Sideshow Speeder Bike question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video and a picture I found, looks as though the Hasbro is a bit wider and the Scout struggles to reach the peddles.
https://youtu.be/m-doe1w6frQ
0b9713b34787d54b2a384aacf2953c48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The width is what throws it off the most when you see it in hand.

The Sideshow version is better detailed but slightly under-scaled to their figure.

I have a couple of the Hasbro ones and they are probably one of Hasbro's best releases in their line. Perhaps a bit over-scaled but stock they look fine and with some tweaks to the paint apps, really holds it's own. For the price, I don't plan on replacing them.

The Sideshow version is better detailed but slightly under-scaled to their figure.

I have a couple of the Hasbro ones and they are probably one of Hasbro's best releases in their line. Perhaps a bit over-scaled but stock they look fine and with some tweaks to the paint apps, really holds it's own. For the price, I don't plan on replacing them.

I believe that the SSC bike is probably correct scaled and the scout a bit over scaled - or at least the body is. A HT version of the scout would probably fit it perfectly.

I’m tempted to grab another ss right now with free shipping. Who knows if ht will make the bike, the price (yikes) and it will be at least a year away if it was preordered tomorrow. Decisions..

I’m tempted to grab another ss right now with free shipping. Who knows if ht will make the bike, the price (yikes) and it will be at least a year away if it was preordered tomorrow. Decisions..

And not sure it would look any better... maybe a tad more accurate? ...don’t think the Maul speeder looks better than this.
58862dea88129d0632994de90a5cfdbd.jpg

The width is what throws it off the most when you see it in hand.

Yeah, this is the issue. It's visual and also practical too - it makes it harder to get a figure to sit in the proper way.

Yeah, it is the best 12" Hasbro piece by a long shot. It's kind of remarkable given you could get it for well under $50 - it was on clearance a lot back then.

I believe that the SSC bike is probably correct scaled and the scout a bit over scaled - or at least the body is. A HT version of the scout would probably fit it perfectly.

Yeah, the SSC Scout is a bit big, like most of the newer SSC troopers - ATAT driver, TIE. They really have to be lowered to bring their helmets into correct proportion. I did that with my TIE, but felt the Scout and ATAT just had too many inaccuracies so sold it. The V2 Scout has much better apps, but still has a bit of a wonky sculpt to my eye.

Someone earlier mentioned by modded Hasbro bike so I'll post the pics again (as I mentioned when I posted these before, the scout was deliberatly built to be about 12 1/2" tall, to match the slight overscale of the bike, though this displays fine next to other 1/6 figs with the overscale not noticeable for some reason):

dIH46K0.jpg

5ILbR5h.jpg

R5ZyHzB.jpg

Yeah, this is the issue. It's visual and also practical too - it makes it harder to get a figure to sit in the proper way.

Yeah, it is the best 12" Hasbro piece by a long shot. It's kind of remarkable given you could get it for well under $50 - it was on clearance a lot back then.

Yeah, the SSC Scout is a bit big, like most of the newer SSC troopers - ATAT driver, TIE. They really have to be lowered to bring their helmets into correct proportion. I did that with my TIE, but felt the Scout and ATAT just had too many inaccuracies so sold it. The V2 Scout has much better apps, but still has a bit of a wonky sculpt to my eye.

Someone earlier mentioned by modded Hasbro bike so I'll post the pics again (as I mentioned when I posted these before, the scout was deliberatly built to be about 12 1/2" tall, to match the slight overscale of the bike, though this displays fine next to other 1/6 figs with the overscale not noticeable for some reason):

dIH46K0.jpg

5ILbR5h.jpg

R5ZyHzB.jpg

Yes, the slightly bulkier and taller bodies for the SSC troopers do throw them off a bit. I have most of them and consider swapping the bodies. But do you have a suggestion for a smaller body where I wouldn’t need to make too many mods to make boots, hands and head fit? Would a narrow shoulder knockoff do it?

