Sideshow 12" Stormtrooper PICTURE THREAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your concern Iggy, they have gone up in price as you pointed out. I'm use to spending 100 + for the other figures but as you mentioned the price of there products go up so should there qaulity. This is my first SS fig so I dont have much to compare. But my first initial feeling was, its OK. Needed a fair bit of futzing but once done its a very nice figure and now enjoy it. I dont mind futzing if it will makes the figure look 10x better in this case. Its a hobby :) But I think its unfair for the peeps who wish they can futz but are worried of wrecking the trooper to get it looking its best:(:monkey2 When in most eyes it should be this way from the start.

OK, got mine in today!!! I did the hot water trick and a little futz here and there and I think I got him where I want him.:monkey3
TROOP.jpg
[/IMG]

Holy Grail of the STormy 1/6:monkey5

Dude, that thing is soooo bad. What I don't get is this: why didn't hasbro do to the SW line what they do with that 12" Gi Joe line - sculpted arms and head with standard issue body and clothing from the waist down. They are like $16 retail, and look great compared to what we got in the SW line.

IMG_12773.JPG

Nice pictures! What are those medals you got there?

LOL, just miscelanneous stuff. The ones on the right are from winning a couple of Counterstrike tournaments back in the day, the ones on the left are for deploying last year and for getting promoted this year. My tassle from high school graduation is in there too. Not intentional, I just snapped the pic cause I had him on my dresser at the time. The certificate on the wall behind him says "You're my everday HERO! Because..."you savd my fish" LOL, my son gave it to me when he was five. There's a long, harrowing, tale behind it that involves our cat and his fish...and the garbage disposal too! In the end, the fish was fine:D

Great job on this..did you use any white paint at all to fix the corners of the eyes?..how did you fix the brow? just added more matte black to even it?.

I think even maybe using a gundam black fine detail marker for the lines around the ear pieces would help it look more canon.

Yes, I used liquitex titanium white and a little grey matched well with SS paint also repainted the front portion of helmet (white) to cover the awfully painted black band then repainted band flat black. I actually touched up several portions of white on helmet with that paint mix and I can't see the difference

I'll have to take a look about those ear pieces...couldn't hurt :lol

Well, I was going to fix the loose shoulder joint on mine, but I couldn't get it fixed, and I realized that I was probably never going to pose him with his right arm sticking straight out so I figured 'what's the point?' and now I've pieced him back together, and he looks sweet. I'm considering getting a second Trooper.

Most definitely my favorite Sideshow Star Wars figure yet.

Just need some velcro to keep that back armor piece down, and maybe some stuff to pad the shin armor and hold it in place, he's showing a bit too much leg ;)

I am thinking about just putting all the armor on a crappy old body and spraying the parts with Taiyama gloss spray can, and letting it dry on that body..would be easier i think then trying to suspend each piece of armor..i am trying to brainstorm how i am going to do this.

My opinion of this figure has changed completely. I removed the elastic straps and velcroed all of the armored pieces, did the boiling water treatment, went over all of the detailing on the helmet with a fine micron pen, and did Justin's Future floor wax treatment and it improved this figure 100%. My Stormie now looks like he just stepped out of the film. I thought I was going to have to completely repaint it and spray with a clearcoat gloss but after seeing Justin's photos I went with the easiest solution and it works. Cost me $6 for a bottle of floor wax and another $5 for white and black velcro at Wal-Mart so I only had to put in a total of $11 to improve it to where it should have been right out of the box. Not bad.

So, what did you velcro?, the shin armor and everything?..all to the body glove?..stuck it to the suit? would that leave residue?, and the pen..what did you use this for on the helmet?.

I cut some strips of velcro and put them in the armor and on the suit so they would stay firmly in place. I removed the elastic straps which were pushing up the shoulders and giving him "shoulder pads." I used a fine black micron pen to sharpen the black band on the helmet, the lenses and on the tips of the aerators. I'll post pics if I can find a place to host them but I am totally blown away what a difference it makes from what came right out of the box.

Last edited:
I am thinking about just putting all the armor on a crappy old body and spraying the parts with Taiyama gloss spray can, and letting it dry on that body..would be easier i think then trying to suspend each piece of armor..i am trying to brainstorm how i am going to do this.

Val, it took me literally 15 minutes to apply the future to the armor carefully. I just took off all the armor and brushed it all on. just used my bare fingers to hold the pieces as I brushed the future on. Then stood the pieces on a piece of paper to dry. Drying takes maybe 20 minutes until you can lightly touch it again. I did 3 coats and it looks :horror:google

Ok, cool..so you think Future is better to use then gloss spray from a can?, Future will wear off after time right?..i know Taiyama gloss spray stays glossy..my 18inch RoboCop was sprayed with it and that was like 2 years or more ago and its still very glossy..used to the whole can on him though.

If the Future wears off over time, you can always re-gloss it with another coat. One bottle is going to last me a lifetime. This stuff really is amazing. I'll probably use it on Vader's helmet for that polished shine.

So, it says on the bottle its safe for plastic then?...i might get that then instead..might be the cheaper route.

Back