1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes me want to listen to the Kenobi novel again. Love that book. He’s much younger in it though. Maybe some day I’ll put together a younger Mythos Ben and have a row of Kenobis from young to old on the shelf.

forgot to mention, the material they procured for his hooded robe is awesome - very thin, with a nice weight to it, easy and fun to futz. lightsaber blade is pure garbage though - very visible seam, not straight, too dark of a blue.

forgot to mention, the material they procured for his hooded robe is awesome - very thin, with a nice weight to it, easy and fun to futz. lightsaber blade is pure garbage though - very visible seam, not straight, too dark of a blue.

Right? I love how the robe falls, it's a huge improvement on what HT has been using. If only they'd use something similar... As much as I love my Chirrut, for example, the fabrics is way too stiff and doll-looking.

And totally agreed on the lightsaber front. I can appreciate where they were coming from with the aforementioned ignition effect, but something about it just felt off to me. Doesn't help that the blade seems an inch too long as well.

Hey guys! Check out my review for Sideshow Collectibles Mythos Obi Wan Kenobi. I have to say besides the QC issues I experienced with this figure, this is a solid release. I can't wait to see how mythos boba fett will turn out, and I hope Sideshow releases more from this line.

https://youtu.be/IuSDwt31y2M

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just gotta say, the robes on your Obi-Wan look ridiculously yellow in that video... If it's just the video, then you really might want to play around with the color settings ;)

Couple quick pics. More shots later.

86D24EA6-0E94-4BEC-BB5E-9C57226AE075.jpeg

7EA2EBA6-C799-48A1-A148-A5E0FEF0B0E1.jpeg

C973F2B0-BFAD-4BF0-BE91-1ED0A6F35E3F.jpeg

I just gotta say, the robes on your Obi-Wan look ridiculously yellow in that video... If it's just the video, then you really might want to play around with the color settings ;)
Think it might be just my color settings and lighting. Really isn't bad at all in hand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The good on this figure is:

The gear. Lovely pack and loads of goodies.

The clothing. Perfect robe fabric and the distressed edge at the bottom is great. The tunic fabric is also nice although the weathering isn’t consistent from body to sleeves. As noted the sleeves are way too clean compared to the rest but at least it’s not overly yellow in hand. Boot design and finish is totally excellent.

The not so good:

Paint apps is still subpar. Definitely not comparable to an HT paint job. The ears, on mine at least, are much darker than anything else. They were painted grayish brown from the hairline back including the entire ear while from the hairline forward it’s much lighter. And lighter still is the peach colored plastic neck which doesn’t match anything. Overall it’s passable on display but lacks the realism that HT, QMX and others can achieve.

The sculpt does have a translucent, plastic like quality to it. Probably intended to mimic skin but it doesn’t quite pull it off like other companies have.

The neck joint needs refining. On a figure like this a much more astetically pleasing joint is nothing new.

Overall an awesome $200-$225 figure but due to the paint apps mostly it just doesn’t justify $260. IMHO Sideshow might be showing improvement in fabric choices and tailoring but for some reason just can’t crack the paint apps code that even newer companies don’t seem to struggle with.

Just my opinion but based on all the pictures this figure looks nothing like Obi-Wan.... I'm not sure I would spend $260 on this...

The clothing. Perfect robe fabric and the distressed edge at the bottom is great. The tunic fabric is also nice although the weathering isn’t consistent from body to sleeves. As noted the sleeves are way too clean compared to the rest but at least it’s not overly yellow in hand. Boot design and finish is totally excellent.

The not so good:

Paint apps is still subpar. Definitely not comparable to an HT paint job. The ears, on mine at least, are much darker than anything else. They were painted grayish brown from the hairline back including the entire ear while from the hairline forward it’s much lighter. And lighter still is the peach colored plastic neck which doesn’t match anything. Overall it’s passable on display but lacks the realism that HT, QMX and others can achieve.

The sculpt does have a translucent, plastic like quality to it. Probably intended to mimic skin but it doesn’t quite pull it off like other companies have.

The neck joint needs refining. On a figure like this a much more astetically pleasing joint is nothing new.

Overall an awesome $200-$225 figure but due to the paint apps mostly it just doesn’t justify $260. IMHO Sideshow might be showing improvement in fabric choices and tailoring but for some reason just can’t crack the paint apps code that even newer companies don’t seem to struggle with.

Nice review. Thanks for that. And the pics. Not a total turd, eh? Maybe I’ll grab it if it drops in price significantly.

The not so good:

Thank for for your in-depth review. The biggest hold back to me is the base, I hate that black pentagonal base and dont want to pay addtional $ just for the custom If SS does include special Tatooine desert diorama base I would buy it instantly 'cause I could convince myself the excuse to justify the price tag.

If you don't have this figure...it's your loss...
I don't know if I'd go that far, the body is nice and the accessories are decent, but for the price the face and neck just are not up to par at all. Plus it comes with a blank base. I'm still debating getting this, but with the price and the face just not quite being there I don't know. Plus I do already own the Hot Toys Obi wan and have the ep 3 version on pre order.

Hey guys! Check out my review for Sideshow Collectibles Mythos Obi Wan Kenobi. I have to say besides the QC issues I experienced with this figure, this is a solid release. I can't wait to see how mythos boba fett will turn out, and I hope Sideshow releases more from this line.

https://youtu.be/IuSDwt31y2M

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for your time and efforts buddy. Great great review.
Any ideas anybody why SSC went that way for the lightsaber blade? I they had detailed the no-blade hilt terminator, with no silly ugly hole, I would understand, but that beauty terminator does have a sully ugly hole on it!! So why the hell?

Is it just me or are the sleeves basically untouched while the robes on the chest are pretty weathered.

You are right. You could say "OK, yellow is sweat, and arms do not sweat that much." but sleeves are prone to gather dirt when you move around right? They are the parts you lean on, those that enter in contact with the environment most than any other part, besides the legs... In fact, sleeves should have tears on them...
Well I guess SSC wants all of us to get into customizing........

Beautiful pics indeed. Thank you buddy. Head looks great on them.

m.

Still can't decide which pose I like better... Anakin and Obi-Wan in a duel, or if Anakin never turned:

me0rQCL.png

I think the lack of weathering on the tunic sleeves is supposed to be indicative of the fact they were covered by his brown robe until he tore off the sleeves recently. Not saying it works though, it doesn't look all that good.

I have this figure and many hot toys star wars figures, I'm not a paint expert but I can tell you that this figure looks every single bit as good as my hot toys stuff and better in a lot of cases. I've seen some terrible hot toys figures in the past. This however is not a terrible figure at all, the neck joint is bad I'll admit that easily, but for God's sake this guy looks amazing on display with my custom sand base. leagues better than ANH luke or ANH Obi by Hot toys. I feel like if you just stop and take the time to take the whole figure in and soak up the lore and stories he is wrapped in then you can easily fall in love with this guy. He really is an absolutely fantastic display piece. And While I don't see either Ewan or Alec, I do see Obi wan squinting in the harsh dual suns of Tattooine.

Back