Sideshow Rhino Comiquette - Link to Regular in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polystone statues are not uniform in thickness either. They have thin, brittle spots as well. Go back and look at all the polystone statues threads with people complaining about them being thin in spots.

So I go back to my point...fiberglass is stronger than much thicker polystone.

Yes, so is plastic. Lighter too.

but at some point these things have to go back in the box to get shipped to the next duty station.

That's a great point. Though these are meant to just sit and be looked at, they will get handled when needed. Speaking for myself, I don't necessarily keep everything I get for whatever period of time as my collection is always evolving and priorities change.

Would you rather have a hollow chocolate bunny, or a solid (or at the very least less hollow) chocolate bunny?

Weight is a factor on something this size, not everything, but important especially when described as polystone.

Would you rather have a hollow chocolate bunny, or a solid (or at the very least less hollow) chocolate bunny?

Weight is a factor on something this size, not everything, but important especially when described as polystyrene.

Personally, I'd rather have a strong piece that holds up at this thickness....so yes, fiberglass and polystone and not just polystone. If you don't like it or are not happy with it...send it back. Fairly simple.

If you want more weight...get 32 oz's of a 2 part quick setting resin and put a few layers in there. It will add strength as well.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a strong piece that holds up at this thickness....so yes, fiberglass and polystone and not just polystone. If you don't like it or are not happy with it...send it back. Fairly simple.

I think something described and sold as a polystone piece should have more of that material then what has been shown.

How many people would have purchased this if it was listed as fiberglass?

I think something described and sold as a polystone piece should have more of that material then what has been shown.

How many people would have purchased this if it was listed as fiberglass?

Your preaching to the choir here...IF you read my posts...you see I said this. Are you sending your back because it's fiberglass and polystone?

Your preaching to the choir here...IF you read my posts...you see I said this. Are you sending your back because it's fiberglass and polystone?

Sorry man, been in and out of this thread...

Mine was intact, and like I said priorities change. Bought a new car a week ago so I'm letting this go to someone that wants it. Had it been more "polystone" and more central to my collection I would have kept it because it does look really good.

I can only wait to see what the future holds.

So your main complaint is weight? :lol To each his own.....

Lighter also means it's cheaper to ship to the next duty station. :lol

You missed my point completely. You would not accept a plastic statue at this price point, even though it would be lighter and harder to break than its polystone equivalent.

I have worked with Fiberglass on boats and motorcycles, I am well aware of its versatility...and its limitations.

I don't particularly think this is a good application, but it will surely outlive its warranty on most pieces. I have a much different opinion than you on it's longevity though. Take a hammer to that same piece in 5 years and you will get a different result.

Sorry man, been in and out of this thread...

Mine was intact, and like I said priorities change. Bought a new car a week ago so I'm letting this go to someone that wants it. Had it been more "polystone" and more central to my collection I would have kept it because it does look really good.

I can only wait to see what the future holds.

I understand that. I'm keeping mine because I love the sculpt and it's the best Rhino out there and it's got the classic head sculpt. My son and I primarily collect Spidey statues...so this piece is important.

You missed my point completely. You would not accept a plastic statue at this price point, even though it would be lighter and harder to break than its polystone equivalent.
I have worked with Fiberglass on boats and motorcycles, I am well aware of its versatility...and its limitations.

I don't particularly think this is a good application, but it will surely outlive its warranty on most pieces. I have a much different opinion than you on it's longevity though. Take a hammer to that same piece in 5 years and you will get a different result.

I'm keeping mine so I guess I did accept it. I've worked with 'glass as well. Boats and motorcycles are exposed to outside elements, sun, temperature changes, rain, snow, etc...this is not.

I accept your opinion...but I disagree with it concerning the fiberglass aspect

Personally, I'd rather have a strong piece that holds up at this thickness....

I would be happy receiving a product with no defects. I've never had any problems with my props and those are a much higher level of product, many of which (years ago) I bought for less than this. Of any collectible product I've purchased, only Sideshow has sent me damaged product - granted that I haven't bought from every collectible producer.

I'm keeping mine so I guess I did accept it. I've worked with 'glass as well. Boats and motorcycles are exposed to outside elements, sun, temperature changes, rain, snow, etc...this is not.

I accept your opinion...but I disagree with it concerning the fiberglass aspect

Not trying to talk you out of it. It is an amazing sculpt and a great paint application. Love the intimidating stance. They got an awful lot right with this piece.

