Sideshow GODZILLA Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics! I think everyone will agree he isn't worth $800, but if you are a true fan of Godzilla, I would think this is still a must have, post custom paint job or not. I still think it's awesome, and there is still the fact that there are only 750 of them.

sculpt, paintjob... all horrible! $800 for that dustgrey piece of resin? It´s a shame sideshow!

Thanks for the pics. He could certainly look worse. I see no major flaws, botched paint, bland as it may be, or crossed eyes. I love me some Jira, but I am glad I cancelled.

I would love to see this next to the likes of either Hulk PF or Lobo. It seemed so huge at SDCC. Now, in all these pics, it doesn't seem so big.

I'm a big fan of Godzilla as everybody knows...but this was never on my radar. It didn't capture the likeness in the face enough. The paint is boring. It isn't a must have by any means. Just cause this is the first hollywood film since 1998 doesn't mean that there hasn't been a slew of merchandise that is better than this.

For 2014 I'll stick with this:
214a2bcf87cbcd934e6a4c1f9cfd64c2.jpg

For must-have...

a577df2ae71345e18d3efd5d2e1eb5ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The base feels kind of cheap. It feels like a rubbery type plastic. Godzilla feels more dense, but he's probably the same material.

View attachment 196806

This makes me wonder, if Godzilla is cast in a different material, could that be part of the lacking detail. Not that the prototype was heavy, but the production almost seems like a softer version of that.

Also, not helping this piece, the eyes are not painted right, Sideshow made them red for some reason, they should be yellow.

19673556895_d501f1694d_o.jpg

if you are a true fan of Godzilla, I would think this is still a must have, post custom paint job or not.

Why do people measure fandom by what you own or want. I have a family I have to provide for and make just enough for a comfortable living and get to buy maybe 1 or 2 collectibles a year, it was a big deal to spend $60 last year on the the NECA 24" 2014 Godzilla. I'd wager I'm probably more a fan of Godzilla than a lot of people who can and are buying this statue, some people just buy because they can.

I don't care, if people can afford this and want it, great, doesn't make them bigger or others lesser fans.

If I could spend this money without a care, I'd probably get this. Is it a must have, no, it falls short of things I care more about in my Godzillas. I have favorite designs of Godzilla and I prefer high levels of accuracy to the film designs most often. The pose on this statue is cool, so I'd consider it under the right circumstances, but as far as must haves, the X-Plus Godzilla 2014 and the newest Sideshow Godzilla are much more must have pieces.

Everybody's opinion on must haves is different. I'm a huge Godzilla fan and because of the size, sculpt, base, pose and film accuracy this my must have. X plus looks like a detailed toy and the new statue looks like a disproportionate Godzilla on a red billboard base. But it's all a matter of opinion. With respect to price.. my expensive pieces (Hulk maquette, Smaug) I am happy with but they all feel a little overpriced.

Thanks for the pics. He could certainly look worse. I see no major flaws, botched paint, bland as it may be, or crossed eyes.
I would love to see this next to the likes of either Hulk PF or Lobo. It seemed so huge at SDCC. Now, in all these pics, it doesn't seem so big.

Here is an image I made to compare him with Gladiator Hulk, a while back -
qdopcv0.jpg

Godzilla does actually seem bigger, in person. His tail is also pretty massive.The base is pretty big, too. If you look at my images, you'll see a 27" display behind him in some of the photos. That gives you an idea of scale/width. The more I look at it the more I like it. It isn't horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not perfect either. Displayed in the right setting, he'd be very impressive. I had to take my photos fast in crappy light, and on a desk, so he does look a little better than shown. With a perfect paint job, he'd wow everyone who saw it. Bland is the current paint app, but not horrible, or even close to that.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my "Must have" reference. If you have the money, get it, if you have the money and still don't think it's worth it, cool, don't get it, get the X-Plus. The X-Plus looks fantastic, but it's still pretty much just a very detailed expensive figure/toy. I want both the X-Plus and the SS Maquette. I agree with Pilky on how the SS Maquette is pretty much like a museum piece of G14. The light paint app resembles that of when he probably emerged from all the city dusty rubble from the movie, therefore he is covered in light debris and dust, hence the base being a pile of rubble, it fits him. People are going to like what they like, and spend the money on what they deem worth it. I thought about cancelling mine, but after seeing new pics and more positives than negatives here, I'm glad I didn't cancel. My only gripe at this point is how he comes in one piece, that tail worries me, I wonder how many people may get theirs with the tail broken off from rough shipping, especially overseas.

