problem was to use LEDs.

I was actually thinking of ordering a glass door for my shelves and ordering glass that blocks UV from the light so that they are never damaged. Do you think that would make any difference?

Well I would assume glass with nothing VS glass with UV protection would make a difference, even at least slightly.

So statues are fading by simply not standing behind glass? Wow that most definitely sucks

LEDs are fine; halogen, incandescent, fluorescent are not.

Do we talk about bulbs directed at statues (part of presentation) or bulbs on your lamp for general illumination from the ceiling?

Based on member galleries there are lots of ppl who keep statues in open air under regular illumination.

When it comes to light, sunlight is the worst. I learned the hard way when I was a kid with putting red glass sculptures in my windows. They turned clear.

Fluorescent bulbs are the worst bulb. They give out tons of UV light and will change an object's colors quickly.

I won't have them anywhere in my house.

Soft bristled brush once a fortnight and sticky tape for cloth.
Never display in direct sunlight. The curtains in my mancave have never been opened.

Do we talk about bulbs directed at statues (part of presentation) or bulbs on your lamp for general illumination from the ceiling?

Based on member galleries there are lots of ppl who keep statues in open air under regular illumination.

Distance to light source is a factor, so an incandescent 15-20 feet away is ok, and behind glass even better as that does block some UV too. Full spectrum is the worst as other have said, UVB that many fluorescents emit is much worse than UVA.

Keep them away from direct sunlight and you'll be fine. And dust them occasionally. You'll be fine.

I would not trust some coating that may break down over time and not filter 100% to begin with. Plus on those the heat may be an issue if you are using them near your pieces.
I think you overestimate the UV-emission of a halogen lamp.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/ff/BlackbodySpectrum_loglog_150dpi_en.png

Compared to sunlight the emission from a 3000K body (lamp) is diminished by a factor of ~1,000, with a semi-broken filter probably by 1000000. In other words a day of direct sunlight damages you as much as a million days of direct halogen lamp light.

Thanks for your advice anyway

Back