Sideshow now interfering with Custom Work on Facebook

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stating commissions of sales from a page or group that makes money by directing people to sideshows website. I agree to a point but you are also dealing with licensed materials and those "canvases" are also another persons and companies property.

If it's someone selling a hand painted object, regardless of what the canvas might be, it still should be protected as an artist selling their original artwork.

I was stating commissions of sales from a page or group that makes money by directing people to sideshows website. I agree to a point but you are also dealing with licensed materials and those "canvases" are also another persons and companies property.

Once they sell it it's the buyer's property, to do with as they like. They're free to keep it or resell it, take pictures, whatever. If they want to modify and resell it, they can do that too. I think SS is just trying to cut down on those who are actually copying and producing knock-offs of their stuff, I really don't think they care about people fixing their stuff up and even reselling it, that wouldn't make sense.

To me, this is clearly aimed at trying to discourage knock-offs like you see all over eBay of various figures and statues, and that seems perfectly legitimate and reasonable to me.

If they did the figures the right way ie: Uncharted head, Snake Plissken Paint Job, etc etc we wouldn't result to custom based figures. In the end, it's what we consider accurate and detailed that makes our wallet talk.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines. I'll say for me, if I got the figures I wanted, in the quality and style that I wanted for a price point I wanted, I wouldn't have any reason to custom at all!

That being said, if Sideshow contacts me and is interested in my services, I'm open to negotiation! :blissy

Obviously they could have gone about the whole situation a lot better but knowing how they are with customer service, Im not surprised at all.

This is for Sideshow Affiliates only. If you want to get free figs and other benefits from Sideshow for reviewing their products, you have to comply with their rules. Doesn't affect anyone else.

The BlackBox "REPLICANT KILLER" thread was closed for this stated reason: "Bootleg thread closed." What is this a bootleg of? Is there an official licensed release? I want to buy the official release, if it's out there.

The BlackBox "REPLICANT KILLER" thread was closed for this stated reason: "Bootleg thread closed." What is this a bootleg of? Is there an official licensed release? I want to buy the official release, if it's out there.

A ‘bootleg’ is something made illegally, not necessarily a copy. In this case it’s simply an unlicensed product. There are no licensed 1/6 Bladerunner figures as yet.

So what happens if I'm on a thread for a custom piece that has not been completed yet and it gets shut down?

image.jpeg

YAWWWNNN!

What's new here? Guys! Come on! Sideshow! Post disappearing! Threads vanishing or being closed! And now Facebook! Nothing new here! Pass your away and flip them a biiiig birdie!

Dearest Raddtitan members...

Due to the recent email sent to all Sideshow Affiliates we have been put in a position where an important decision must be made!

Whilst we strongly agree with sideshow collectibles' stand on the custom market getting out of control, we cannot agree with the time scaled response of 72hrs to cease sharing any custom piece (past or present) across all RaddTitan social media platforms. Also the blatant blackmail threat of removal of affiliates that don't comply with these demands and the convenient announcement of sideshows intent to retain the monies ($7k) previously earned by RaddTitan from years of promotion and sales on this group has led us to the following decision.

RaddTitan have been a committed Sideshow affiliate for a number of years and in that time we have made over $500,000 in sales for Sideshow Collectibles. They currently have over $7k in commission from previous sales that will be withheld from us if we show, share, review or even talk about any custom project past or present!!

You should know by now that ultimatums are badly received here and although we have been openly discussing customs going crazy for over 4 months (via our weekly chat), with new businesses now popping up selling them openly, making huge profits and high edition size numbers, the fact we are being told we can't discuss it or say it's good, bad or indifferent is purely control of our social media in our eyes!!

We agree with Sideshow that Customs should be small runs to fill voids of characters not being made. Not to be someone's business and full time income. However, we also feel that:
- With the recent Sideshow action of cutting the affiliates link value by 50% (5%-2.5%)
- Followed by the threat that "now we will loose all our past affiliate sales if we do not comply"

What does this mean for the future if we agree to this?
1) Will they stop our affiliate sales if we share any companies' that are selling out of their regions?
2) If we do not take XM resellers off of our sales pages will Sideshow again threaten to remove our affiliate links?
3) Where does this end?
4) What must not be forgotten is that there a benefit to showcasing custom projects and artists e.g.

Did Sideshow not just employ Daniel Bel? Wasn't that due to his work being shared all over social media, with his custom Sentry and custom Magneto winning ZBrush awards? I am sure his earlier great work with XM Studios may have helped too.

As mentioned above we have got Sideshow over $500k in sales and if they choose not to honour the remaining $7k commission from those sales it is very disappointing. But RaddTitan is a group for people to share their ideas and their projects with passion.

So in short...... We will not be stopping any posts of any projects of artists. We do not allow direct sales of customs on our group and this will continue. Raddtitan's ethos of friendship, sharing and community will continue to be the backbone of our web page, facebook group's and YouTube channel! We wish you all a happy collecting journey!!

Geo and Alex!

My initial response to the e-mail (and it's NOT my copy posted above, if Jennifer is reading this thread!) was very much like Raddtitan's there. Only in my case Sideshow affiliate sales are not a huge source of revenue. I have perhaps a couple hundred in outstanding commissions, nowhere near $7k.

And with the halving of commissions and now trying to dictate content... Like I said, it's ONLY because I want to keep a good relationship with Sideshow that I haven't cut the ties already. I like being able to reach out to them and ask them questions for our show. But yeah.... it's an overreach and overstep on their part that makes me VERY uncomfortable.

I can’t say I blame them. They have people recasting there head making simple modifications and seeking them in mass. There has been lots of knockoffs. They tried to deal with those for years but now it seems like customs are mass produced items not one off items some made. At some point SS and license owners had to do something as it was getting out of hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back