Sideshow high end StarWars maquette's??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll say it again,high end maquette!! Not a bronze statue.

Maybe you are misunderstanding the term "maquette"... it is "usually" a model or representation of a larger work. The Predator, Alien and other maquettes, are based off the original designs and sometimes, are an exact copy of the maquette used during production. That is why Sideshow nicknamed the Marvel pieces "comiquette", since they weren't true maquettes. It is used loosely now days, so I guess you could have a maquette even if there never was an original maquette to base it on, but just because it is a maquette, doesn't mean it is more "high end" than the Premium Format pieces or more high quality. A maquette is just a model of something bigger... not necessarily high quality or high end.

ma·quette (mă-kĕt')
pron.gif

n.
A usually small model of an intended work, such as a sculpture or piece of architecture.

How can you say that?? SS is producing Alien and Predator Maquette's.There would most certainly be a market for StarWars one's.I know a lot of you guys like your PF's but c'mon,there's definitely a market out there for a more expensive,better quality statue/maquette than a PF.

how many companies have the license for alien and predator maquettes? you'd see ss prices for this license a lot less if several companies were making them, like the many companies doing sw. if several companies lose their sw license, and ss raises their prices, would that make you happy? :lol

Maybe you are misunderstanding the term "maquette"... it is "usually" a model or representation of a larger work. The Predator, Alien and other maquettes, are based off the original designs and sometimes, are an exact copy of the maquette used during production. That is why Sideshow nicknamed the Marvel pieces "comiquette", since they weren't true maquettes. It is used loosely now days, so I guess you could have a maquette even if there never was an original maquette to base it on, but just because it is a maquette, doesn't mean it is more "high end" than the Premium Format pieces or more high quality. A maquette is just a model of something bigger... not necessarily high quality or high end.

ma·quette (mă-kĕt')
pron.gif

n.
A usually small model of an intended work, such as a sculpture or piece of architecture.

PWN3D!!!!!

ma·quette (mă-kĕt')
pron.gif

n.

I thought that is what a maquette was. Thanks for setting me straight. I was pretty sure it was the original design or pre-rendered 3d minature if you will of a character.

So......based off of the real world definition of the Maquette, Star Wars could not have Maquettes for major characters unless they were done in filming as representations? Like the Studio Scales from the defunct Master Replicas right?

I thought that is what a maquette was. Thanks for setting me straight. I was pretty sure it was the original design or pre-rendered 3d minature if you will of a character.

Traditionally, that is what maquettes have been, but we are seeing more "faux" maquette collectibles now days. Speaking of faux, the Hellboy 1:1 bust was a copy of a pre-production maquette to help pitch the film... that is why the artist's finger marks are so predominate on it, it was not a "finished" piece.

So......based off of the real world definition of the Maquette, Star Wars could not have Maquettes for major characters unless they were done in filming as representations? Like the Studio Scales from the defunct Master Replicas right?

Maybe JarJar. :monkey1:lol

Yes and no... they wouldn't be original or based on original maquettes, but they could be done, as chavez would like, but that doesn't mean they would be better than the Premium Formats, although they could be.

Yes and no... they wouldn't be original or based on original maquettes, but they could be done, as chavez would like, but that doesn't mean they would be better than the Premium Formats, although they could be.

So basically are you asking for better sculpts or materials? What would you like to see better?

They had maquettes made for the CGI department - Clone Troopers and Battle Droids for sure - though probably many more.

Well Maquettes can be mixed media like the Predator version so if I understand Chavez he wants bigger SW pieces right? Not necessarily Maquettes but done in the same vein with the same attention to detailing...something over 2 feet tall and gives that larger than life feel?

Well Maquettes can be mixed media like the Predator version so if I understand Chavez he wants bigger SW pieces right? Not necessarily Maquettes but done in the same vein with the same attention to detailing...something over 2 feet tall and gives that larger than life feel?

Yes sir,you got it.:clap :duff

I don't imagine SSC really ever delving into this, particularly when the PF line has a healthy number of pieces already behind it. It seems like a lot of the "maquette" pieces they do are one time deals from movies, like PredAlien for AVPR, Predator from Predator, Graboid from Tremors, Bruce from JAWS, Dog Alien from Alien 3; there hasn't really been a line of maquettes I can think of other than the comiquettes and those are outside the norm.

I imagine if SSC did SW pieces the size of some of the maquettes, their overall look would be no different than the PFs, only things like clothing could be sculpted a bit more dynamic than real cloth allows, but that's about it. I imagine their pose selections would be the same. Most maquettes are done to not only represent the design but also the "character" of a character or creature and I'm pretty sure that's the philosophy SSC applies to the PF line, whether people agree with it's success or not, that's the vibe I get from the line.

Although the term isn't exact I think he's looking for something more along the lines of a Cinemaquette. The Predator piece is essentially a PF although it cost more so they didn't want to call it a PF. Same with Predalien and alien - although there's no mixed media on them.

From a marketing/sales point of view, I can't see this happening - Cinemaquettes aren't a profitable business and the PFs sell very well. I don't see SSC going any more high end than that except for 1:1 items.

However if Cinemaquette gets the Star Wars license - then you can pay $1750-2000 for a Vader.

Back