Sideshow 1/6 Starcraft Raynor Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure BigShot is the company that develops all their bodies. SSC's people still put work in it. Mestas on the paint, Grove on the sculpt, Ellis on whatever leather work is involved. Not exactly sure how many of those guys are employees vs. contractors, but honestly, it's just semantics.

It's still Sideshow's production. They paid someone to make a prototype body. It's still up to Sideshow to get it produced. This isn't like Star Ace making a figure and Sideshow selling it, which is what the other guys were implying. Sideshow gets the credit for making a bad-ass looking figure.

"We spent nearly 2 years working closely with our friends at Sideshow Collectibles on the design, sculpture, and prototypes of this incredible figure of Jim Raynor the Terran Space Marine from the hugely popular STAR CRAFT franchise." - BigShot Toyworks

It may be branded and distributed by Sideshow and Sideshow artists may have worked on it, but majority of the work came from Big Shot, basically it reads to me Sideshow took the prototype and polished it up.

I'm pretty sure BigShot is the company that develops all their bodies. SSC's people still put work in it. Mestas on the paint, Grove on the sculpt, Ellis on whatever leather work is involved. Not exactly sure how many of those guys are employees vs. contractors, but honestly, it's just semantics.

It's still Sideshow's production. They paid someone to make a prototype body. It's still up to Sideshow to get it produced. This isn't like Star Ace making a figure and Sideshow selling it, which is what the other guys were implying. Sideshow gets the credit for making a bad-ass looking figure.

No doubt, It's a SideShow 1/6 figure, but BigShot should share in the credit too. I hope they knock it out of this world.

It's been so long since this was announced, I'm finally starting to get excited about getting it!

"We spent nearly 2 years working closely with our friends at Sideshow Collectibles on the design, sculpture, and prototypes of this incredible figure of Jim Raynor the Terran Space Marine from the hugely popular STAR CRAFT franchise." - BigShot Toyworks

It may be branded and distributed by Sideshow and Sideshow artists may have worked on it, but majority of the work came from Big Shot, basically it reads to me Sideshow took the prototype and polished it up.

TL;DR BigShot made a badass prototype. Sideshow had the vision, funding and knowledge to get it produced, without that, the prototype is worthless

Developing a prototype is 50% of the process. The other 50% is getting it produced. BigShot did 50% of the prototype. Grove gets 10% for the head, Mestas and Fichtenmayer get 35% for the paintwork and Ellis can get 5% for that tiny holster (sorry, dude). That means BigShot did 25% of the work in total. Hardly a majority.

I think you're grossly underestimating how important production is. It's not like SSC called up BigShot and two years later, SSC sent BigShot's proto to the factory and there it is. SSC still put a bunch of work in. . . working with Blizzard at each step to get it approved. Designing packaging, coordinating with their in-house staff, and outside contractors to get the paint, sculpting and soft goods completed. And the biggest, most tedious part of the process, communicating with the factory. There's a LOT of work that BigShot DIDN'T do. You may not believe it, but I Sideshow (as a company, made up of individuals) did the majority of the work on the project. BigShot designed the biggest chunk of it, but they're only a part of the first step (well, second step, if you consider wrangling the license the first step).

As you can see on BigShot's page, they also worked on 3A and threezero stuff. . . but it's not called a BigShot Toyworks figure. It's called whoever put up the money and got it produced. That's how the creative field works. What's the first credit you see when you watch a movie? A ________________ Production. That's how important production is. The folks that put up the money and keep the wheels moving.

When Rainman sculpts a head, has Yunsil do the clothing, has the resin factory cast his parts, and Aeon paints the stuff, it's still a Rainman figure. . . because he's the guy who heads up the whole thing, Rainman gets the credit for the project.

There's a bunch of other people that put work in on this figure. BigShot definitely put in a lot of work, it's a huge figure, but there were a lot of other people that had a hand in this project, and they all worked under Sideshow's direction.

Oh I wasn't saying it should be a "BigShot" labelled figure, I'm just saying it came out so well because BigShot's original prototype was the foundation which put into motion the fantastic figure we are seeing now. When I said Sideshow took the prototype and polished it up I meant all that factory stuff, money, licensees, approval etc, while that is a lot of hard work the design of the whole figure comes back to BigShot.

Oh I wasn't saying it should be a "BigShot" labelled figure, I'm just saying it came out so well because BigShot's original prototype was the foundation which put into motion the fantastic figure we are seeing now. When I said Sideshow took the prototype and polished it up I meant all that factory stuff, money, licensees, approval etc, while that is a lot of hard work the design of the whole figure comes back to BigShot.

I understand your point of view, so let me ask you this. . . if the Raynor production figure looks great because BigShot designed a great prototype, who is to blame for the Snake Plissken production figure looking bad?

I understand your point of view, so let me ask you this. . . if the Raynor production figure looks great because BigShot designed a great prototype, who is to blame for the Snake Plissken production figure looking bad?

Sideshow. Because clearly their prototype didn't tranistion well into production. They didn't make a realistic prototype for production purposes where as BigShot provided Sideshow with an amazing prototype that did tranistion well.

I can't wrap my brain around that thought process. When the product is bad, it's Sideshow's fault, and when it's good, then that must be because someone else had a hand in it.

