1/6 Sideshow Mythos Obi Wan 1/6 Desert Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be easier to add the pics to a site like imgur and then in the add pics paste in the hosted address for each pic. That's what I do rather than use this sites attach option.

I remember a similar issue with SS Jawa where on later batches the weathering and finish of the fabrics (particularly the tattered edges) where very subpar. Conversely a re-release of C3PO fixed the botched finger articulation of the original release.

I would also add that the sculpt paint of the first run of Darth Maul sculpts was reportedly better than the secondary runs. The reissue of IG-88 was terrible compared to the original, etc. Point being, second run Sideshow stuff has often been problematic.

I would also add that the sculpt paint of the first run of Darth Maul sculpts was reportedly better than the secondary runs. The reissue of IG-88 was terrible compared to the original, etc. Point being, second run Sideshow stuff has often been problematic.

All good examples. But since we are playing the game, second run Bossk actually looked like Bossk :wink1:

19Bw7xk.jpg

fsMtQ6w.jpg

oZEuxrs.jpg

All good examples. But since we are playing the game, second run Bossk actually looked like Bossk :wink1:

Haha also true. V2 Bossk was almost an entirely different figure though. But I'm sure there are other examples also as you mentioned like C3PO's thumbs where V2 was actually improved. The next restock of R2 will probably have a diecast dome :lol

Can you post a picture of what the arm actually looks like?

Pull the sleeves up so we can see the joint.

Just remembered the infamous Hoth Luke and Han where at least some of the Luke figures had the Han body and vice versa. :slap

It's all really peculiar. I'd post photos if I could so people with the original can compare, but I'm not sure what I need to do to qualify to add attachments. Just not enough posts yet?

Quick shot of mine; shipped July 2020

SSCobi.jpg

No problem with joint. What u describe sux - time to time I think about ordering another as the fig is/was so good. Sounds like SSC changed their production company; or the production company cut corners.:pfft:

Very strange.

Well, that's definitely not the same body as the original release. Mine has the double joint at the elbows.

Before I contact customer service (any idea if it's better to use chat or email?), can anybody confirm 100% that the clothing fabric and armor paint are definitely different from the previous run, based on my earlier shots? It sure looks that way in the pics I've seen, but nothing has been super close up and sharp enough for me to be completely sure.

, can anybody confirm 100% that the clothing fabric and armor paint are definitely different from the previous run, based on my earlier shots? I

I can't tell based on your photos.

On the armor, those dark gray blotches are much more heavy-handed on yours. On mine, it's more like dry-brushing on the edges to simulate wear. SSC will tell you they're hand-painted so variation will occur. But that's the only thing I notice as far as paint. I will say, it's pretty silly how blobby the paint is.

The clothing, again, I can't really say. The tunic seems like it might be a rougher texture. But your photo is zoomed in, so it may just be a matter of scale.

I'd be more concerned with the body, that seems like more of a deal-breaker to me.

Thanks. Clothing-wise, it appeared to me like the older figures had a visibly finer, thicker material for the shirt section, versus the very thin, rough-weave cotton look on mine.

It also seems like the armor shoulderpads are attached with much longer lengths of string, so they dangle a ways down instead of hanging close to the top portion.

Yeah the details and finish, like the longer shoulder armor strings, are fine for me.

It's the articulation that's absolutely false advertising and a deal breaker. I'm on hold calling CS now

Thanks. Clothing-wise, it appeared to me like the older figures had a visibly finer, thicker material for the shirt section, versus the very thin, rough-weave cotton look on mine.

It also seems like the armor shoulderpads are attached with much longer lengths of string, so they dangle a ways down instead of hanging close to the top portion.

I think it's reasonable that the material changed. It would be extremely difficult to find the same material used from three years ago.

You're probably right on the string, mine is more or less fixed in place, there is no extra length, but again, not a deal-breaker. It's hard to say what's a normal variance between individual pieces made on the production line versus someone being sloppy. But looking at that paintwork on the armor, I'd lean towards 'sloppy'.

But overall though, with the model of base body changing, as well as the material changing, they should've taken all new photos, it looks like the product has changed substantially in this revised version.

You'll have to weigh your options. It's a pretty cool figure overall, probably at the top of the list of Sideshow's 'original designs', so it would suck to pass on it because the string is longer on the revised version, or the tunic fabric is not the same as the first version. You'll have to disregard what the first version looks like and judge what you have on its own merits. Again, it is to be expected that the product would change between batches, or versions. That is fairly standard to keep the 'integrity' of each edition. Though Sideshow is sort of in uncharted territory by keeping the figure for sale in perpetuity and just making new batches, and not outright labeling it as such.

Maybe just accept a partial refund of $20-$30 and use that towards a more poseable body.

Or just return it, call it a wash, and wait for the inevitable Hot Toys version for show, which will be the 'canon' design of the character.

It's no longer a pretty cool figure overall when it has worse articulation than most 3.75 figures lol.

I sent them photos and a video of the issue. They had another complaint logged about it too. We'll see what happens. It's unacceptable to make that drastic of a change without advertising it. Materials change over time of course. But I know they haven't regressed to single jointed bodies.

Just checked the one I Just got. Same issue with the elbow bend. So pissed off.

Call their customer service ASAP tomorrow. They need to know that this is a problem. They already have two complaints on file. Add to it. They need to make it right.

Make it three -- I'm usually pretty happy with whatever I get, but this one's a bad situation. My local comic store might still have the original (they did as of a few months ago), so hopefully I may be able to pick it up there without too much of a price hike.

I sent them a message through their site tonight. They'd better offer me a replacement body, I don't want a partial refund.

Back