Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are people generally not happy with this because there was a lot of build up around it finally shipping and anticipating seeing photos pour in and now that he's shipped this thread just died.

As you can see, I don't post here often, but I felt compelled to respond to this. I received my Godzilla maquette last week, and it was about as big of a let down as you can possibly imagine. Just awful. I spent $850 (including shipping) on something that looked like it was painted on a quickly moving assembly line by a 5 year old with two shades of matte gray paint and a fat brush. Just a horrible gray blob from top to bottom. No detail whatsoever.

Even the sculpt was quite soft and lacking in fine detail, like something bad happened in the molding process.

The worse part of all is that I will be out well over $100 in shipping fees when this is all said and done. It cost a lot more to ship back than I got charged from Sideshow to send it to me. Money flushed down the toilet. Sideshow really should be ashamed at what they delivered to those of us who purchased this $800 mess. Eight hundred dollars. Just ugh. And I was really really looking forward to this piece.

I cancelled a few other pre-orders I had with SS because of this. They need to get their act together.

Buyer beware. :mad:

As you can see, I don't post here often, but I felt compelled to respond to this. I received my Godzilla maquette last week, and it was about as big of a let down as you can possibly imagine. Just awful. I spent $850 (including shipping) on something that looked like it was painted on a quickly moving assembly line by a 5 year old with two shades of matte gray paint and a fat brush. Just a horrible gray blob from top to bottom. No detail whatsoever.

Even the sculpt was quite soft and lacking in fine detail, like something bad happened in the molding process.

The worse part of all is that I will be out well over $100 in shipping fees when this is all said and done. It cost a lot more to ship back than I got charged from Sideshow to send it to me. Money flushed down the toilet. Sideshow really should be ashamed at what they delivered to those of us who purchased this $800 mess. Eight hundred dollars. Just ugh. And I was really really looking forward to this piece.

I cancelled a few other pre-orders I had with SS because of this. They need to get their act together.

This was my assumption even before I read what you had posted above.
I think collectors are upset at the final product they got. Hoping that once in-hand, the piece would look better up close opposed to just seeing it in pictures.
This is a lot of money for what it is. Sorry you feel this way zadmax and I hope you're able to recover financially, that is, at least get back what you spent on it.

Ouch :lol

This was my assumption even before I read what you had posted above.
I think collectors are upset at the final product they got. Hoping that once in-hand, the piece would look better up close opposed to just seeing it in pictures.
This is a lot of money for what it is. Sorry you feel this way zadmax and I hope you're able to recover financially, that is, at least get back what you spent on it.

Yeah, I was not sold on this from the jump, so had it on order at BBTS. Once I saw the early pic's, I could not cancel fast enough. I am down for the smaller version though. Hopefully it comes out a bit better.

It was just way too much money for what you are getting. I think that has been the concensus for awhile though.

Yeah I keep coming back here hoping to see news or look for a bit of info on the smaller version. Even if this piece came out awesome, I don't have 800 bucks, plus with a few other things on order. I agree really hoping the smaller version does justice to what could be an awesome piece.

I like mine. Like I said earlier, it has more presence than my Hulk Maquette. It's huge and the pose is really awesome. I think people who are keeping their statues are just tired of interacting with others who speak negatively, largely using hyperbole, and often haven't seen the statute first hand.

Godzilla Marquette was my first direct pre order from Sideshow. It was a birthday gift for myself even though the price point was ridiculously high. After seeing the final production pictures, I couldn't wait to cancel, and luckily I could without a penalty. It was such a disappointment. How did the prices go so high so quick over the last couple of years, and yet the quality has deteriorated. I remember a 1/6th scale Dewback was only $299.99 and the quality on that piece is amazing. At the end, it is all about greed. More profit, cut cost, and let the customers down. Not going to survive in the long run with a strategy like that. A new management team is in order.

I think you haven't noticed the amount of other quality pieces that have been made in the last year. People just need to realize that not every piece will end up being a grand slam. There are hits and misses as with every company ever. Just the way it is.

I like mine. Like I said earlier, it has more presence than my Hulk Maquette. It's huge and the pose is really awesome. I think people who are keeping their statues are just tired of interacting with others who speak negatively, largely using hyperbole, and often haven't seen the statute first hand.

Nah, I'm gonna say they prolly feel humiliated for settling for an $850 dollar giant piece of vinyl, because that's exactly what it is. To include the base. The base (including all the rubble) is one big piece of molded hollowed-out plastic that can literally be used for a hand drum. Godzilla himself is the exact same way as the base...hollowed out plastic. And yes I saw it, held it, and felt it in person.

I never got a chance to see the MoS or the Reve PF the way I got to see Godzilla in person, but I can tell why so many collectors were so disappointed in the quality of those two. Seeing pictures is one thing, but I can only imagine how they looked and felt in person. Godzilla is no different from those two....believe me when I tell you that. There is no way in hell it's worth $850. I wouldn't even pay half of that for it.