What are your thoughts on SSC's female body? It's too tall for 1/6, and there have been reports of breakage. BigShot designed that body, they are to blame for a poor design, yes?

I can't wrap my brain around that thought process. When the product is bad, it's Sideshow's fault, and when it's good, then that must be because someone else had a hand in it.

What are your thoughts on SSC's female body? It's too tall for 1/6, and there have been reports of breakage. BigShot designed that body, they are to blame for a poor design, yes?

Don't know anything about the body but yea if BigShot designed the body then they're to blame for the poor design, yes.

Okay, that's fair. One last question, do you think the Nathan Drake figure turned out badly because Trevor Grove did not provide a well designed prototype sculpt?

Question, will anyone receive these early and do photo reviews like some others from HT? So fricken psyched for this one the lights and gauntlets look so beastly. Also this threads been on track for too long, we should start useless wishlists for more 1/6 SC. Anyone know if their license inclues original starcraft? If so they could potentially make a firebat using many of the same or similar pieces. fire.jpgterran_firebat_by_kordal-d3wjqux.jpgStarcraft Firebat.jpg

I'd love to see a Sarah Kerrigan to go with RaynorSara-Kerrigan-Starcraft-2.jpg78c57354640a889b23d24e2189c98adb.jpg

See, I love starcraft and I'd only get him if I KNEW others were coming because that's too many marines. Also the box art and joint strength will be the other 2 factors. I'll drop another 500 bucks if it ends up being a real work of art but you best believe we'll need a pair of zerglings/a hydralisk or a dark templar to fight. Best part of a starcraft line is there's no face sculpts that can be screwed up it's really just joint quality for stuff this big.
Id love more figures man, but I'm doubtful we will even see Tychus.

No, sideshow put in their stupid eye system and it messed up the sculpt, made it look fat.

So then why is it that when Sideshow's production does something good, then it's because it was already a good prototype to begin with and Sideshow doesn't get the credit, but when they do something bad, it's not because of the prototype, it's because of Sideshow's bad production? You can't have it both ways. Either Sideshow's production has an impact on the final product or it doesn't.

Keep in mind, we're talking about how the product looks, we have no idea how it operates at this point, as far as poseability and tightness of joints. That's the kind of thing BigShot engineered. We can only see paint applications right now, which BigShot has nothing to do with. I'm not understanding why you're trying to credit BigShot with a job well done at this point. Knock on wood, but this thing could come out with floppy joints, and completely fall apart, and that would be on BigShot.

So then why is it that when Sideshow's production does something good, then it's because it was already a good prototype to begin with and Sideshow doesn't get the credit, but when they do something bad, it's not because of the prototype, it's because of Sideshow's bad production? You can't have it both ways. Either Sideshow's production has an impact on the final product or it doesn't.

Keep in mind, we're talking about how the product looks, we have no idea how it operates at this point, as far as poseability and tightness of joints. That's the kind of thing BigShot engineered. We can only see paint applications right now, which BigShot has nothing to do with. I'm not understanding why you're trying to credit BigShot with a job well done at this point. Knock on wood, but this thing could come out with floppy joints, and completely fall apart, and that would be on BigShot.

You aren't really making sense to me man, I must of read that first paragraph like 5 times to try and understand what you are saying haha... I think I got it.

Q: "So then why is it that when Sideshow's production does something good, then it's because it was already a good prototype to begin with and Sideshow doesn't get the credit"
A: Im not talking about whether Sideshow's production did good or bad, Raynor came out really well because BigShot made such a great prototype which was a huge part of this figure coming together which Sideshow then produced. Its successful end result had nothing to do with Sideshow's production but Yes Sideshow should still gets credit for helping because they funded and produced it, no one said they didn't...

Q: "but when they do something bad, it's not because of the prototype, it's because of Sideshow's bad production?"
A: Well I can't really answer that because we haven't seen a bad end result from BigShot, just one good result, you are comparing a BigShot Prototype to Sideshow production figure VS a Sideshow Prototype to Sideshow production figure, thats apples to oranges. If BigShot made a terrible prototype and then the sideshow production result was terrible I wouldn't say Sideshow messed it up, id say it was BigShot's fault...

...I'm guessing you are referring to Drake and Snake when you say "Do something bad", well BigShot didn't work on those prototypes so I can't say why they came out bad after production, those were entirely made by Sideshow.

"You can't have it both ways. Either Sideshow's production has an impact on the final product or it doesn't."
A: Yes you can have it both ways, on Raynor the prototype was made by an out side company that did great work, on Snake and Drake those were both done entirely by Sideshow. So Sideshow didn't have the same impact on both final products (Raynor VS Snake/Drake) because they came from different companies (BigShot VS Sideshow). This is the point I was trying to make, Raynor came out so well because of BigShot...

"I'm not understanding why you're trying to credit BigShot with a job well done at this point. Knock on wood, but this thing could come out with floppy joints, and completely fall apart, and that would be on BigShot."
A: Yes it could come out with floppy joints and fall apart, but thats not what was being discussed, you never said anything about Snake and Drake's possibility or stability, the conversation we have been having has been entirely cosmetic.

Final production shots of Raynor are up now:
NEW Photos

100181_press12.jpg

Rook says that this next shot is all "in camera." These location shoots must be the reason the prices are going up...

100181_press02.jpg

Back