Sideshow 12" Mummy from 2003 - Your thoughts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaryCreature

Freaked Out
Reaction score
This is the guy:

Mummy1.jpg

Mummy2.jpg

I remember ordering this figure from Sideshow when it came out in 2003 and thinking to myself that the production run of 3000 figures was about average.

For some reason, this figure has risen in price dramatically on the secondary market. In the past, I've seen it sold as high as $250 or $300! Now, that was a couple of years ago when the economy was better, but even now it always commands a respectable price.

Three thousand figures should be enough to go around, but is demand really that high in regard to supply? I mean, there's nothing unusual about the figure (e.g., signed by Sara Karloff or wrapped in bandages from King Tut's tomb) or anything that would make it stand out from the rest of the Sideshow 12" figures. Of course, it is THE MUMMY and it is BORIS KARLOFF, so maybe that's the key.

It's a kewl figure with a great sculpt. The tight bandages suck. I would love to rewrap mine, but as you pointed out, he is far to valuable to do that. Maybe recast the head and make one?

I think the Mummy is iconic enough and it is the best/really only 1/6 version. However, like Evil said the wraps suck. They are nicely done... but so tight that you can pose him for crap, not to mention a lot of people got figures with twisted limbs that the bandages kept at an odd angle.

Although, have to admit I got real lucky when I got the Mummy figure. Found 2 a year ago that were MISB for $40, but it was buy one get one 1/2 off :rock

Send mine to Les some time ago (didn't like how they wrapped him) to update him.
Will post photos when he has arrived ;-)

I actually think I might want to do a custom of this.
Somebody once pointed me in the direction of a bobble-head type figure that had a great sculpt, but I don't remember which one it was. Also, would the Ardeth Bay head work?

Thanks!

I think you'd want to go with the original Mummy sculpt... its more specific looking, has the right kind of rot, etc.

I'd love to see a redone version. But, honesly I wrapped my Mumm-Ra figure and it was a ^^^^^^ to do... not a project I'd want to tackle a 2nd time :lol

This is just a shot of him w/o robes next to the Mummy:

mumm-rabane.jpg

And 2 more with the robes. I had a nice layer of super glue on my finger tips for a week :lol

mumm-rafinalb.jpg

mumm-rafinala.jpg

I think the Mummy is iconic enough and it is the best/really only 1/6 version. However, like Evil said the wraps suck. They are nicely done... but so tight that you can pose him for crap, not to mention a lot of people got figures with twisted limbs that the bandages kept at an odd angle.

Although, have to admit I got real lucky when I got the Mummy figure. Found 2 a year ago that were MISB for $40, but it was buy one get one 1/2 off :rock
I'd argue that the Ardeth Bey Mummy is the better figure. The wrapped version was barely seen on screen, and when he was, it was with his arms crossed in his sarcophagus, motionless; or a hand reaching from off screen. Combined with the unposeable nature of the wrapped version makes me prefer Bey.

I wish Sideshow would do another 1:6 wrapped version, though this time as a 1:6 statue in his sarcophagus (identical to the PF statue) that would pair well with the other Universal Monsters.

Awesome Mumm-Ra by the way! :clap

Have to agree with everything said. Even though, in the pics his wraps look fairly clean, they actually have a dirty green tinge to them. It would have been great if they hadn't wrapped it so tight. Have no idea why it's value has risen so much. Just one of them odd figures that it happens to.

21e5j07.jpg

Have to agree with everything said. Even though, in the pics his wraps look fairly clean, they actually have a dirty green tinge to them. It would have been great if they hadn't wrapped it so tight. Have no idea why it's value has risen so much. Just one of them odd figures that it happens to.

21e5j07.jpg

That's a perfect solution there Creech! If only he could cross his arms. :lol

Yeah.:lol If it weren't for the three points of articulation (head and two wrists) he's be a 1/6th Premium format figure. :lol

Do a search on SS site for The Mummy and it comes up 'No image available'. https://www.sideshowtoy.com/search.php

Click on that and up it comes. https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=4418R

Notice there is no real description. It used to say "The figure features of 20 points of articulation..." I wonder what happened to the other 17. :lol

Last edited:
Yes Creecher, I wish he came like that.
The sculpt is splendid though

This is how I asked Les to make mine :)

sdcc02sideshow25.jpg

Who did that figure amarcord? Nice wraps. Looks tight without digging into the articulated areas. As screamingmetal said, "The wrapped version was barely seen on screen, and when he was, it was with his arms crossed in his sarcophagus." I hope yours will be able to do that. I surely wish mine was able to. Even if it can't, I'm sure it will suit the purpose you have in mind for it, and a great improvement on what you started out with. :rock

It is the Sideshow prototype , I guess something went wrong during production.

Thank you for the good luck wishing Creecher :)

Here is a in progress photo from Les:

MUMMY1.jpg

A fine sculpt made better by the FigureMaster. Egad's, even the ring looks real. He's such a F'Master.

Wow, can't wait to see how the figure turns out! Les' previous Mummy figure was a work of art :lecture

Amarcord... you have the best toys :rock

Back