Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each time I contact them they say it is coming in the next 2 weeks. :gah:

tumblr_lqx85siK031qdezf9o1_500.gif

When you don't pull the middle leg all the way out (and only part way like it looks in the movies), then it can be a bit tricky to get all the feet lying flat on the ground. But it CAN eventually be done. :)

Just curious for those who owns the R2D2 - is the third leg able to articulate?

Thanks.

Cancelled *one day* before it was due to ship based on initial photos.

Kamandi and others later on started to make me re-think.

So R2 joined the squad today:

b3187e6d32e11e1dbc6d83d3ee8cfbca.jpg

He screams 1977:

4ef5164672a4cece45644b1ef24a38ff.jpg

And takes his place with a couple of other design classics on my desk:

eb55bbe20ae62beeaee1b5d7052a9232.jpg

Quality: no worse than the Probe Droid. Light, but whatever.

Paint: better than I initially thought.

Accessories: won't leave the box.

Lights: those pop!

QC: seams not that seamy. Some weathering overspray on the centre photoreceptor (that's High Nerd for "eye") that I promptly removed with rubbing alcohol to restore gloss. Doors and hatches not particularly loose.

I like it a lot. Will keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not an experienced droid-futzer; that being said I think this is a more correct/typical angle for that central leg:

2e0dee4c2854dc27fa3a0f0ebf713262.jpg

One more mostly white figure for ZE! :lol R2's definitely a cool little bugger. Gets a lot of gripe for no heft, but it looks nice on the shelf.

That clock is rather daring for your space, isn't it? Awesome clock though.

Thanks for the reply.
Seems like mine is a defect since the third leg can't articulate / move.
Any idea on how to rectify this via DIY?

Thanks

The middle leg is spring loaded. You push in and it will click to unlock and then extend. Push it back in and it clicks and stays in the retracted position.

The middle leg is spring loaded. You push in and it will click to unlock and then extend. Push it back in and it clicks and stays in the retracted position.

Thanks for the feedback Kamandi, yup... what you have described is fine. The R2 i have is capable of doing that.
The only thing that I'm concern is whether when the third leg is extended, does the "ankle" portion able to move? (front and back / pivot movement)?

Thanks.

How can we tell whether it is just "paint-locked?"

The ankle joint should pivot, but it's possible the weathering paints have gummed up the joint, acting like glue. You can possibly force it lose to break the paint bond or use some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip and cloth first around the joint. Possibly even just some very hot water to start (dip the third leg in it).

One more mostly white figure for ZE! :lol R2's definitely a cool little bugger. Gets a lot of gripe for no heft, but it looks nice on the shelf.

That clock is rather daring for your space, isn't it? Awesome clock though.

R2's colour palette does match the stormtroopers nicely. I erred on the side of caution when I cancelled initially, but really...no regrets on this one. I have only two nitpicks...I think he's slightly underscaled but that may be a mysterious LFL thing...and the blue paint could be more metallic-gloss - could be remedied but not a big deal to me. I removed the glob of silver on the centre photoreceptor easily, and that was it.

I have some issues with SSC but they do seem to nail droids and machines.

The clock radio? LOL...only the studio/dining room is mostly white, but the rest of the space has a lot of warm greys and natural wood tones. You may remember from the snowtrooper photos way back. ;) Tivoli does has some cool designs. Nice warm sounds, too.

Good choice on R2 ZE

I think so. Pleasant surprise. I think I got a little lucky on QC, maybe.

Hey ZE, what did you to to remove the silver glob on your r2?

The flat, dull edge (i.e. other side) of an X-Acto knife blade, very little pressure (almost none) run over the silver to reveal the blue underneath. Takes a little dexterity but not too difficult.

Too much pressure and you'd likely take the blue off too.

The ankle joint should pivot, but it's possible the weathering paints have gummed up the joint, acting like glue. You can possibly force it lose to break the paint bond or use some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip and cloth first around the joint. Possibly even just some very hot water to start (dip the third leg in it).

Thanks a bunch, Pixelpiper... i did what you have advice. Rubbing a little amount of alcohol around the joint and a little effort to "jerk" the joint and viola... it moves.
Thanks a bunch to all who have assist me on this too. :clap

Anyone else had trouble getting a decent replacement dome? After my first dome had blobs of glue on it, I waited three months for a replacement. The replacement looks worse - the top panel doesn't stay closed and the spring loaded panel that houses the lightsaber can't sit flush with the dome, it's constantly pressed down. Emailed Sideshow with pics and received this response:

"Thank you for contacting us and we’re terribly sorry that your replacement arrived with some issues. Unfortunately, we do not have any replacements for your R2-D2 dome that would be a significant improvement over your current item. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. "

They went on to offer me a $20 coupon. NOT happy.

Anyone else had trouble getting a decent replacement dome? After my first dome had blobs of glue on it, I waited three months for a replacement. The replacement looks worse - the top panel doesn't stay closed and the spring loaded panel that houses the lightsaber can't sit flush with the dome, it's constantly pressed down. Emailed Sideshow with pics and received this response:

"Thank you for contacting us and we’re terribly sorry that your replacement arrived with some issues. Unfortunately, we do not have any replacements for your R2-D2 dome that would be a significant improvement over your current item. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. "

They went on to offer me a $20 coupon. NOT happy.

I got the same freaking response from SS. I don't want a $20 credit, I just want a dome that isn't messed up. Its disappointing to know that every R2 in their inventory is equally messed up or worse then what I received.

Back