SIDESHOW ELITE 1:6 SCALE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you spend more for limited figures?

• I'll gladly spend more for elite quality figures.

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • I'll buy some, but I'm on a tight budget.

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • I think Sideshow's quality is fine now, not spending more.

Votes: 12 19.7%

• Total voters
I would gladly save my money on better 1/6 and spend it on the various PF lines I collect.

At the moment the only things the Sideshow 1/6 figures have going for them is nice headsculpts (when the production paintjobs don't ruin the sculpt),a good range of accessories and that they are reasonably priced,but that's not enough to constitute a quality product IMO.
The 1/6 figures I've bought from various Asian companies may have cost a lot more but the quality of the figures are in whole different league from Sideshow's. All the figures look virtually the same as the prototypes,are perfectly proportioned (no Bobble Heads or monkey arms) have wonderfully made outfits that fit properly and don't need soaking in water or some other BS just to get the clothes to look right and are on decent base bodies.
I paid $120 for Medicom's Jack Sparrow and a good deal more than that for the Enterbay Bruce Lee but I felt more ripped off with the Sideshow figures I bought for $50-$60 and I would gladly pay more if it meant better quality,especially for Star Wars figures.

I think that Sideshow is slowly moving their prices up, inch by inch, since they see the returns for Hot Toys, Medicom and other brand figures going well for so much. I'd hate it, as I love the days of $35 figures, but times, they are a changin'!

The other brand's Superman Returns is now going for huge amounts, and technically, Sideshow could easily make him, as he doesn't require armor.
I think any figure that requires extensive armor, and other such details, will bring in a $100 neighborhood type of price whatever it is.
When a 1/6 Vader, or Vaders, as there are several of course, are indeed released by Sideshow in those AWESOME Lords of the Sith boxes, then the brethren will skip lunches and trips to the gas station to get one. Plus, he's got to be in the pipeline sooner than later (as would be Boba Fett I would think) as both have less armored bits. Helmets, yes, but less armor, so they are emminently more produceable by Sideshow. And that is cool. No dissing SS.

So, would I pay more for them than the usual? Maybe, maybe not. If they really had some pull, some extra extra something, yes. I would. Even with my own custom 77 one, I would buy their's too.
It comes down to this...
I don't collect PF. So, of course I want these in 1/6.
But, there is a Vader PF, and he's cool. So, do I want one? Yes. That may be the only PF I have ever wanted. But, would I pass him up for some 1/6 Elite ones? Sure. That's my scale. And, I bet I am not the only one that collects just 1/6.

Whatever they do, to be honest, I wish them well on it, and I hope it's soon.
I think that an "Elite" format would indeed make such figures as an Origins Kurgan and others much more of a financial possibility than the way it stands now. I think Sideshow needs such a format to release some things that they so far haven't been able to. It's just pragmatics.

I have never been primarily a 12" figure collector. I like static sculpted pieces and have only picked up the Star Wars 12" figures because I'm a fan of the movies and characters, not the format itself. My favorite items are the 1/4 scale figures, and I would much rather pay more for one of those. Sideshow's current prices are about as much as I would pay for a 12" figure. As much as I love Boba Fett, I don't think I will even be getting one of the Medicom Fetts. I can't justify paying that much. Likewise, with the Grievous PF in my collection, I just wouldn't feel the need to pay $150-200 for an "elite" version in 1/6 scale. I understand that collectors who aren't into the PF line want the very best versions possible of their favorite characters, but I personally am content with them and won't pay too much for smaller versions. If the prices get too high on the existing 12" line then I will bail out and go exclusively with the premium format figures. So I voted for number three.

I just wonder at what price does the everyday 12" Star Wars collector get turned off and stops buying figures (I guess you answered that, Tom). I think this is something Sideshow has seriously considered. I'm sure they could sell 10,000 Vaders easily, but does setting the price too high cause them to sell far less? I'm sure there's a balance that has to be made.

I get turned off when regular editions keep inflating in price towards the $60 mark i.e. the Endor troop builders which I could not justify purchasing these lesser generic characters at that price point and the $25 gift card was not incentive enough to order the bundle, but I would gladly pay upwards of $100 for figures that have intricately sculpted armor plating and better paint aps. If they offered a Vader or Fett that is the 1:6 equivalent of the PF then I would have no problem justifying the increased price point. It will be interesting to see at what price point they set their Stormtroopers at. I foresee these starting at about the $75 mark but that's just my prediction.

I just think that Medicom prices are for the more dedicated/hard core collector. Sideshow's prices have allowed more casual 12" collectors (like myself) to get into the line, and I for one won't pay Medicom prices. If SS prices get too high then the casual collectors will back off, and I'm not sure they want that to happen. They have to balance the high end and mid range audience and try to find a happy medium that give as much quality as possible to the enthusiasts without charging a price that excludes the casual fans.

galactiboy said:
Right... like Jabba :rolleyes:
In fairness, they did break that set down into seperate components to suit different collector's needs. For the more casual Star Wars collectors like myself, you can just pick up Jabba, or Jabba and the little creatures. The hardcore fans can get the whole pricey diorama setup.

Medieval Kurgans helm looks like the one you receive from the Fighters Guild in Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV. I think it's called the BearClaw Helm...

So...the question becomes...did someone kill the Kurgan to get the helm or was it the other way around...mmmm

A real "What came first, the chicken or the egg question"

I'd spend more money on 1/6 figs, if their body and head sculpt improved. But at their current quality, a price increase is unacceptable. I still can't believe I am willing to pay $100 for Jabba, he looks pretty bad in the new pics. :monkey4

Pineapple said:
I would definitely pay $300+ for a 1:6 scale Endoskeleton and T-X Endoskeleton, if they were made from metal and fully articulated

Just buy the Aoshima version (95% die-cast) and save a couple hundred :D

I voted for "I'll buy some, but I'm on a tight budget".
This is a slippery slope, once Sideshow realizes that higher quality figures sell well, they might be inclined to move most of their releases into that category regardless whether or not the figure deserves the status. I'd pay more for the Medieval Kurgan, Frankenstein The Revenant, The Judge, Adam, and something on par with the 2001 space suits but not the same for a regular Buffy Summers or Angel figure.

I'd pay for a figure if the price was justified.

For example, Hot Toys' Predators are well worth their $130 price tag.

I think in the future you'll be seeing some kind of figure like this. Does anybody here really think that a 1:6 Vader is going to be the same price as a standard Star Wars 1:6 figure?

How much did this one cost?

review_supesreturns_3.jpg

Back