Sideshow selling QMx Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that they painted over the Serentiy Logo when they converted it to a Reaver ship (hence why Inara has to repaint it at the end of the movie)?

If you look at all the other shots of the Reaverized Serenity (the CG model) the logo is still there:

View attachment 23998

Here's the other shot where the logo was missing:
View attachment 23999

But granted-both the physical model and that other CG shot where the logo is missing were both done by different companies so something was bound to be different.

you'd think though they would make sure to have the logo though

Well while we are on the subject of dissapointing models of everyone's favorite spaceship, thets talk the QMX replica.

For the quality of what is being sold, there is no excuse for the outrageously high price being charged. There are a couple major problems in the sculpt (an empty space where the hallway to the engine room should be to name one) and the paint application may be by hand, but it isnt anything that could have been done automated for much, much cheaper.
Honestly, my toy X-wing and millenium falcon from when I was a kid had painting of comparable type and quality, and I only paid $50 for those.
Everyone has already mentioned the screws. For the price, there is apsolutly zero ecscuse at all for those giant screws in a noticeable place on the model.

Im not saying it isnt good. Obviously it is the best purchasable physical representation of the model. But it isnt worth at all the price they are charging. Honestly they could have sacrificed a slight amount of quality (of which there are already some problems) and saved buyers a signifigant amount of money.
Use a less sophisticated lighting system, and make building and painting automated, and you could easily cut the price of this thing down to $300.

I think you're underestimating the skill involved in painting. There's no way something like this could go down as low as $300

For one, getting machines to do it isn't easy--they would have to send it to China for that since there aren't really facilities in the U.S. And even then it's very expensive if you aren't doing large runs.

For instance--the graphics on Lego bricks are really quite expensive to do, and that's just for a little plastic thing

Besides that, if they had to do it in a factory in China they wouldn't be able to catch production flaws as easily which would result in a lower quality product.

If you don't want to pay as much for it, I'm pretty sure if you wait they will be doing another version for cheaper--probably without the effects, configurations, Nathan Fillion sig and stuff like that.

If you don't want to pay as much for it, I'm pretty sure if you wait they will be doing another version for cheaper--probably without the effects, configurations, Nathan Fillion sig and stuff like that.

Of course any cheaper version depends on your point of view. SS list this at $2700, no way would I pay that and while you get the lighting, that's without any configuration options, just comes standard.

From QMx, it's $2500, which I still doubt I would have paid, that would have just pushed things a bit too far.

However, the 4 or so buyers that are here (me being one of them), purchased on a pre-order, with a $500 discount, said to be the cost of the lighting system. So that's now $2000, with configuration options, full lighting system, Nathan's sig and exclusive print.

So far we really haven't seen how good the paint apps are and even under ideal conditions, I doubt a photo will ever match seeing it in real life. However, since I don't have mine yet, current owners can only really comment on it. But once I do, I plan to take a good stab at getting the best photo's that I can, even putting her in a space scene that one would with a filming miniature that this is.

I do of course agree that the screws aren't good enough, but since these are all hand made and not just shipped out in bulk from China, that is all being sorted out and mine won't have those.

For one, getting machines to do it isn't easy--they would have to send it to China for that since there aren't really facilities in the U.S. And even then it's very expensive if you aren't doing large runs.

Do large runs of it in China then. Considering how many fans there are of this series, and the fact that they are deeply devoted, im sure that they can make enough of them to warrent mass production.
Id gladly trade some almost unnoticeable drop in quality if it meant saving $2000.

Or another option would be to sell an unpainted and unassembled kit and allow fans to build it themselves. That would make this incredibly cheaper.

As it stands now, $2500 is way to much to pay for something like this.

I do of course agree that the screws aren't good enough, but since these are all hand made and not just shipped out in bulk from China, that is all being sorted out and mine won't have those.

hey guru, can you add more to this comment regarding yours not having the screws?

hey guru, can you add more to this comment regarding yours not having the screws?

I'm still in discussions and just making sure that I fully understanding everything, but the most likely outcome at the moment, will be that my reactor flaps won't have any screw holes and that once I get her, I'll be gluing them onto the model myself.

Sorry for not being in the discussion for a few days. The company that assembled my ship has sent new (painted) flaps to me (without screws), and on top of that, also sent painted screws in case I wanted to use them on the old flaps. The also sent some antenna replacements. I am happy that QMx has taken the initiative to try and improve these problems.

I am currently figuring out how I would like to attach the flaps to the ship. While gluing them would certainly be the easiest method, I am playing around with the thought of using magnets (hidden under the flap.) I will update once I figure out which direction I am going.

The only other little issue that I see with the ship is the lighting near the Serenity logo. On the series and even in the gallery views from QMx, the light right next to the logo on the ship is a "constant on" type of light. With the model build, they changed it to a flashing light. This makes no sense as the light is there to illuminate the logo. I can't see any way that they would be able to fix this though. Whoever did the electronics simply goofed. I would imagine any shipped versions have the same mistake, only because the electronics were all likely diagrammed the same way.

