Statue Sideshow - Dinosauria - Gastonia Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, was holding out all these years on the Dinosauria line waiting for some actual JP licensed statues to be released, but now that they are I'm starting to regret my decision. The Dinosauria line look like majestic art pieces compared to Chronicle's JP pieces. Chronicle's work isn't bad, they just look kitschy to me.

Ugh...

Man, was holding out all these years on the Dinosauria line waiting for some actual JP licensed statues to be released, but now that they are I'm starting to regret my decision. The Dinosauria line look like majestic art pieces compared to Chronicle's JP pieces. Chronicle's work isn't bad, they just look kitschy to me.

Ugh...
Ssc dinosaur line and chronicles jp line are in 2 totally different ball games. I agree the ssc dinosaurs are beautiful and the sculpt is so detailed and aimed towards a realistic dinosaur approach. I think they are great! I just recently started getting them from ssc and its a nice changeup from my usual sci fi/comic statues.

Chronicles Jp is not bad but does not neccasarily go for realism imo, but rather the exageraated look of the movie. I just got in Chronicles Jp 1/5 trex bust and i like it! BUT its definately short on the realist look. Its a FUN bust though and for that it stays in my colection.

By contrast I recently got in the ssc tyrant king t-rex and that thing looks like it could be displayed behind glass in the musueum of natural history! I love that piece, looks real and very detailed! Love it!

Its not too late to get ssc dinos, there are 3 available right now (including tyrant king) and of course gastonia on pre order.... all 3 currently available look amazing!!! Start off with the tyrant king and youll soon be hooked!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Wel long story short... the Sideshow Dinosauria line is a fine line (I own all that's from the 19 pieces left and are for sale) but the problem with the Chronicle line is... that actualy comparison material because you have reference material from the movie....
The Dinosauria line is all made up by Sideshow.

Little off topic message but this is the most recent Dinosauria topic.

For all Dinosauria Collectors especialy Bob and Dinokiwi!
Don't buy this one on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/162321699326

It's a fake recast, not the original.

Regards

Honestly if it was for the right price (like half of what he's asking for now) I'd get it anyway. I want that piece so badly. Although in the flash photos it looks awful.

Has anyone sourced a place to get plastic plants for a background for these pieces....to get that prehistoric jungle look? I suppose any plastic potted plants might work, just wondering if anyone has gotten any cool plastic plants that might work for the backdrop.

Post up some pics and where you got them if you have!

Well I guess no one knew of a hobby source to get prehistoric looking plants so I just used fake grass and artificial regular plants in my display. I think it turned out pretty well. It obscures some of the dinosaurs body but that gives it a different look as well....I like to the look overall.

DSCN6131.jpg

DSCN6133.jpg

DSCN6134.jpg

Trex isn't finished yet, have to buy some more plants....
DSCN6130.jpg

Ugh...

Apples and oranges.
I love both lines and I think the dinosauria line has fantastic sculptures but sadly enough almost all of the latest releases have been ruined by horrible production paintjobs.
So sad to see this happen cause the earlier pieces were very well painted...repaints of earlier releases are truly horrible and don't get me started on newer releases such as the Triceratops,Ceratosaurus,etc....the prototypes looked all great but the production pieces came out really bad.
Chronicle JP pieces are very accurate to source material and are potraying key scenes from the movies.How can these look 'kitschy' when you look at the exact same thing as seen on screen,equally as detailed!?

Please look at the production piece of the breakout T-rex and tell me again if you think it looks 'kitschy'...

https://www.facebook.com/chroniclec...578460601995/1810051479254689/?type=2&theater

Last edited:
I agree they are two very different looks but personally I like the Sideshow "realistic" interpretation better than Chronicles JP Dinos.

I don't know about the earlier pieces of SSC as I don't have them and have not seen them in person but I like their current releases. The T-Rex is amazing and the sculpt is awesome! Paint app is great on that too I really don't have much complainants. I like the Triceratops too, its great too what's wrong with it? Wish I got in on the Ex for the baby triceratops vs the rocks lol.

Chronicles obviously goes with the movie look and if that's your thing great but Breakout T-Rex vs SSCs T-Rex, I'd take SSCs anyday. It looks kinda *meh* to me unless again you are going for a pure movie sculpt. As far as a realistic looking TRex SSC wins that imo. Also, I saw a preview of their Stegosaurus and wasn't impressed with that at all... looks pretty bland to me, paint and sculpt wise and that was the proto that was shown.

I have the Chronicles 1/5 T-Rex head and though I do like it and think its a fun piece, the sculpt and paint on that I don't think compares to the detail and paint on the ssc pieces.

I get what he means by kitschy compared to the SSC line.... but again they are 2 very different lines, preference really depends on the museum look vs JP look.

Of course the SSC dinosaur releases are more realistic than anything CC will ever release cause that is the whole goal of the Dinosauria line...that goes without saying.
If people only like realistic looking dinosaurs then they shouldn't even bring up JP dinosaurs and certainly not comparing the two.Like I said SSC apples (realistic approach to dinosaurs) and CC oranges (non-realistic,movie approach to dinosaurs).
But saying that the CC pieces don't compare in detail and paintapplication to SSC is just not the truth.I have pieces of both lines and from what I've seen in the CC FB video the breakout rex looks just as detailed and well painted as the CC male T-rex bust.Not something I can say about the latest releases from the Sideshow dinosauria line.The SSC T-rex paintjob was very good but take a look at the painted patterns on the back of the Triceratops,Styracosaurus(new paint),Carnotaurus(new paint),etc... and also on their latest release the Ceratosaurus.Those thick lines look so unnatural and 'kitschy' it makes me feel very sad to see such beautifull sculpts ruined by amateurish PJ's.But that's just my POV of course.

Last edited:
Shorter said: Chronicle needs to be movie accurate to the paint and designs...while Sideshow can do whatever they want because there is no reference material.

well their reference is hopefully the most current idea paleontologist have as to how they looked. Obviously nobody has seen one alive so its really an educated guess, personally I enjoy both but like the dinosauria line more because it has that more real look.

I simply adore Sideshow Dinosauria line. As some of you have said, SC managed with the best paleo-artists in the world to give life to these majestic animals that dominated the Earth about 65 million years ago. SC made the best choice possible. They chose the best artists in the world to use their full potential in their art. I have enormous confidence in the accuracy of these artists, especially Jorge Blanco, which I know him. He's a great man with great character. Jorge has the grace to bring to life his sculptures.

About Chronicle Collectibles can tell that I love what they do only because the Original movie Jurassic Park, which is part of my childhood. Maybe from this film I started to love so much dinosaurs, even if dinosaurs are not perfect accurate... but the first feeling I can not ever forget that. From my Love nostalgia for my childhood, I ordered Breakout T-rex from their company.

Should be glad that we have two choices. When I was a kid or a JP fan, I prefer CC's, because I don't care what dinosaur should REALLY look like, I just want dinosaurs from JP movie.
But when I grow up, I want more, I also need mature and precisely made statue, that is SS. Different age or different interest cause in different preference.

Back on Gastonia, looks like (or I just missed it) Sideshow set the production run to only 200 pieces. Seems about right.

That's pretty low. Looking under the base of the guys I have, they were routinely 1000 runs with other like the triceratops being 500 and the last one, the Ceratosaurus being 750.

Wonder if they just aren't selling that well anymore. Either way, I hope we continue to get more, even if it's down to one per year now.

Back