Premium Format Sideshow Bane Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here ...and hoping they don't mix-media anything else on Bane ...a la Evil-Lyn style.

Except for the fact that the rest of the DC comic line is out of scale, especially Batman. They're bigger than 1:4 (regardless of what people say to justify their purchase), so the real issue is not Darkseid on himself - it's Darkseid when you pair him up with the others. Scale will look all messed up when you put it next to Batman

Darkseid is a little bigger then Batman and that's perfect. I don't see anyone making a better Darkseid for a very long time.

People still complaining about the size of a classic inspired Darkseid? :lol

People still deny that he is undersized to the JLA PFs he is supposed to compliment? :lol

I am going to go ahead and bet that another Darkseid in a size comparable to Bane is not coming out anytime soon. See you in 7 to 10 years (may be) Darkseid...

People still deny that he is undersized to the JLA PFs he is supposed to compliment? :lol

I am going to go ahead and bet that another Darkseid in a size comparable to Bane is not coming out anytime soon. See you in 7 to 10 years (may be) Darkseid...

I thought people were more upset that he was undersized for SS's asking price. The classic Darkseid is only slightly larger than the other heroes. The New 52 made him monstrous, like the upcoming Prime 1 and XM pieces.

dcuc_olr8.jpg

I thought people were more upset that he was undersized for SS's asking price.

I think the price was also a concern, but not fitting with the rest of the JLA collection was a bigger issue to some. Hence why so many passed on such a high profile character as evidence by the ES.

I don't recall seeing Darkseid advertised as Modern or Classic when it went up for sale. Those variants usually come after the fact like blue Bats and purple Catwoman.

I think the price was also a concern, but not fitting with the rest of the JLA collection was a bigger issue to some. Hence why so many passed on such a high profile character as evidence by the ES.

I don't recall seeing Darkseid advertised as Modern or Classic when it went up for sale. Those variants usually come after the fact like blue Bats and purple Catwoman.

I just meant "classic" as in the original Kirby New Gods costume, which was used up until the Jim Lee New 52 redesign, which had the shoulder pads and gold accents. Kirby drew him just large enough to be imposing, but his size fluctuated between artists, kind of like the Juggernaut and Hulk.

I just meant "classic" as in the original Kirby New Gods costume, which was used up until the Jim Lee New 52 redesign, which had the shoulder pads and gold accents. Kirby drew him just large enough to be imposing, but his size fluctuated between artists, kind of like the Juggernaut and Hulk.

I follow what you are saying. The previous comments are in reference to Darkseid being more Kirby (or classic) influenced therefore justifying his size.

Size of the characters as they are drawn will fluctuate from character to character, but for the purposes of the PF line of statues the bar was set by the current JLA statues. The next statue that comes has to keep up with the sizes that you have established. Of course, it's easier for many to flip it and say that what's out already is oversized and Darkseid is just fine.

There is no flipping classic Darkseid's size. This is a classic Darkseid. Forget Kirby. Pick an artist that drew Darkseid in the 80's and 90's. Which one drew him as huge as a house? Was it Byrne? Was it Perez? How about Giffen? Ordaway? No. None of those artists drew a HUGE Darkseid. He was normal sized but a bit thicker than a character like Superman. Look up any of those artists and see how big Darkseid was drawn back in the day. I can understand if peeps are disappointed that the Darkseid PF isn't HUGE. Well, those collectors can wait until a NEW 52 Darkseid PF is released. For those that can't wait, Prime 1 is releasing a New 52 Darkseid that's as big as a house with an attached garage. There is no scale issue with the classic Darkseid PF.

If you say so. This is one of those debates like the GL PF that wasn't undersized and fit just perfectly with the rest of the JLA....and then Sideshow made a proper one because everyone knew it didn't fit. Hell, the ES on that first PF would have been higher on it if it was acceptable for a JLA display. People voted with the preorder numbers on that one and the Darkseid exclusives.

