Sideshow 1:6 Yoda (ESB)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't see it, but its not a bad attempt. View attachment 419657
And with the closed eye one its not even close to a contest I think.

I have the HT, and I love it. It feels like a high end collectible.

But that view from the front is not the best HT could have done.

Look at the AOTC Yoda, that’s more accurate to its movie representation than these two.

I'll try to explain more what I mean with these comparison shots.

Hot Toys' is a great collectible piece, feels high quality, the hair adds a great effect, paintapps are superb... but the sculpt is too "fat" and idealized.

Sideshow's attempt is still idealized, but seems to be a better sculpt. Poor paintapps in comparison to HT, no added hair, these factors are those that make Sideshow end up offering a poorer product. IMO.

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-3 bw.jpg

Does anyone have any in hand pic?? Some close up curious to see the paint job, on the head sculpt, on the eyes there is no video online either

I'll try to explain more what I mean with these comparison shots.

Hot Toys' is a great collectible piece, feels high quality, the hair adds a great effect, paintapps are superb... but the sculpt is too "fat" and idealized.

Sideshow's attempt is still idealized, but seems to be a better sculpt. Poor paintapps in comparison to HT, no added hair, these factors are those that make Sideshow end up offering a poorer product. IMO.

I agree Parrasmanic and great comparison, Sideshow's sculpt is closer to the original puppet but with poorer paint.
I own both HT's and Medicom's ESB Yoda, so I have more than enough Yoda at the moment.

I think we tend to forget Yoda in the ot was mostly lit in a specific way. When you look at a figure holding it in your hand or on display versus trying to get similar lighting, faces especially can look different. Credit to this new Sideshow release but for 1:6 to me nothing comes closer to the puppet then the Hot Toys one in hand, especially the closed eye portrait. It is one of my top 3 figures for sure.

I think Hot Toys idolized his sculpt like they tend to with human characters rather then going for 100% likeness. I can see why, but personally his little "errors" in addition to the eyes is what made ot Yoda still today on bluray look alive. Any 1:6 Yoda should really been a PERS release with todays engineering, but thats nitpicking.

M7kyCzt.jpg

Yeah I'd say they're both about equally off. The HT does at least look more high quality, but it's too perfect and missing that sort of frumpy and asymmetrical quality the puppet had.

Back