Again, I have my own considerations. When my stuff gets crated and shipped back, seeing it 2-3 months later, it will have been subject to a variety of temperature and atmospheric changes. That fiberglass base, if it has any flaws will be susceptible to breaking down in ways that stone would not. It may handle blunt forces better, but it most definitely will not be as durable over time if left to its own devices.

Either way, the ship has sailed on this. It is however creating new considerations for me on other pieces, based on the materials used and my own unique set of circumstances. YMMV.

I would be happy receiving a product with no defects. I've never had any problems with my props and those are a much higher level of product, many of which (years ago) I bought for less than this. Of any collectible product I've purchased, only Sideshow has sent me damaged product - granted that I haven't bought from every collectible producer.

Sideshow has definitely took a hit on their customer service with this release.

Not trying to talk you out of it. It is an amazing sculpt and a great pain application. Love the intimidating stance. They got an awful lot right with this piece.

Again, I have my own considerations. When my stuff gets crated and shipped back, seeing it 2-3 months later, it will have been subject to a variety of temperature and atmospheric changes. That fiberglass base, if it has any flaws will be susceptible to breaking down in ways that stone would not. It may handle blunt forces better, but it most definitely will not be as durable over time if left to its own devices.

Either way, the ship has sailed on this. It is however creating new considerations for me on other pieces, based on the materials used and my own unique set of circumstances. YMMV.

I understand your unique situation with your being in the service. And it's a shame Sideshow is handling this the way they are. But my Rhino is going to be pretty much where it is for a long, long time and I have confidence that it will hold up just fine. Would I rather it be solid polystone?...yes. But like you said, that ship has sailed and it is what it is.

Be safe.

Last edited:
Impregnated fiberglass is used extensively on aircraft that are exposed to extreme temperatures and stresses, yet these parts do not have a time limit for replacement. Typically, the only repair or replacement of fiberglass parts on an aircraft is due to direct impact damage. It is susceptible to moisture if improperly sealed, so just don't leave Rhino out in the rain. If you'd feel safe flying on a 787, rest assured that this Rhino statue will hold up for a LONG time.

Impregnated fiberglass is used extensively on aircraft that are exposed to extreme temperatures and stresses, yet these parts do not have a time limit for replacement. Typically, the only repair or replacement of fiberglass parts on an aircraft is due to direct impact damage. It is susceptible to moisture if improperly sealed, so just don't leave Rhino out in the rain. If you'd feel safe flying on a 787, rest assured that this Rhino statue will hold up for a LONG time.

If you think the type and curing processes being used are equivalent, then by all means use that comparison.

If you think the type and curing processes being used are equivalent, then by all means use that comparison.

Polystone and fiberglass are both manufactured with resins. One is infused with ground stone, the other with woven fibers of glass.

Polystone and fiberglass are both manufactured with resins. One is infused with ground stone, the other with woven fibers of glass.

Again, not trying to knock a statue you love.

But there is a reason that a large majority of these showed the same foundation cracks on the same spots.

But if you are comfortable with yours, that is all that matters.

I would not buy it based on the claim that it meets the exacting standards found on aircraft or automobiles however. The processes used in the manufacture are not at all comparable, no matter the similarities shared in the compounds.

I sincerely hope that everyone reading this gets years of enjoyment from the piece, never have issues, and that all other statues made of similar design are free of flaws and provide longevity.

I also hope that SS passes along the savings they are achieving to their loyal customers.

Again, not trying to knock a statue you love.

But there is a reason that a large majority of these showed the same foundation cracks on the same spots.

But if you are comfortable with yours, that is all that matters.

I would not buy it based on the claim that it meets the exacting standards found on aircraft or automobiles however. The processes used in the manufacture are not at all comparable, no matter the similarities shared in the compounds.

I sincerely hope that everyone reading this gets years of enjoyment from the piece, never have issues, and that all other statues made of similar design are free of flaws and provide longevity.

I also hope that SS passes along the savings they are achieving to their loyal customers.

I understand. I'm just trying to figure out why you think a resin infused with ground stone statue will hold up better than resin infused with woven fibers of glass statue.....

I understand. I'm just trying to figure out why you think a resin infused with ground stone statue will hold up better than resin infused with fibers of glass statue.....

The fiberglass base is much thinner. It also deteriorates in a different manner.

The blast plates used in protective armor are made of similar materials and have an expiration date because they degrade over time. They will take a bullet/shrapnel when newer, but weaken over time. The most common issue is they can develop cracks on their own. You can x-ray them if using out of date gear to check for this.

Now should SS care if they sell you a product that is amazingly light and tough for 5-10 years? Not like you will be returning it at that point.

Never mind the fact that it's basic composition is not what I would expect from an advertised polystone statue.

Back