Pilky, thank you for the pics and feedback.
I want a good piece to rep G14 in my collection.
Unfortunately for me, my opinion still stands. Details are too soft for my liking. Looks like the edges were shaped with bare hands, without the use of carving tools. I agree with an earlier assessment... Maybe custom paint will improve the overall appearance, by getting a dark wash around those edges. I don't know. But one shouldn't have to go that far at this price. More power to those that can appreciate and enjoy this piece.

A new paint job would enhance the sculptural details that are there, but it seems like areas like his neck have hardly any to bring out, maybe some fine lines but his neck has "scales" that are more than just lines in his skin. Like I've said, the new statue is a bit extreme in this regard, but if they're casting in a new material that loses detail in the process, then going extreme is necessary for the final product to be just right. HT does this with portraits all the time, their prototypes haver overly done skin texture but the final result in production is the perfect subtlty.

It looks horrible. Absolutely no depth to the paint or sculpt. One of Sideshow's worst IMO.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my "Must have" reference. If you have the money, get it, if you have the money and still don't think it's worth it, cool, don't get it, get the X-Plus. The X-Plus looks fantastic, but it's still pretty much just a very detailed expensive figure/toy. I want both the X-Plus and the SS Maquette. I agree with Pilky on how the SS Maquette is pretty much like a museum piece of G14. The light paint app resembles that of when he probably emerged from all the city dusty rubble from the movie, therefore he is covered in light debris and dust, hence the base being a pile of rubble, it fits him. People are going to like what they like, and spend the money on what they deem worth it. I thought about cancelling mine, but after seeing new pics and more positives than negatives here, I'm glad I didn't cancel. My only gripe at this point is how he comes in one piece, that tail worries me, I wonder how many people may get theirs with the tail broken off from rough shipping, especially overseas.

I didn't think about the dust part of the paint, but I don't know if they intended to do that.
The entire thing seems really durable. I had enough confidence in it to pick it up by one of the arms. The tail feels really strong, so I wouldn't worry about it at all.

As for someone else calling this one of Sideshow's worst. That's insane, but people are entitled to their opinions. The biggest complaint is the price. Had it been around $500 it probably would have sold out, long ago.

I don't see a single redeeming quality about this statue, and it's an entire $800. Almost 1 grand. So, I don't see how thinking it's one of Sideshow's worst is "insane".

For 2014 I'll stick with this:
214a2bcf87cbcd934e6a4c1f9cfd64c2.jpg

X-plus for the win.

Why does the maquette have red eyes? It's going from bad to worse. I hope the people who have bought it get the enjoyment they want from it. To me it seems a bizarre choice when the X-plus has a better sculpt, better paint and comes in at around $600 cheaper but to each their own. Those who do get it and dislike it though can't really complain though because we knew what it was going to be.

Last edited:
I don't see a single redeeming quality about this statue, and it's an entire $800. Almost 1 grand. So, I don't see how thinking it's one of Sideshow's worst is "insane".

Is your assessment of it's quality based on what it costs?

I definitely don't think it's worth $800, saying this in a position where I could hardly spend that sort of money on one thing.

However, looking at the piece simply for what it is, I wouldn't throw it in with Sideshow's worst pieces, it's nothing special by any means but it could be much worse.

I actually think it's one of Sideshow's best poses, an area where I feel they often go wrong in choice. The paint is lackluster but so is the actual creature. If the detail in the sculpt were stronger, I don't think the need for a higher level of paint would be felt. In the movie he pretty much looks flat grey all the time, it's the right textures throughout his body and the mix of shadows and highlights that give him his look.

It's on the edge of being a great piece I think, just needed a little extra pop to his skin detail and correct eye paint.

if you are a true fan of Godzilla...
... you wouldn't like this POS of a movie then. :lol

It looks horrible. Absolutely no depth to the paint or sculpt. One of Sideshow's worst.
Nah, they've done a lot of waaaaay worse pieces. It looks alright.
Price tag is the only out of place thing here, ridiculous even by Weta standards.

Is your assessment of it's quality based on what it costs?
It looks so bad that I wouldn't want to display it - regardless of it's cost. The pose is alright, not really bad or good IMO, but when you have a sculpt as soft and lacking-of-detail as that, and a paint job as bland and singular, I don't think it matters.

There are plenty of pieces that have awful QC problems, but this one looks pretty much like the prototype, and still looks horrid. That makes it one of Sideshow's worst from my point of view.

The X-Plus, movie (concept?) Maquette, and that high-end custom that Azurepred has, all have a very different paint app than this. They're a dark grey/blackish with a yellowish underbelly. They have detail and intricacy and much more closely resemble what I saw in the movie.

This thing has no color or depth. It doesn't even look painted. It's terrible, IMO.

Back