I think you haven't noticed the amount of other quality pieces that have been made in the last year. People just need to realize that not every piece will end up being a grand slam. There are hits and misses as with every company ever. Just the way it is.

That's true, but THIS one is a big miss. There should be a direct correlation between how much you pay and the value that you gain. It's amazing how many are in simple denial. The Godzilla Marquette is overpriced given its quality. Sideshow has produced many high quality products, but this isn't one of them. If you bought and love it, more power to you, but don't defend Sideshow blindly because it has become very greedy with their price points.

Nah, I'm gonna say they prolly feel humiliated for settling for an $850 dollar giant piece of vinyl, because that's exactly what it is. To include the base. The base (including all the rubble) is one big piece of molded hollowed-out plastic that can literally be used for a hand drum. Godzilla himself is the exact same way as the base...hollowed out plastic. And yes I saw it, held it, and felt it in person.

I never got a chance to see the MoS or the Reve PF the way I got to see Godzilla in person, but I can tell why so many collectors were so disappointed in the quality of those two. Seeing pictures is one thing, but I can only imagine how they looked and felt in person. Godzilla is no different from those two....believe me when I tell you that. There is no way in hell it's worth $850. I wouldn't even pay half of that for it.

I must feel so humiliated and settled because you don't like it :rolleyes2

That's true, but THIS one is a big miss. There should be a direct correlation between how much you pay and the value that you gain. It's amazing how many are in simple denial. The Godzilla Marquette is overpriced given its quality. Sideshow has produced many high quality products, but this isn't one of them. If you bought and love it, more power to you, but don't defend Sideshow blindly because it has become very greedy with their price points.

The foregoing post and the one by BobaNerd is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to engage in dialogue on this thread. As someone who purchased the piece and is keeping it, I like it. I'm a huge Godzilla fan so that may be part of it. For me getting the biggest statue of Godzilla from the 2014 movie is a big deal. I will say I think it's overpriced, but I think my Hulk Maquette, which is great, is overpriced too. Most of the large statues are overpriced and likely have more profit built into the price; but that's just the way it goes.

The foregoing post and the one by BobaNerd is one of the reasons I'm reluctant to engage in dialogue on this thread. As someone who purchased the piece and is keeping it, I like it. I'm a huge Godzilla fan so that may be part of it. For me getting the biggest statue of Godzilla from the 2014 movie is a big deal. I will say I think it's overpriced, but I think my Hulk Maquette, which is great, is overpriced too. Most of the large statues are overpriced and likely have more profit built into the price; but that's just the way it goes.

Hey, if you bought it and love it, good for you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. That's what the forum is all about. Putting emotional factors aside (love and hate), the fact remains that it is overpriced in relative terms, and the quality is poor based on universal standards. So, when we're simply stating the facts, please don't hate.

I don't think you are too far off in your assessment leprechaun. I love Godzilla. I was terribly disappointed with this when I got it. I really felt I got ripped off, but then I spent an hour dry brushing it (pictures posted previously). I got it out today just to put a few more finishing touches on it. My feelings have changed. I know that you shouldn't have to do what I did, not that it's difficult, but the piece isn't garbage by a long shot. It sure didn't take much to take this thing from dud to dazzler.

Hey, if you bought it and love it, good for you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. That's what the forum is all about. Putting emotional factors aside (love and hate), the fact remains that it is overpriced in relative terms, and the quality is poor based on universal standards. So, when we're simply stating the facts, please don't hate.

I think you need to read through the last couple pages of posts and question who you should be asking not to hate.

Also, "relative terms" and "opinions" are not facts. Even those opinions which I share with you, such as that this piece is overpriced (as are most expensive statutes in the industry) are not fact -- they are simply opinion; and when those opinions are shared by many they are still opinions and not facts.

I guess I'm just a simple guy with a simple mind. If it smells like *****, and it looks like *****, then it must be *****. Opinion or fact? You decide.

Overpriced is relative. There aren't many collectibles that, in comparison to what the same money could buy elsewhere, don't seem to cost more than they should for what you're getting.

There's also personal value. I spent something like $400 to get the Godzilla 1954 head that came with the Japanese DVD collection, it's minimal paint work, all plastic and vinyl, hollow, probably not worth more than $100 in materials, but, the personal satisfaction I get seeing it on display is worth more than what I paid, so I don't think about the cost.

The way I've always looked at is is, when you start to think about how much you paid for something and questioning if it's worth it, the piece probably doesn't mean that much to you, I find that the joy of a collectible wipes money off your mind. How many of us haven gotten pieces that made us think "I'd have paid ten times as much to get this, this is amazing!"

I love Godzilla and there are aspects to this statue I like a lot, but the shortcomings, for me, push it in the realm of questioning the expense of it. The new statue on the other hand, I don't know what it's going to cost but I'd pay anything for it, the real challenge is will I actually have that mush to spend when time comes to pay up :lol

Back