Premium Format Sideshow: Harley Quinn Hell on Wheels Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now imagine doin it for 5000 x or whatever the es holds. hahahaha

Now imagine doin it for 5000 x or whatever the es holds. hahahaha

I imagine the China factory workers only do maybe 1/20 of the steps that she takes to paint that portrait... Basically they just spray white paint on her face and move on to the next one :(

Damn! ...I want to watch more videos like this. Just love watching a master artist do her thing! Kat rules!
They did a video for the portrait painting of the new Superman: Call to Action PF with Bernardo Esquivel doing the painting this time. I posted it over in that thread.

Looks easy. Now we can all do it =)
HaHa ...she does make it look really easy. Doesn't she? Man, if only it was that easy ....
It's actually not that difficult even without the air brush to be honest. Just takes a couple hours. The techniques she uses are pretty standard and fairly easy to replicate. I learned to paint sculpts just like this without videos like hers to go, by just from asking (at the time) the only custom artist I knew at the time for tips on both painting and sculpting. A video like this and the Superman one would have saved me some time. And I knew nothing about painting collectibles when I started. I used to use crushed up pastel and dry brush sculpts b/c I was scared of paint (since it seemed to permanent) and the pastels could be wiped off easily. I actually started with repainting 1/6 and 1/4 Sideshow pieces b/c of the big drop from proto to production piece.

The cool thing I did earn with these recent videos is the washing technique with the blue and yellows. I was aware ppl did that on silicone masks, statues etc but didn't know it would work similarly on plastic/ & poly stone pieces as well.

Wow, the skin surface detail is incredible for a Sideshow figure. Is that painted on or actually part of the sculpt?
The bare sculpt looks pretty smooth, so I am pretty sure the texture is done by the air brush as well as the sponge technique.

They did a video for the portrait painting of the new Superman: Call to Action PF with Bernardo Esquivel doing the painting this time. I posted it over in that thread.

It's actually not that difficult even without the air brush to be honest. Just takes a couple hours. The techniques she uses are pretty standard and fairly easy to replicate. I learned to paint sculpts just like this without videos like hers to go, by just from asking (at the time) the only custom artist I knew at the time for tips on both painting and sculpting. A video like this and the Superman one would have saved me some time. And I knew nothing about painting collectibles when I started. I used to use crushed up pastel and dry brush sculpts b/c I was scared of paint (since it seemed to permanent) and the pastels could be wiped off easily. I actually started with repainting 1/6 and 1/4 Sideshow pieces b/c of the big drop from proto to production piece.

The cool thing I did earn with these recent videos is the washing technique with the blue and yellows. I was aware ppl did that on silicone masks, statues etc but didn't know it would work similarly on plastic/ & poly stone pieces as well.

The bare sculpt looks pretty smooth, so I am pretty sure the texture is done by the air brush as well as the sponge technique.

I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't tried what you have done. But that's good to know, tho. That actually gives me courage to try it one day.

And I was totally impressed with the blue and yellow wash technique, too. The effect it had on the base skin tone was an eye opener. So cool!

I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't tried what you have done. But that's good to know, tho. That actually gives me courage to try it one day.

And I was totally impressed with the blue and yellow wash technique, too. The effect it had on the base skin tone was an eye opener. So cool!

The best advice I can give is buy some CHEAP heads on eBay to practice on. Once you have your technique down you'll be good to go. And you can always go back to older pieces and repainted them as you gain in experience. I've done it before. I've repainted my HT Superman Returns about 3 times now.

Before you start, just lightly wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol to remove oils so your primer will stick well enough. I use Army Painters flesh tone primer which gives my pieces enough texture so that once the layers of paint are on there you have the right amount of texture left.

While I'm always scared before I put the Primer on, once it is on, it totally gives me reason to do my best b/c there's no going back after that haha.

Ok... once I master this, I will learn how to do tattoos as well. Might as well =)

Ok... once I master this, I will learn how to do tattoos as well. Might as well =)

:lol I think painting sculpts is a lot easier to master than tats. Again, I started not knowing anything about it and was able to do it. Not saying that we should have to repaint these expensive statues by anymeans. There's nothing more that I love than opening a figure and statue and being completely impressed. It sucks to be like " well, I guess I'm going to have to repaint another one." But, it's a good skill to have when there's a chance for production pieces to come out subpar.

Hey you master painters above what does this have to do with ssc catfish HQ, are you going to paint all of our production peices so they look like the proto so we dont have to live with the imposter catfished (bait and switch) hq they send us

Back