This is what I think of "classic" non-Kirby non-New 52 Darkseid in relation to Superman. Take the current Superman PF and scale accordingly. You do not get what's currently being offered by Sideshow. This is why I think they could not afford to make the same mistake with Bane PF. Collectors have shown that size does matter when thinking of a display.

2281806-supermanconfidential08_19.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

dc-comics-collectibles-classic-confrontations-superman-vs-darkseid-statue-12-5-57449c61ce4d9740677a1ee175caa8b1.jpg

If you say so. This is one of those debates like the GL PF that wasn't undersized and fit just perfectly with the rest of the JLA....and then Sideshow made a proper one because everyone knew it didn't fit. Hell, the ES on that first PF would have been higher on it if it was acceptable for a JLA display. People voted with the preorder numbers on that one and the Darkseid exclusives.

This is what I think of "classic" non-Kirby non-New 52 Darkseid in relation to Superman. Take the current Superman PF and scale accordingly. You do not get what's currently being offered by Sideshow. This is why I think they could not afford to make the same mistake with Bane PF. Collectors have shown that size does matter when thinking of a display.

2281806-supermanconfidential08_19.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

dc-comics-collectibles-classic-confrontations-superman-vs-darkseid-statue-12-5-57449c61ce4d9740677a1ee175caa8b1.jpg

You are comparing apples to oranges. GL has been the same size consistently through the years. The original GL PF is slightly undersized. That PF received extreme criticism from the get go. Many peeps didn't like it for numerous reasons and slammed it from the moment it was previewed. The original Deadpool PF was also undersized but there has hardly been any mention of it. Why? Because peeps loved the look of that piece overall and it was given a pass.

As for Darkseid. The picture you posted doesn't invalidate what I originally said. Since he was introduced, he has varied in size wildly. The Perez, Byrne, Ordway, Giffen, and Kirby Darkseid was slightly taller than Supes but with more girth. That's just the way he was drawn back then. In the last 15 or so years he has gradually been increased in size until we have the HUGE Darkseid we see today. If that's the Darkseid you like or prefer, that's OK. That doesn't mean that since his introduction by Kirby that he hasn't been drawn by artists as slightly taller than Supes for decades. That's the Darkseid we are getting from SSC. That doesn't make his scale wrong. You (and other collectors) just want a more modern looking Darkseid and I have no issue with that. However, that doesn't mean the Darkseid we are getting from SSC is out of scale. It's not when you compare him to the way he was drawn in the 70's, 80's, and most of the 90's. So long as Darkseid is slightly larger than the Supes PF and has more girth, he's spot on to the way artists have drawn him for decades. Darkseid is much like Thanos in that regard. When Thanos was introduced by Starlin he was a little taller than Warlock or the Silver Surfer. Ron Lim drew him the same way 2 decades later. Now, he's as big as the Hulk. He's monstrous in size now when compared to his appearance in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. He's as big as a house now. However, for many comics fans, the Starlin and Lim Thanos is the quintessential Thanos. Bottom line, both Darkseid and Thanos have varied in size over the decades they have been around. I actually prefer the Darkseid that SSC gave us over a HUGE Darkseid more current comics readers are used to.

As for Bane. The same holds true. Look at Bane when he first appeared in comics. Graham Nolan NEVER drew Bane the way he's drawn today. He was originally portrayed as a large body builder when he gets juiced up on venom. Nolan basically drew him like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Then along comes Kelly Jones and Bane is now drawn like the HULK by just about everyone. I actually prefer the original Bane to the HULK sized Bane we see today. SSC didn't give us that Bane. So, I can either pass on Bane or just deal with the fact that I'm going to display a Bane that's going to be as big as the HULK. However, if SSC did decide to release a Bane PF inspired by Nolan's art, it wouldn't make him out of scale or undersized. You (and others) may not like that version of Bane but that doesn't mean he would not be in scale. The same holds true for Darkseid.