Yes, the slightly bulkier and taller bodies for the SSC troopers do throw them off a bit. I have most of them and consider swapping the bodies. But do you have a suggestion for a smaller body where I wouldn’t need to make too many mods to make boots, hands and head fit? Would a narrow shoulder knockoff do it?

I find that even regular narrow shoulder bodies are a bit bulky, so I use them as a starting point. These are dremeled narrow bodies:

Pduw1mV.jpg

And this one shows the SSC driver body next to my custom body:

0eGiKBA.jpg

Great job on both, Tali. I particularly like the TIE Fighter pilot, as you've captured their pose, almost slouch, perfectly.

Big difference with the ATAT driver.

Those look great. I agree the slim bodies always have such broad shoulders and large biceps. I’ve yet to take my Dremel to them but really should to get that average guy build.

I find that even regular narrow shoulder bodies are a bit bulky, so I use them as a starting point. These are dremeled narrow bodies:

Pduw1mV.jpg

And this one shows the SSC driver body next to my custom body:

0eGiKBA.jpg

Looks way more correct. Helmets become
Oversized and sitting lower as they should be.
Can I ask which parts of the body you dremel?

Looks way more correct. Helmets become
Oversized and sitting lower as they should be.
Can I ask which parts of the body you dremel?

Sorry, should have mentioned that neither my ATAT driver nor TIE use the SSC body - for the TIE I think I used a narrow that I dremeled a lot of the shoulders away with (I then sand it so it's not too rough as it catches on fabric and creates loose threads.) If you get a good one, I do like those rubberized SSC bodies for taller figures. They just don't work at all to me for a trooper.

I currently have my custom ATAT driver pulled apart to upgrade it with Sideshow tubes, boots and jumpsuit as well as new webbing, so I'll have to see what body I used on that.

Since there were 2 different screenversions the problem is not so big i think. The 1:1 original prop is much smaller in comparison to the 1:4 studio scale models they used for the effect scenes. So Sideshows slightly smaller bikes go well with the 1:1 props were the actors sat on.

Taking advantage of this thread how was the quality of SS Scout V2 compared with V1 guys ?

Since there were 2 different screenversions the problem is not so big i think. The 1:1 original prop is much smaller in comparison to the 1:4 studio scale models they used for the effect scenes. So Sideshows slightly smaller bikes go well with the 1:1 props were the actors sat on.

I kept reading that in various forums but it didn't seem like that in the research I did when I was rebuilding the Hasbro bike, at least in terms of side-on proportions (ie maybe width is different, but harder to get good ref on.)

The proportions are subtly different but the overall sizes seemed fairly similar, or at least close enough given the scratch build nature of it. The two had to be pretty closely intercut onscreen so I could never get how the sizes could be noticeably different.

Here is one of my comps of the model vs 1:1 (1:1 at bottom) but maybe there's lens distortion or something I'm not accounting for:

uQNnumj.png

I kept reading that in various forums but it didn't seem like that in the research I did when I was rebuilding the Hasbro bike, at least in terms of side-on proportions (ie maybe width is different, but harder to get good ref on.)

The proportions are subtly different but the overall sizes seemed fairly similar, or at least close enough given the scratch build nature of it. The two had to be pretty closely intercut onscreen so I could never get how the sizes could be noticeably different.

Here is one of my comps of the model vs 1:1 (1:1 at bottom) but maybe there's lens distortion or something I'm not accounting for:

uQNnumj.png

In these pictures it looks like the handlebars aren’t that much bigger than on the SSC version? A little different than the 1:4, but not much different in size. They’re quite different between the 1:1 and the 1:4. 1:1 had much thinner handlebars.
The size of the bike as a whole looks very close to the 1:1 prop.
a9a283a5d406173ccf2600e91396ae87.jpg

a48eaa34a7dacc2b99a5db0390721fd6.jpg

Back