Sideshow Premium Art Prints Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow Announcing new Premium Art Prints collection

So what does everyone think about the latest Wonder Woman framed art print being $425. I know most are $250 frames, but I think this is overpriced. Am I missing the reason why this one is so expensive?

IMO the framed editions are definitely overpriced especially when you can get the print framed for half the price or lower professionally.

IMO the framed editions are definitely overpriced especially when you can get the print framed for half the price or lower professionally.

Definitely cheaper to get it professionally framed. Get to know your local framers and wheel and deal a good price if you bring 2 or more for framing. I got a few from SS framed and that plastic frame can crack at the first gentle fall from your hands.

Not to mention the high shipping cost of that beg-ass box. I've actually thought about removing the print and having it reframed in something nicer. I got the framed version because I wanted the print bad enough, but those frames are quite unremarkable.

Not to mention the high shipping cost of that beg-ass box. I've actually thought about removing the print and having it reframed in something nicer. I got the framed version because I wanted the print bad enough, but those frames are quite unremarkable.

I have to agree with you all. I am not impressed with the frames. I own about 6 of them now from Sideshow. I have also had some custome ones done where I live with museum glass and I paid through the nose for those, so I will not be doing that again anytime soon.

I am now trying an online company (Art to Frame) that makes them custom with mats and uv anti glare plexiglass. I will be getting my first one from them soon for the 2nd Thanos on Throne (I missed out on the first one). The frame I ordered cost me about $117 with shipping, and I know that isn't drastically cheaper. In my experience most framed prints from Sideshow usually run $250 framed plus about $37 shipping (depending where you live), and the unframed are $90 with $15 shipping. So my way saved me about $65 for what I am hoping is a better frame with uv protection and no glare.

The reason Olivia's prints are more expensive is because she really isn't a comic artist. She's a pinup artist and quality pinup art is defnitely more expensive than comic related prints, with a few exceptions (Alex Ross, etc.). I think all of Sideshow's framed prints are overpriced given the quality of the framing materials, but buying just the print itself for around $200 is pretty much the minimum you should expect to pay from any of the quality pinup artists currently producing prints.

Unremarkable? That is a massive understatement. Recycled Polystyrene frames are about as cheap as frames get. Those are the kinds of frames hospitals and hotels buy when putting up cheap mass produced prints. You go any lower in quality and your pretty much at cheap poster frames. Most people in here would likely be shocked at the price Sideshow is paying for those frames, especially given the fact their buying them in large quantities. A significant chunk of the framing cost likely goes towards the manpower required to put them all together and box them up properly for shipping.

I used to say this all the time on StatueForum, the smartest thing people can do if they plan on buying a lot of prints is learn how to matt and frame yourself. Its ridiculously easy, saves you a TON of money, and one could buy all the hardware required just from the money they save with one or 2 prints. And the best part about framing yourself is you can switch out the prints that are in a particular frame. Most people have very limited wall space for framed prints. Being able to switch prints out allows you to change up the artwork on your walls without having to spend any additional money. I change out all of the artwork on my walls like 2-3 times a year.

Bought an unframed new WW Olivia print. @275 it did make it through the weekend for an unframed. I guess people have had enough of Gal Gadot. I'm not, look at her awesomeness. Lol. :lol

She wasn't even low quantity a few hours ago.

How to Train Your Dragon is now up for preorder, 250 edition. Anyone thinking about this one?

Honestly, I think the harness looks stupid on a standalone Toothless (be it a print or statue).

I have two Sideshow prints still stored away and a few others. About time I tried to get them put up. Nowhere else I can think of asking, and not these prints, but I want to trim my prints to the frame...

I have two Sideshow prints still stored away and a few others. About time I tried to get them put up. Nowhere else I can think of asking, and not these prints, but I want to trim my prints to the frame...

You might as well just throw them in the trash if you do that

I've been thinking about it for a couple years now. I bought some prints and they've been hiding in storage since. I got a cheap poster frame to trial first. It was slightly too small but did fit a smaller print (which I absolutely love) very nicely.

WiXGbUo.jpg

The Canals of Midtown by Tim Doyle bought for $US20 on sale at half price.
I think it epitomises everything about me and what I like and believe in and I love seeing it every time I walk into my room.

This is the main print I wanted in that sale.

wPGRy5T.jpg

What a piece of Junk by Tim Doyle for $US25, also half price.
Signed and numbered 68/300, but described as new edition, not sure of how many. It's been around for years and still available for sale. I had wanted this when it first came out, but at the time I was getting too many toys (as if I still ain't). Thought it'd look really neat behind all my Hot Toys - though I have no idea how I'd set that up. Either way, this print is the reason I bought all the others. I really want to see this more than once a year!

Another print I nabbed in the sale, not as cool as the Canal and really only to top up my order more than anything else, but still it encapsulates my thoughts and views.

J3CZRsS.jpg

The Frog Price by Tim Doyle again half price for $US25.
Also signed and numbered new edition.

A third print I'm interested in framing cheaply is a Mondo print I bought a year ago. I don't really care too much about thier prints, but saw this one and wanted that Tree.

6faDaH4.jpg

The Jungle Book by Daniel Danger full price of $US60.
A timed realise rather than one of those usual extra limited drops, it's signed and numbered 600/660. However mine has two tiny dog ears on diagonal corners. Like the Canal and Frog Prince, the imagery of the Tree drew me in. I'm all about tree hugging.

So, today I decided I wanted to get some frames for these three prints, and looked up my old measurements of 90x60cm, but I was wrong. The prints are actually 91x61cm. But too late, I got these frames:

pVnxCRH.jpg

The white frame was $7; 90x60. Would have been nice for the Millenium Falcon, but to trim that for a cheap frame? The black one was $11 ;91x61 actually fits edge to edge, but that may cause a tiny crumple fitting in that tight, but I could fit the Falcon in that and not resize it and trim the Frog one to the white or wood frame...

The last wood frame is a nicer and had 30% off totalling $24; 90x60. It is much heavier and has that inner cardboard you can see for a smaller print. It seriously feels 1000x more robust than the other two. I first thought it would be perfect for The Jungle Book, but again I'd really need to trim that...

I open my Hot Toys, I play with all my collectibles and these aren't really prints I'm collecting for value, I just like the look of them. Art prints are now a big commercial medium and I think they can easily reproduce these all the time. They just put a false demand on them. Some companies respect the limited numbers, but not really. They can always find excuses to reprint them again, a new colour way or a new scale. Not that they need to. I feel the market is getting flooded with all these prints. Like how many can we really keep on our walls? If anything we're collecting these like giant baseball cards.

I also have two Sideshow prints, I used points to get free but had to pay stupid shipping for both (so equates to about $US110 each). I believe these two aren't very collectible in the long run. I think they're prints no one would ever want... the second run of Lobo with flying space dolphins (the space dolphins got me) and the incomplete Guardians of the Galaxy, Gamora & Angela.

These are prints not done by big artists or of big characters whose popularity creates that self induced demand thing like Mondo gets. Sideshow have some awesome prints I wish I was following a bit more, but I always held off for toys. Other prints have been friggin' awesome, and I picked these two over all those, lol!!!

I reckon if I talk to anyone, they'll say what you just did, but I have been thinking this a long time, and on prints that didn't really cost that much... I feel like I should just do it! Well now you know how I kinda feel about it.

You can't return those frames and get ones that are 91x61cm or one similar to the frame in the middle?
If you can avoid trimming the prints, I would go that route.

I got this in the other day:

Q29QNTE.jpg

Back