Sideshow announces new LOTR polystone at SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fritz said:
Food for thought...

Is it better to have a crappy sculptor that worked on a movie create a collectible or to have a great sculptor that didn't work on a movie create a collectible?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anyone at Weta is crappy. It's simply something to ponder when wondering how someone other than Weta could do a LotR collectible justice.

Except the only way to even consider your post and the question you posed is to assume a Weta sculptor was "crappy". Especially when you make it LOTR-specific... Can other sculptors do LOTR justice? I have no doubt. But to me, that is what made SSW special, having the actual artists of the movie production make the sculptures.

Beren

All the above points are valid I think. :peace

I love that the Weta artists worked on the pieces. Sideshow has a brilliant team of sculptors, and is perfectly capable of doing LOTR justice as well. I have orders in place for both their PF's and am excited about that line.

I would love to see the old SSW team rejoin. I would be content for a company like Sideshow or GG to pick up the solid resin sculpted 1/6 line alone, BUT, it would be much more appealing to me if this happened with a direct blessing from the Weta group, including transfer of their plans for unmanufactured items and very importantly, an identically consistent base.

Just Dreaming. :eek:

from what was said at SDCC, SS is not repeating the stuff already released by SSW but will go with 'new' characters that have not been made and even characters not in the movies but imagined in the books.

Buzzie said:
I think the new line would be perfect for more
Riders (Arwen, Eomer, Faramir, MoS etc.) and
more Monsters.. cause these can not easily be
done in PF...

Bigger Balrog 3 :chew

Big Battle Troll :chew

Big Fell Beast :chew

Gwaihir with Gandalf :chew

Bigger Mumak :chew

and.. biiiiiiiiig BARAD DUR :chew :chew
Big Fell Beast : YES
Gwaihir with Gandalf : YES
And biiiiiiiiig BARAD DUR : YES

but NO another Big Balrog, and big Cave troll :cool:
they actual are enought awesone and terrific (but very expansive I know)

Faramir

Denethor on Throne

King Theoden on Throne "under spell" when he looks old etc.

Eomer on Steed

Arwen on Steed

Gandalf with Horse and Carraige (opening scene, Fellowship)

Mouth of Sauron on Steed

Hobbit Pippen

Bilbo's House Environment

etc.

phanatix said:
from what was said at SDCC, SS is not repeating the stuff already released by SSW but will go with 'new' characters that have not been made and even characters not in the movies but imagined in the books.

Anyone knows if there were any other creatures ot monsters that SSW forgot to make??? I want more creatures!!!

student_toe5 said:
Anyone knows if there were any other creatures ot monsters that SSW forgot to make??? I want more creatures!!!

The Barrow Wright is the obvious one, maybe Old Man Willow?

Not Monsters or creatures as such but the Druadan are not quite human either.

Rather than an Uruk-hai they could do a Half Orc.

But they didn't really forget to make them, as they weren't actually in the movie.

You could however include the 'great beasts' that drew Grond!

This is awesome news! I was really bummed earlier this year when I thought we had seen the last of our SS LOTR collectibles. Since they are continuing the polystone, here's my wish list...

BUSTS

Eowyn
Faramir
Hadril
Celeborn
Morgul Lord
Sauron
Citadel Guard (Guy with the wings on his helmet)

STATUES

Arwen and Frodo on Asfaloth
Mumak with Master and riders
Treebeard (or any Ent for that matter)

ENVIRONMENTS

Rivendell
Bag End
Barad-Dur

Now of course I would want them to be right in line with what is already released, so the collection retains it's continuity. And I know they are making a Morgul Lord Legendary bust, but I would just rather have one that is closer to the size of the regular busts. Same goes for Sauron. They should be bigger than the regular people, but not that much bigger.

Statues should be the same size, with Treebeard being bigger, but not so huge he's undisplayable. Arwen/Frodo/Asfaloth should be in scale with the others, and the environments should be in scale with the others for the most part. Obviously Rivendell will need to be bigger to allow for the greater detail. Barad-Dur should be about the same size as Orthanc.

Last edited:
Back