Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These look cool. Have to wait for the close-ups but SS human sculpts look to be getting better.
I agree they're getting much better. However, if you look closely at the exclusive Luke sculpt, (with Wampa scars) it looks like someone gene-spliced Luke together with Han Solo... Odd.

Regarding the parka color controversy, I have what I believe is a valid theory:
I tried to put myself in the place of the cinematographer, and/or George himself; I'm shooting scenes with Han Solo in various lighting conditions. In many shots his parka appears almost black, against the contrast of the snow and ice in the background; a silhouette, which looks good in some shots. In many scenes, the BLUE of Han Solo's parka looks fine, and is recognizably BLUE. However, in some scenes the darkness and coolness of his parka would look better with a bit of warmth, especially when Han is standing in frame with warm light sources emitted by tech-devices which have red or yellow light.
Solution: Give Han an alternate BROWN jacket for certain shots only, which will (in theory) be too dark to identify on screen as brown, but will reflect a bit of warmer light at the edges.

I came to this theory immediately after watching the film, in which it is blatantly obvious that the parka is almost always BLUE, especially in the interior Echo Base scenes, in the narrow ice tunnels, and again later when Han is trying to revive Luke in the snow. I have taken into consideration the fact that the interior shots have a lot of reflected blue light from the set, and possibly from studio lights with blue color gels as well. Considering how different types of film stock registered color and contrast in the 70's and 80's, it would make sense that a brown parka used in a few selected shots would have been a viable solution to offset excessive contrast and darkness.
(This would also explain the photo of Harrison in Hoth gear driving the snow-cat, wearing what appears to be a brown parka; He was shooting a scene that day with the brown one.)

Conclusion: The character of Han Solo has a blue parka.

Last edited:
I agree they're getting much better. However, if you look closely at the exclusive Luke sculpt, (with Wampa scars) it looks like someone gene-spliced Luke together with Han Solo... Odd.

I think Luke's exclusive head is meant to be displayed upside down. :lol

images

:lol :lol :lol

The debate continues with a non stop train to wreck. :slap Can we talk more about the figure than the colors Brown and Blue? I have put my opinion into it and basically you can't go wrong with both. You score with both. Both colors look great. Lets get back on track now shall we? As Harrison Ford said "Who gives a ****!"

As Harrison Ford said "Who gives a ****!"

Apparently quite a few.

I picked the version that best reflects my ESB experience. How many are getting a Taun Taun for both Han and Luke? I'm considering just the one, most likely for Han leaving Luke face down in a pile of snow. That said, if they are anything like the Dewbacks, I'll wait on picking one up and hopefully they will get cheaper.

Apparently quite a few.

I picked the version that best reflects my ESB experience. How many are getting a Taun Taun for both Han and Luke? I'm considering just the one, most likely for Han leaving Luke face down in a pile of snow. That said, if they are anything like the Dewbacks, I'll wait on picking one up and hopefully they will get cheaper.

That's my plan too. I'm hoping I can get just one Tauntaun cheaper on the aftermarket. Hopefully my gamble pays off.

The debate continues with a non stop train to wreck. :slap Can we talk more about the figure than the colors Brown and Blue? I have put my opinion into it and basically you can't go wrong with both. You score with both. Both colors look great. Lets get back on track now shall we? As Harrison Ford said "Who gives a ****!"

I don't get why it's an issue anyway since Sideshow is offering both options. It was an interesting discussion for a while, but now we're one photoshop diagram away from Joker's socks territory.

I don't get why it's an issue anyway since Sideshow is offering both options. It was an interesting discussion for a while, but now we're one photoshop diagram away from Joker's socks territory.

No it can't hit that territory I won't last a second if this keeps going on. The debate ends here. Just want to talk about how awesome the figure looks. Both Jackets Sideshow is offering looks great. Can't go wrong with either. It's a win win.

By not including both jackets standard, Sideshow forced everyone interested in buying the figure to care.

I do agree there that it sucks they didn't include both coats in the pack but I just don't want to hear about it. Want to forget it ever happened. You got a point which I agree upon but rather talk about the figure itself instead of a debate over colors and Sideshow screwing up. By the way love the Sig. Funny. :lol

No it can't hit that territory I won't last a second if this keeps going on. The debate ends here. Just want to talk about how awesome the figure looks. Both Jackets Sideshow is offering looks great. Can't go wrong with either. It's a win win.

:lecture It is an awesome figure.

By not including both jackets standard, Sideshow forced everyone interested in buying the figure to care.

Do you think it would've been a non-issue had they just released the blue jacket with no brown option at all? How many folks would've noticed? I know I wouldn't have, but I'm not as switched on to these things as some.

Edit: oops sorry, done with jacket colour discussion, my last post on the matter :lol

:lecture It is an awesome figure.

:exactly: Can't wait to get Han and Luke. Definitely want to pick up the Taun Taun down the road. My Hoth display will be awesome. Thinking of how I'm going to make the case and how I want it to look. This display has it's own. Too much awesome in this.

I wish we had more pics of the hatless sculpt. From what I can tell, it has the potential to be the best Harrison Ford sculpt yet...which isn't really saying much.

I wish we had more pics of the hatless sculpt. From what I can tell, it has the potential to be the best Harrison Ford sculpt yet...which isn't really saying much.

I totally agree. I've placed my preorder, but it's amazing how much evidence there is for brown or blue.

Bravo, freaks, for making compelling arguments for both sides!

I'm getting one of each. Regardless of which is the correct color or not I like them both and I plan on doing the following. The brown coat version I plan to display with the helmet off head sculpt to represent when he is inside and the blue I will display with him bundled up with the hood up and all to represent when he was outside and very cold. When I think blue I think cold and it I feel that color coat fits the mood more for outdoors.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was looking for pictures of details on the goggles and rank badge and accidentally found this.

han-hoth-jacket-han-solo-coat-1.jpg-256613d1384803304

Since the debate refuses to die. This looks like a color corrected shot to me. The left (blue) is what was seen on screen and the right (brown) is a color corrected copy to remove the effects of lighting and what not revealing the brown prop jacket.

The question is do you want your figure to reflect what is seen on the screen or what the original prop looked like before movie manipulation?

Word.

I wish we had some hi-res shots of the figure's gloves, gun belt and other details.

The fur on the hood looks really good. Let's hope they'll be able to source the same material for production.

Back