1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i preordered this. i didn't cancel. banking on it looking better in hand. haven't seen anything so far that doesn't look like $89.99.

Hope this is what you're looking for. I turned off the flash as well and turned on some overhead lights.

Just FYI for those who get this, the lightsaber blade is detachable from the hilt but be careful, it breaks easy! I just broke the blade off the nozzle :( but it's being fixed right now.

20181201_161551.jpg

20181201_161500.jpg

20181201_161536.jpg

20181201_160333.jpg

Attachments

• 20181201_160333.jpg
    20181201_160333.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 152
Not bad ...the hair line paint apps are a little frightening. Looks like it could be futzed into something pretty cool looking though.

Yeah, the hairline area is where it does feel a bit like where hasbro 12" would be in 2018 - the hair mostly sculpted directly to the forehead instead of hanging in front of it.

It's actually pretty solid overall but still has the same issues that helmetless Luke Snowspeeder had, and what SSC Luke Jedi looks to be - decent apps and a solid enough sculpt, but kind of lifeless and doll-like. It's odd that his forehead is furrowed into a serious frown yet his face overall is kind of blank-stare.

The way Sideshow does human headsculpts is truly one of the saddest things about 1/6 these days. They should be 100% on-par with HT by now, yet they keep producing these figures that are solid enough in paint and sculpt, but just very clearly not at the same level as HT in terms of capturing what appears to be a living human being in 1/6.

Looks better with the harsher top light. Are these stills from a video?

I so wanted to love this figure. Of the Mythos figures this one caught my eye. I did not pre-order due to it being a Sideshow figure; it would probably stick around for awhile. Now with what I see I don't feel like doing work on it on top of the MSRP.

The HS looks better in those pics than the previous ones, but still more doll-ish than Hot Toys for some reason. Looks like those pics sadly confirm the tunic for me. Very piss-stained yellow. I'm pretty bummed as I was looking forward to this more than anything else when it was announced. But seeing in-hand pics, it looks like it was released in 2008 for $100. For charging more than most Hot Toys figures these days (if not the same as DX's that come with way more), I'm really disappointed with the quality.

I'll wait to see how Ep3 Obi comes out and maybe try to get a loose backpack from this guy and an extra HT robe to cut up and make my own. I'm still holding out hope someone posts pics that make this look awesome. I'm really bummed about it. I liked the sculpt a lot too, just the final paint apps are really oof.

Thankfully the outfit and rest of the figure look a lot better than in the production pics. It's really just the sculpt that lets it down I think, although a repaint could probably improve it considerably.

And I would definitely switch out that ugly dark blue lightsaber blade with one of the HT ones.

The HS looks better in those pics than the previous ones, but still more doll-ish than Hot Toys for some reason.

Yeah, it's often hard to put your finger on what it is about a Sideshow head that makes it off - the sculpt is usually quite decent and the paint apps, while simpler than HT's, are usually close to decent. Sometimes the eyes are sub-par, like on the Luke X-wing, but sometimes they are good. It's just taken together, it looks unconvincing as 1/6 human, despite HT nearly always being able to clear that hurdle (HT it will often come down to sculpt likeness not being spot-on or metallic hair.)

Looks like those pics sadly confirm the tunic for me. Very piss-stained yellow. I'm pretty bummed as I was looking forward to this more than anything else when it was announced. But seeing in-hand pics, it looks like it was released in 2008 for $100. For charging more than most Hot Toys figures these days (if not the same as DX's that come with way more), I'm really disappointed with the quality.

I'll wait to see how Ep3 Obi comes out and maybe try to get a loose backpack from this guy and an extra HT robe to cut up and make my own. I'm still holding out hope someone posts pics that make this look awesome. I'm really bummed about it. I liked the sculpt a lot too, just the final paint apps are really oof.

:rotfl

Well, hey - he is kind of lost in the desert so wouldn't care.:dunno

Thankfully the outfit and rest of the figure look a lot better than in the production pics. It's really just the sculpt that lets it down I think, although a repaint could probably improve it considerably.

And I would definitely switch out that ugly dark blue lightsaber blade with one of the HT ones.

That reminds me, the tailoring looks a lot better in these photos than it did on Sideshow's

Can you take some pics with him posed/futzed better (no offense), and also perhaps a side by side with a Hot Toys figure with a face sculpt? So far it looks like he wouldn't quite fit in. The robes still look a bit too yellow for my liking, and the paint is so-so on the face. Those are my two main issues with the figure :( The backpack looks rad. How are the joints?

None taken my friend, I just like more neutral poses - looks cleaner to me. If you have an idea how you want him posed, please let me know and I'll do that and take pics for you. Here he is next to HT Obi; two different light sources: 1. LED white, 2. Overhead halogen with a more yellow tone.

20181201_183058.jpg

20181201_183257(1).jpg

20181201_184834.jpg

None taken my friend, I just like more neutral poses - looks cleaner to me. If you have an idea how you want him posed, please let me know and I'll do that and take pics for you. Here he is next to HT Obi; two different light sources: 1. LED white, 2. Overhead halogen with a more yellow tone.

View attachment 434950

View attachment 434951

View attachment 434952

Those pics are a lot better, thank you. The robes look a little better here as well, but I still wish they weren't quite as yellowed.

Thanks for posting pics. This looks a helluva lot better than the SS pics! Price not withstanding, I'm satisfied with it for sure. I wish they took more license with Boba Fett as I didn't order that one. Maybe we'll see a metal legs Maul for Obi Mythos to contend with.

Anyone else think the head looks like it's not completely down on the peg?

Just FYI for photographers, it's not necessary to stick your camera right next to the figure to take a good photo. It's better to put some distance between the camera and the figure . No one crams the figure right up next to their eyeball to look at it.

Just FYI for photographers, it's not necessary to stick your camera right next to the figure to take a good photo. It's better to put some distance between the camera and the figure . No one crams the figure right up next to their eyeball to look at it.

That's a Bingo! :goodpost:

Please, by all means, provide something better. I only have a phone camera and am trying to capture detail for those who asked, aka, trying to do something nice for folks.

Back