As for Darkseid. The picture you posted doesn't invalidate what I originally said. Since he was introduced, he has varied in size wildly. The Perez, Byrne, Ordway, Giffen, and Kirby Darkseid was slightly taller than Supes but with more girth. That's just the way he was drawn back then. In the last 15 or so years he has gradually been increased in size until we have the HUGE Darkseid we see today. If that's the Darkseid you like or prefer, that's OK. That doesn't mean that since his introduction by Kirby that he hasn't been drawn by artists as slightly taller than Supes for decades. That's the Darkseid we are getting from SSC. That doesn't make his scale wrong. You (and other collectors) just want a more modern looking Darkseid and I have no issue with that. However, that doesn't mean the Darkseid we are getting from SSC is out of scale.

We can agree to disagree. I'll wait to see some side by side pics. :wave

We can agree to disagree. I'll wait to see some side by side pics. :wave

As will I. If he's smaller than Supes, I'll be pissed. If he's slightly larger (with more girth obviously), I'm all good. Either way, I definitely think he was overpriced (for his size) when the statue was put up for PO. That was my only complaint with the piece.

To be honest, I never thought Green Lantern was undersized. It's just that Batman is freaking huge, and when paired together it seems like GL is undersized. Which is why nobody mentions Deadpool being undersized, he fits in with Marvel pieces.
But the Batman pf is ridicolously huge and massive, he's as bulky as the Hulk Maquette. But everybody bought it and since there are more collectors with the Batman pf than collectors with GL pf, they voiced their opinion much louder because they didn't want to admit that their Batman pf is grossly oversized.

Batman PF is a little larger than normal. How the heck does he swing on those cable/ropes thing is questionable. But w/e, done is done.

To be honest, I never thought Green Lantern was undersized. It's just that Batman is freaking huge, and when paired together it seems like GL is undersized. Which is why nobody mentions Deadpool being undersized, he fits in with Marvel pieces.
But the Batman pf is ridicolously huge and massive, he's as bulky as the Hulk Maquette. But everybody bought it and since there are more collectors with the Batman pf than collectors with GL pf, they voiced their opinion much louder because they didn't want to admit that their Batman pf is grossly oversized.

I have both the Bats and GL PFs in my collection. Bats is definitely a little larger than 1/4 scale. He towers over most other 1/4 pieces. It doesn't bother me at all because I like a bigger Bats and it gives the piece a lot of presence IMO. I actually like the fact that he has more girth than the Superman PF. The GL PF is a little undersized just like Deadpool. It's not glaring but it is there. An additional issue with GL is the pose and the base. He's leaning forward considerably and his base isn't as tall as the Trinity's bases so he does look even more out of scale when displayed with them. I always planned on pairing up Hal with the eventual Flash PF. I'm sure Flash will not be on a tall base (like the Trinity) and will probably display well with GL.

As for Deadpool. That PF is undersized. I have him displayed with my Punisher COM and they look PERFECT together. DP is 1" taller than Punisher in the comics. However, when I saw pics of the classic Punisher PF next to Wade, he was taller than Deadpool. That shouldn't be the case. So, I measured him. DP is listed at 6' 2" by Marvel. That means the DP PF should be 18.5" tall. He actually clocks in at just over 17.5" tall. So, there's no doubt he's undersized. That's why he looks perfect next to my Punisher COM and is undersized when displayed next to the classic Punisher PF. It doesn't matter to me in the least because I have him displayed next to my Punisher COM and they look great together. They are not getting split up anytime soon.

I don't personally get hung up on scale that much unless it's a glaring difference. No company puts ALL of their pieces out in perfect scale. There will always be a varying degree in scale by every company. I could never return a statue I really like if the scale is only off by an inch or less. I'll just group the larger pieces together and do the same with the slightly smaller ones. It works out fine that way for me personally.

Last edited:
Back