Well, that light is always on and then blinks brighter. I don't mind that change much, the actual light can't illuminate the logo as it should anyways--if you look at the closeup in the movie you'll notice there's an invisible light that's illuminating the logo, not the actual light, the invisible light even casts a shadow from the actual light there.

Well, that light is always on and then blinks brighter. I don't mind that change much, the actual light can't illuminate the logo as it should anyways--if you look at the closeup in the movie you'll notice there's an invisible light that's illuminating the logo, not the actual light, the invisible light even casts a shadow from the actual light there.

Exactly.

Think of the Motion Picture Enterprise, it’s being lit with all those flood lights but many come from a source that is nowhere to found on the actual shooting model.

This being a scaled model we needed to make a choice to have either a flashing light or the steady on light. We thought the flashing light was the the more visually interesting choice for our build of Serenity.

So QMX, any chance that someone could purchase an unassembled and unpainted Serenity in order to save tons of money?

I'm sure QMx explored all the different ways of manufacturing and delivering the ship to collectors including manufacturing in China. But it just wasn't viable.

At the recent Serenity/Firefly convention the question was raised about making it as a kit and it was being explored. But there are so many parts and nothing is keyed, so it would be a master skill level kit at the very least and not really an option for more than 10% of the collectors that would want one.

Well considering im a master skill level modeler, that works out great for me. And honestly, im looking at the model right now, and it does not involve master level work. Anyone with average skills could make assemble it and make it look decent.

However alot of the problems that go along with the parts not being labeled could be solved with an instruction manual.

At the present, you are paying $2500 for a model, with alot of that money paying for labor. I always hate the idea of paying a large amount for something I could more than easily do myself. Especially when in this case that payment places it out of my (and plenty of other collector's) price range.

I am currently figuring out how I would like to attach the flaps to the ship. While gluing them would certainly be the easiest method, I am playing around with the thought of using magnets (hidden under the flap.) I will update once I figure out which direction I am going.

Any close-up pics of how the flaps fit and sit in place would be nice. I'm currently waiting to hear back from Jessica.
Is there enough space for magnets. If that could work then that would be an ideal solution.

At the present, you are paying $2500 for a model, with alot of that money paying for labor. I always hate the idea of paying a large amount for something I could more than easily do myself. Especially when in this case that payment places it out of my price range.

Actually I'm paying $2000 for a large amount of labor that no way could I do it myself. Even at a stretch, I may be able to glue it all together, but no way could I paint it all up to look anything like what QMx produce.
But it's like anything I guess, I think ppl are crazy to pay $90 for IT support, when I cna just do it myself (but then I work in IT). However, I have no idea about fixing cars, so need to pay someone else to do that.

But atleast in all those cases you have the option to do it yourself if you have the skill.

With this case, either you pay for it all, or you miss out.

With this case, either you pay for it all, or you miss out.

Or wait to see if QMx do release a kit. I'm not surprised they haven't yet. If they did right away for say $300, then someone in China would buy a bunch, glue and paint and sell for $1000, less the lighting system.

If you were QMx, having spent 3 years to make up all the kit parts, would you do that.

Exactly.

Think of the Motion Picture Enterprise, it’s being lit with all those flood lights but many come from a source that is nowhere to found on the actual shooting model.

This being a scaled model we needed to make a choice to have either a flashing light or the steady on light. We thought the flashing light was the the more visually interesting choice for our build of Serenity.

Thanks again for getting in touch with the modelers. They have given me some nice options for fixes to the panels.

I may take the "Enterprise" lighting idea and place a small light pointing at the neck of the ship. Perhaps by making a small stand for the ship build info plaque I could store some electronics within it, directing a light at the logo. However, I am getting well ahead of myself.

Or wait to see if QMx do release a kit. I'm not surprised they haven't yet. If they did right away for say $300, then someone in China would buy a bunch, glue and paint and sell for $1000, less the lighting system.

If you were QMx, having spent 3 years to make up all the kit parts, would you do that.
Actually yes. A mass produced kit with little labor costs involved would sell many more units than a very expesive fully painted diorama which would only be really marketable to a wealthy niche of a cult fanbase.

Well considering im a master skill level modeler, that works out great for me.

Great for you, but what about the poor smuck who thinks - wow, I can save $2000, I'll just get the kit and do it myself! But he has no modeling experience at all and either abandons it completely or ends up paying the $2000 to have someone like you build it for him. And then goes on all the boards bad-mouthing the company about how they put out this kit that is impossible to put together.

This is a golden age for collectibles and not everyone will be able to afford everything. Between efx, Sideshow, Cinemaquette, QMX, Weta - no one person can own everything that comes out. I'd love to have a lifesize C-3PO and R2, but I can't afford the price - so I do without.

Back