1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when I bought the 1:5th SS Mythos Obi Wan it was $379.00... this 1:6th release is $265.00

And now Sideshow statues are $600, not $379. So, what's your point?

Prices have gone sky-high in the past five years but even in that context this is a figure that should be close to $200.

There's nothing exceptionally complex about it, and the head is fine enough but not the quality you'd expect on a $260 figure.

This is not something to dance around - if SSC wants to charge $260, which is over the market standard for this type of figure, they should deliver the goods.

This is shipping at the same time HT puts up a PO for a new-sculpt stormtrooper that's priced at $189. Yeah, no human headsculpt, but still a pretty complex figure that doesn't have much in the way of shared parts from older releases.

This major disconnect between Sideshow's quality, particularly in regard to human headsculpts (a serious issue that repeats over and over, year after year,) and Sideshow over-the market pricing is something to discuss openly and often, not something to be dismissed as if it doesn't exist. Because - you know, something might actually change for the better if its discussed.

No, SS came out and specifically said that the armor is not removable nor can it fit on the figure. I think it's slightly off scale.

Must have shrank from all that desert heat...

Actually it's the desert cold that shrinks it, just ask George Costanza. :lol

shrinkage.jpg

This **** is getting expensive...lol

Yeah in a lot of ways SSC has become the new Medicom, at least with regard to 1/6 scale figures.

exactly. I am legitimately happy with their dengar, and feel it's as close to a home run as they are gonna give us. But, production pics for Mythos Obi-wan shows that they are not consistently hitting the level they need to for the money they ask. And that was Medicom's problem: inconsistent

What is keeping SSC afloat? Seriously.

Last edited:
What is keeping SSC afloat? Seriously.

They're successful for one of the the same reasons Amazon has been so successful. They've become ubiquitous.

They're synonymous with 'geek'. They supply so many stores with product. They are a huge part of the supply chain. They have a giant booth at SDCC, they are a major attraction. As far as I'm aware, they're in the 'too big to fail' echelon, as far as this segment of the industry goes.

Since I've started collecting 1/6, I've felt that SS should just give up on their 1/6 figures and instead create 1/6 scale dioramas and accessories that people can use with their HT figs. That way they're not in direct competition with another company that they're already selling on their site lol...

And as some of the 1/4 statue bases have been pretty cool, I'm sure SS could do a decent job with dioramas and whatnot if they wanted. Hell, take more of an OSK approach and sell pieces of clothing, backpacks, etc.. the biggest issues with their figures anyway are usually the heads and bodies.

You want to know why Sideshow will not fail?--because they are the main distributor of Hot Toys and other related collectibles in North America--If you judge Sideshow on purely their merit for what they produce (outside of their statues --some of which are very good, some meh) they would fail. Their strangle hold on distribution is what keeps them afloat. Now, if Amazon somehow undercut Sideshow and got the Hot Toys distribution for N.A.--Sideshow would be TOAST!

They're successful for one of the the same reasons Amazon has been so successful. They've become ubiquitous.

They're synonymous with 'geek'. They supply so many stores with product. They are a huge part of the supply chain. They have a giant booth at SDCC, they are a major attraction. As far as I'm aware, they're in the 'too big to fail' echelon, as far as this segment of the industry goes.

Sadly, this pretty much solely summarizes Sideshow's status as a company these days.

I mean as opposed to a designer and producer of state-of-the-art 1/6 figures.

And I say that with sadness, not spite.

Good points, thanks all. To be clear, I don't want them to fall and have folks out of jobs, but they need to get their **** together, insofar as their own final products are concerned.

The email I received last week said my final flex payment and shipment was supposedly yesterday, but I haven’t received any further updates...

Back