Sideshow Darth Maul Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow’s first production head sculpt is fantastic. I’ve seen the paint work of the recent second run and for some reason there was a big change in the paint application and it’s not good.

I should point out my most recent images are using the Hot Toys robes and inner shirt, Sideshow’s outfit is too form fitting.

Sideshow?s first production head sculpt is fantastic. I?ve seen the paint work of the recent second run and for some reason there was a big change in the paint application and it?s not good.

I should point out my most recent images are using the Hot Toys robes and inner shirt, Sideshow?s outfit is too form fitting.

Awesome and thanks for the heads up about the difference in paint apps. No idea what version I got but hopefully the first run. If not, I'll just touch up the paint.

I'm sure I'll be fine with Sideshow's outfit. I'm not a huge stickler for accuracy when it comes to SW characters. As long as it looks like who it's supposed to I'm usually fine.

Really, the body was my biggest complaint with that figure (aside from the price point compared to what was included), and it wasn't terrible. One of the better ones by Sideshow.

Yea that's what it looks like to me. Good figure just a bad body which isn't surprising as I've switched out the body on every Sideshow figure I've ever owned, so not that big of deal. And with how much money I saved on the figure, I can invest in a HT Darth Maul Solo body. I'll just have to put a magnet in the Sideshow head to make it work right and switch-out the lower half with a regular body, but that shouldn't be a problem. It'll be cool to have the tattooed torso even if you won't really be able to see it.

Last edited:
The Sideshow outfit looks good enough, for me, Maul is one of my most favorite characters in all movies, not just Star Wars, so taking the look of the figure just a bit further was important to me. Would still love to have the HT head with the eyes some day.

Just picked this guy up from eBay for only $112 and change. Not bad considering what some ppl are trying to sell it for. Looking forward to seeing what I can do with it to bring it up to snuff.

Also, amazing pics as always MaulFan :clap They helped persuade me that this could work with a little effort, so thanks :hi5:

Congrats! You got a fantastic figure for a steal.

Having this SS version, I felt no need to "upgrade" to the Hot Toys release (except that I would have loved to have picked up just the speeder alone...)

SS version has its nits but overall, a great, although bare-boned figure. I think the head sculpt is closer to capturing Ray Park than the HT one.

The Sideshow outfit looks good enough, for me, Maul is one of my most favorite characters in all movies, not just Star Wars, so taking the look of the figure just a bit further was important to me. Would still love to have the HT head with the eyes some day.
I totally get that. I'm the same when it comes to Jack Sparrow and Superman. With those characters I have to get as accurate (to my eye) as I can with them b/c with them it definitely matters to me. I think we all probably have a handful of characters we go a little nuts over when it comes to the details which is partly what makes this hobby so great. Unless you're into TDK Joker :lol I'd take the folks who obsess over Indy and Vader over the TDK Joker nuts :lol
Congrats! You got a fantastic figure for a steal.

Having this SS version, I felt no need to "upgrade" to the Hot Toys release (except that I would have loved to have picked up just the speeder alone...)

SS version has its nits but overall, a great, although bare-boned figure. I think the head sculpt is closer to capturing Ray Park than the HT one.

Thanks! It's sort of funny, I missed out on the EX last week which went for $160 I think and was pretty bummed but then this one popped up and was able to snipe it in the end with a few seconds left. The price was just too good.

I agree about the headsculpt. From the pics I've seen, it really looks like one of Sideshows best efforts. And I oddly enough, already have the HT DX wristlink arm guard that I'm sure I'll be able to use on this as well as the half saber light up arm. I just need a cloak and the binoculars that I'll hopefully be able to pick up at a relatively decent price and I'll be good to go.

I had the DX17 on WL at SS just in case I couldn't find an SS version for a good price, but I really didn't want the speeder as I wouldn't have anywhere to display it. So, thankfully it all seems to have worked out.

I have the SS maul and I chose it over the hot toys version due to the better headsculpt and the leaner look. I am sure the hot toys is the better figure overall, but the bulkiness and the headsculpt just made it so that the SS version was my choice. I still love the figure and it remains the centerpiece of my Maul wall.....that is until my solo maul arrives.

I have the SS maul and I chose it over the hot toys version due to the better headsculpt and the leaner look. I am sure the hot toys is the better figure overall, but the bulkiness and the headsculpt just made it so that the SS version was my choice. I still love the figure and it remains the centerpiece of my Maul wall.....that is until my solo maul arrives.

I've had and sold both. I was more impressed with the Sideshow for the reasons you mentioned. Hot Toys was a terrific package and has sharper details on accessories and it felt more solid overall (better body for sure), but I was just never sold on how it looked on the shelf from a few feet away like I was with the Sideshow. I've decided to not collect PT for space reasons otherwise I would pick up the SS again. The red face paint also pops more on the shelf.

IMG_20210321_211207_760.jpg

Solo Maul sculpt is too big for this figure. I had planned on doing the same and no dice. At least to me it doesn’t look right on this figure

I purchased a separate muscular body as well that I will re-paint a tatooed torso and use the SS parts

cool, I hope it works out for you. I tried to do my own custom by using the Solo Maul head and body with the SS clothing but the clothing was too small for the Solo body, particularly around the chest and waist.

cool, I hope it works out for you. I tried to do my own custom by using the Solo Maul head and body with the SS clothing but the clothing was too small for the Solo body, particularly around the chest and waist.

Matrix was able to execute this (Solo Maul thread)--I hope I don't have to alter the body too much--but will if necessary. Planning a full torso exposed set up with tunic and boots from SS version much like he did. (we will see how my painting goes! lol)

Recently, I purchased the 2006 SSC Maul exclusive figure off ebay for a really good deal to part out for a custom, but I just now put the cape on the newer SSC Maul... and it really isn't that great? The material looks nice, and maybe if I wanted to spend time stitching the hood down in spots, it might look better. My cheap ass 1998 Hasbro figure cloak looks much better. Has anyone managed to get the 2006 SSC cloak hood to look decent?

That hood does suck. The hot toys hood looks the best. I recommend trying to find a parted out one on eBay. The medicom hood also looks better than the old sideshow one.

The Medicom hood looks nice, the robe is a bit tight, it’s what I use for my Maul, may still try to get an HT some day, just low on the list of priorities to give my budget to.

Back